Violectric HPA V200 Why not sufficiently appreciated??
Sep 8, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #196 of 341

Quote:
I can't believe they offer something like that with an amp of this caliber.  I got it right after they discontinued the dac and it became an option, happy not to have it.

I bought mine with the dac thrown in. I am actually considering removing it, just in case it has any adverse impact on any electrical signals. AT the time of purchasing I asked if I could buy without the dac and hget a price reduction - didn't happen, obviously already assembled

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #197 of 341
My experience of T1 with V200 is rather great. I guess it is not just about the amp and headphone, but the whole set up. V200 never lacks power, in fact it is one of the most powerful SS amp out there. I do have lots of experiences with v200/phonitor/auditor and T1, but kept V200 in the end. V200 is more engaging and enjoyable than the spl brothers plus all they could offer.

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #198 of 341
I got mine a couple of weeks ago. ordered through Thomann, mine didn't have the USB dac included.

It's definitely an improvement over my XCan V8p (using a d10 as dac). The soundstage seems wider and deeper. Overall, it's cleaner and more involving.
The first day, I thought there was a kind of graininess to it, but I didn't notice it afterward.
The sound is clean and detailed. bass impact is very good. There may be a slight boost in the mids/upper mids ?

I'm happy with the purchase but I guess I was hoping for more.
I like it a lot with my d5000 and 271s.
with the ath-w1000x however, I'd say they don't mate that well. The mids are too forward, either the v200 adds even more mids or it just reveals something I don't like in the audio technica sound signature.

so in the end, I'm still wondering if the Meier Concerto would have been a better choice.
Fortunately, the v200 is really a good mate for the d5000 imho and the denons are still my favorite cans so far.

should I get a betr DAC ?

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #199 of 341

Quote:

so in the end, I'm still wondering if the Meier Concerto would have been a better choice.
Fortunately, the v200 is really a good mate for the d5000 imho and the denons are still my favorite cans so far.

should I get a betr DAC ?

As an owner of XcanV3 - I doubt the V8 is the last word on transparency and wire with gain philosophy.  As for Concerto VS V200 - blah - a little difference here or there, yes.  They're both good SS amps with the V200 sharing DNA with professional equipment and pumps out the horsepower like crazy.  Trade orientation VS consumer orientation?  When it comes to tools - I know what I prefer.

And yes - I think you should've upgraded source before you upgraded amps, but each to their own.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #200 of 341
I had a V8p for three years with the little pinkie PSU and some fancy tubes, before upgraded it to V200. Very happy that I did this.  I'd say concerto is good but not quite on the same level of V200 when driving HD800, T1 or LCD2. The V200 is a very neutral AMP with good balance. It does not have forward mids and will bring whatever the souce has to offer to you. It’s not surprising that the V200 does not go with the ATH as ATH has its trade mark colouration with all their phones. As SP said, upgrade source is very important and V200 will not be the bottle neck of cd players up to 10,000 dollar, or headphones even above 2,000 dollar (my first hand experiences).

Congratulations and enjoy!

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #201 of 341
I don´t find the V200 to be that neutral. Isn´t V100 violectrics attempt at amp for studio use? Would like some V100 to V200 comparisons :).

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #202 of 341
An audiophile amp derived through studio/professional DNA is going to be somewhat neutral - definitely more than any headphone in production that's for sure...German too - think about it...and I didn't even hear the thing, but I get a feeling I know what to expect from such an industrial Germanic design.  Arguing minute differences in tonal character from two designs that seem to attempt a wire with gain philosophy amounts to nothing more than subjectivity.

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #203 of 341
I suggest you hear it before you judge it honestly. No offense but little of what you write  there make sense. But it´s worth a try it may be for you :)

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #204 of 341
No offense taken.

The only reason I am keen on the V200 is for its power output and drive for orthodynamics.  I already have a German studio grade headamp - I don't expect the overall tonality to differ greatly (as opposed to a tube design or pure audiophile design), but hopefully soundstage, dynamics and imaging is better.

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #205 of 341
Well there is different people behind the lehmann black cube, spl phonitor/audior and the violectric amps. I don´t think you can get any idea how they will sound because you have a lehmann which happens to be german :)

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #206 of 341

Quote:
Well there is different people behind the lehmann black cube, spl phonitor/audior and the violectric amps. I don´t think you can get any idea how they will sound because you have a lehmann which happens to be german :)

I have a 2 Vincents, 1 Cayin, 1 Musical Fidelity, 1 Ming Da, 1 Yamaha and 1 Lehman.  All of them are more neutral than any headphone I own.

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #207 of 341
Apples vs Oranges :wink:

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #208 of 341
Can anyone here comment on the V200 VS ROC SA.  These two amps seem to be numero uno contenders when it comes to raw horsepower?

@ oqvist - Care to wager a cool 1k that the V200 measures neutral - I put my money where my mouth is, will you?

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #209 of 341
SP Wild you're gettin a bit outta line here talking down oqvist who's heard the amp...

And wasn't the V200 based off some nakimichi design which were apparently warm-ish from what I've read?  Warm-ish + high power for my LCD2 is why I'd be interested personally =]

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #210 of 341

Quote:
I don´t find the V200 to be that neutral. Isn´t V100 violectrics attempt at amp for studio use? Would like some V100 to V200 comparisons :).

Both V-series amps are consumer hifi-devices. The studio gear is the G-series (G100). V200 apparently sounds more musical than the V100, whatever that means :) 

As for my updates impressions: I´ll be getting my new Audio-GD DAC next week... Then I´ll make the final call if I´ll keep this V200 or not. I´m kinda torn about it: I like many things, but some things also aren´t to my liking. It´s got a very special sound signature, that´s for sure. My favourite is the power in the bass, it has a great slam and really brings the HD 800 alive. The air, while at first is nice, is making all the music sound a bit same. This isn´t really the last word in transparency, it´s more like the music is displayed as powerful splashes that carry the sound. Actually if you read descriptions of classic high end tube sound signatures (at least the stereotype), this is how I would categorize the V200 right now. Maybe it´s just because of the built.in DAC though, as I said I haven´t been able to try it with a good one yet. All in all, I don´t know if this is neutral or not. If neutral means monitor style sound like the one I have in my Genelec active speakers, then these are definately not neutral.

As much as I like parts of the V200 sound signature, I find myself hoping for more transparency and clarity... Less "musicality" actually! Maybe warmth/smoothness are something that are impossible to get with retaining the clarity/transparency? I don´t want either 100%, it´s more like a perfect balance that I´m looking for. And for me right now I don´t feel this is it, but I´m sure that for a lot of people it is. My personal preference probably lies closer to the clarity/transparency ideal than the smoothness, I want the best of both worlds! 

I guess this just proves how personal music is. We all have our preferences... Oh and as for the 1000$ question, well, I´d be very suprised if these measure like studio monitors. To my ears the V200  also sounds warm, smooth and relaxed. However I can easily imagine that this is for many the perfect solid state amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back