Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
Oct 11, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #347 of 1,098
As usually a part missing measurements set.
He is not using XLR out to test headphones , he states that XLR isn't giving more power and this is wrong as we know
and as we can read later on at the comments section by another user.
He even believes that the XLR is for convenience and not differential.
He didn't even bother to read the manual to find out that there are four amplifiers running into this
for a fully balanced out and double the power.
He measured power supply distortion and later on he discovered that the owner has lifted the ground jumpers
but he doesn't state that at the front page but later on at the comments.
As for the -2db at 20Hz i don't know , there is another measurement of the amp at another site and it is dead flat.

Oct 11, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #348 of 1,098
classic Amir then

Oct 11, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #349 of 1,098
As usually a part missing measurements set.
He is not using XLR out to test headphones , he states that XLR isn't giving more power and this is wrong as we know
and as we can read later on at the comments section by another user.
He even believes that the XLR is for convenience and not differential.
He didn't even bother to read the manual to find out that there are four amplifiers running into this
for a fully balanced out and double the power.
He measured power supply distortion and later on he discovered that the owner has lifted the ground jumpers
but he doesn't state that at the front page but later on at the comments.
As for the -2db at 20Hz i don't know , there is another measurement of the amp at another site and it is dead flat.

I think there's only one set of power ratings on the spec sheet for a reason? They don't list power for SE vs BAL.

The high-pass is a head scratcher. But... look at the spec sheet from Violectric compared to V280. Different frequency responses.

The ground lift should have been addressed and then remeasured, I agree.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #350 of 1,098
Reading the manual, there's an interesting bit at the end about setting the output phone jacks to balanced or unbalanced. Haven't seen that before.

EDIT:
Oh I guess it's so you can run dual 1/4" plugs, one per channel, for balanced operation.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #354 of 1,098
Anybody compared balanced V280 vs V281?

I know Violectric said that the amp are exactly the same, but I read somewhere that the V281 has a smoother treble and that V280 is a little more spacious.

Overall V280 is 90% of V281. People who heard both can confirm?

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #355 of 1,098
If I remember correctly Mr. Reim has pointed somewhere that the V280 and V281 amp sections are exactly the same with 281 being slightly more powerful due to larger power supply.
So essentially the 280 is the stripped down version of 281 without bells and whistles.

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #356 of 1,098
Yep, that's how it is. V281 is slightly more powerful, has the relais volume option, the pre-amp functionality, more i/o.

With the US4+ we can see that they went with slightly less power here and there but 10db less noise overall, which is quite remarkable. Let's see if that trickles down in the future.

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #358 of 1,098
Well, it's a different price bracket and there for a reason.

The Violectric line is alive and kicking and has an interesting future ahead, the price gaps will be filled accordingly, in every direction.

Oct 15, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #360 of 1,098
If I remember correctly Mr. Reim has pointed somewhere that the V280 and V281 amp sections are exactly the same with 281 being slightly more powerful due to larger power supply.
So essentially the 280 is the stripped down version of 281 without bells and whistles.

Weird, because the frequency response specs listed by Violectric are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back