Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jun 11, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #6,016 of 6,092
...or another option... get one of those cheater adapters that doesn't have the grounding pin on the plug side, basically floating your ground, and plug the V281 into that. See if the noise goes away. You can also try a DC blocker. Sometimes you can have DC power corruption on your AC lines.

Edit: Yet another test. Since you have a UPS, unplug the UPS from the wall and see if the V281 still has white noise while on battery power.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #6,017 of 6,092
...or another option... get one of those cheater adapters that doesn't have the grounding pin on the plug side, basically floating your ground, and plug the V281 into that. See if the noise goes away. You can also try a DC blocker. Sometimes you can have DC power corruption on your AC lines.

Edit: Yet another test. Since you have a UPS, unplug the UPS from the wall and see if the V281 still has white noise while on battery power.
UPS isn't the problem as my Mac that doesn't exhibit this issue uses it as well for its power. It's only when I use my USB/HDMI switcher to use my desktop that it starts to become an issue. When it's switched to my Mac, the problem goes away.

As an example of it happening, if I simply scroll with my mouse, the sound starts for 2-3 seconds then stops.

Jun 11, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #6,018 of 6,092
UPS isn't the problem as my Mac that doesn't exhibit this issue uses it as well for its power. It's only when I use my USB/HDMI switcher to use my desktop that it starts to become an issue. When it's switched to my Mac, the problem goes away.

As an example of it happening, if I simply scroll with my mouse, the sound starts for 2-3 seconds then stops.
So the usb cable from the dac is not connected directly into the desktop? It seems like there's a lot of stuff in your chain and there's a lot to rule out in terms of whats causing the issue.

Have you tried connecting via usb directly from the desktop into your dac into the amp? If that has no issues then its safe to say that its not the amp issue but something else in your chain.

Unplug the UPS from the outlet. And have the computer components and audio components on separate power strips.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #6,019 of 6,092
So the usb cable from the dac is not connected directly into the desktop? It seems like there's a lot of stuff in your chain and there's a lot to rule out in terms of whats causing the issue.

Have you tried connecting via usb directly from the desktop into your dac into the amp? If that has no issues then its safe to say that its not the amp issue but something else in your chain.

Unplug the UPS from the outlet. And have the computer components and audio components on separate power strips.
The DAC altogether is not an issue because if I completely power it off, the issue still happens. I can have the amp powered on with just the power cable and I still hear the sound.

Jun 11, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #6,020 of 6,092
The DAC altogether is not an issue because if I completely power it off, the issue still happens. I can have the amp powered on with just the power cable and I still hear the sound.
It might be helpful to detail what your exact chain is and what fixes you've tried. That way its clear what has been tested so you won't get repeat suggestions and might get other ideas to test out.

Jun 11, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #6,021 of 6,092
Ok, I think I've 100% pinpointed the issue to my desktop. If I have a YouTube video running on my desktop, switch to my Mac, I still hear the noise. If I don't have the video running, switch to my Mac, I don't hear the noise. That tells me my desktop is putting out electrical interference of some sort... question is why is the amplifier sensitive to it.

I don't want to hijack this thread more than it already is with this issue, so I'll just try to troubleshoot. Thanks all for chiming in!

Jun 11, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #6,022 of 6,092
If it can be useful to you, this evening I deliberately connected the following devices to a single socket + various multi-socket adapters (multi-sockets costing a few euros) : a smartphone charger, laptop charger, a lamp, DAC + V200 (to make any audiophile shudder). I set the pre-gain to -12 on the V200, connected the Sony MDR-1AM2 16 ohm closed headphones and I did not hear any micro noise. I did a further check and turned the volume knob to 3 o'clock, with the track paused, here too it is absolutely silent.

In my opinion your V280 must not make any noise at all.
If it is a noise that comes from the transformer, I see it as hard to silence it.

Jun 11, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #6,023 of 6,092
I was reading earlier in this thread that this amp may not be a good match for iems since they are too sensitive. How audible is the noise? I wanted to use this as an amp for iems.

Jun 11, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #6,024 of 6,092
I was reading earlier in this thread that this amp may not be a good match for iems since they are too sensitive. How audible is the noise? I wanted to use this as an amp for iems.
.... the sensitivity of IEMs can be addressed by V281 by setting the rear DIP pre-gain switches to 'negative dB' levels.

Jun 11, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #6,025 of 6,092
I've used my V281 to drive a few IEMs now, one of which is very senstive, the Empire Ears Odin.

Silent as the grave. No noise.

Jun 11, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #6,026 of 6,092
I've used my V281 to drive a few IEMs now, one of which is very senstive, the Empire Ears Odin.

Silent as the grave. No noise.
.... the sensitivity of IEMs can be addressed by V281 by setting the rear DIP pre-gain switches to 'negative dB' levels.
Thank you for the confirmation! My plan is to utilize my external dac connected to v281 that will sit on my desk next to my monitor to use with iems. I am hoping to replace the lotoo mjolnir that I am currently using, since I really don't need the battery / portability function.

Jun 11, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #6,027 of 6,092
Thank you for the confirmation! My plan is to utilize my external dac connected to v281 that will sit on my desk next to my monitor to use with iems. I am hoping to replace the lotoo mjolnir that I am currently using, since I really don't need the battery / portability function.

From my Aroma Audio Jewel review:

Violectric HPA V281:

As I mentioned earlier, I did extensive listening to the Aroma Audio Jewel from my best desktop setup, Bifrost 2/64>Violectric HPA V281 Special Edition, the recent reissue to the legend. This is a crazy good pairing. First off, there was zero hiss, despite the monster power of this amp. I have the V281 set to its lowest gain setting, and I could often turn the volume to 12 o’clock.

The Violectric’s smooth and slightly warm tone melded with Jewel’s similar voicing, creating a wonderfully rich and seductive sound. Because neither piece of gear is excessively warm, both amp and IEM being only subtly so, you don’t stray into “Too much of a good thing” territory. Instead, they seem made for each other. Moreover, this amp pushes Jewel’s soundstage to the limit and makes it as holographic as these IEMs are capable.
Jewel_&_V281_02.jpg

Jun 12, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #6,028 of 6,092
Welp, good news! I opened the top off of my v281 and noticed the General GROUND-LIFT Jumper was set to GROUND instead of the default LIFT. I changed it to LIFT and fired it back up. All interference I was hearing is now gone. My headphones are whisper quiet. It's a bit of a shame Lake People didn't select the proper default out of the factory, but it is what it is.

Thanks again everyone for chiming in to try & help!

Oh, and shout out to Arthur for trying everything in the book to help me out! Great customer service.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #6,029 of 6,092
Very good, your experience was useful for us. As it should be, if there are no electronics or settings problems, the Violectric has no noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back