Violectric HPA V200 Why not sufficiently appreciated??
Jun 24, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #76 of 341
Agree... I wish I would have been more active when I actually read german in school. I can do basic reviews but not something where people try to use as fancy words as possible as in audio reviews lol.

Jun 25, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #77 of 341

Quote:
Had my first listen to the V200 tonight. First time it has been turned on, no break in at all. I am very, very happy with the sound even straight out of the box, drove my AKG K702's effortlessly and gave them plenty of bass oomph, where other amps have struggled. Haven't played with gain switches but at about 11 o'clock was plenty loud enough. The detail was superb - I could here fingers moving across piano keys in Megan Washington's version of No Surprises.

A happy buyer here!

But it's sooooooo ugly!

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #78 of 341
Don't think so.I think it is a pretty ss amp.

Aug 2, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #79 of 341

Quote:
 It is not because I believe his dismissal of the opamp is accurate.  It is because I know the demand for this amp should I ever decide to sell it will suck...the reason being that potential buyers will search the keyword "Violetric" and read 5 pages of diarrhea about how the amp absolutely has to suck, written by someone who has never heard it. 

Yes, this is annoying!

You made me laugh with this haha.  Many diarrhea pages have I sifted through in my years.  

It looks mass market home recording studio style, but its fairly clean looking imo....esp. the insides.

Aug 2, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #80 of 341
Happy V200 owner here.  Nothing useful to add just yet, but it's working well.  It's very solid and attractive.  Really brings out the lower end in my ATH-AD2000 relative to the hp out of the DA11.

BK

Aug 2, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #81 of 341
Cheers,
beerchug.gif
 another happy V200 owner here. It's not the end all amp, but I don't regret the purchase at all. In fact, I haven't turned on my Sonett since getting it.

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #82 of 341
I've reached a point where I read his posts and do the exact opposite :p   IMO he's the worst thing to happen to head-fi

Quote:
 It is not because I believe his dismissal of the opamp is accurate.  It is because I know the demand for this amp should I ever decide to sell it will suck...the reason being that potential buyers will search the keyword "Violetric" and read 5 pages of diarrhea about how the amp absolutely has to suck, written by someone who has never heard it.

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #84 of 341
I've been living with the V200 for a while now and am still very happy with it. The clean sound and drive in my K702's is excellent. I have changed the jumpers to make the RCA's a line out, and it works perfectly in my system in between my Transporter and integrated amp.

And I like the styling - very teutonic, not all glitz and glamour and glowing tubes like some  
dt880smile.png

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #85 of 341

Quote:
I've been living with the V200 for a while now and am still very happy with it. The clean sound and drive in my K702's is excellent. I have changed the jumpers to make the RCA's a line out, and it works perfectly in my system in between my Transporter and integrated amp.

And I like the styling - very teutonic, not all glitz and glamour and glowing tubes like some  
dt880smile.png

So your speaker system sounds better using the V200 as a preamp rather than without?

Are you using XLR outs from the transporter to V200?  Does the latter have the internal USB DAC?

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #86 of 341

Quote:

So your speaker system sounds better using the V200 as a preamp rather than without?

Are you using XLR outs from the transporter to V200?  Does the latter have the internal USB DAC?

No, the speaker system doesn't necessarily sound better with the V200, What it does allow me to do is run 3 amps off my Transporter: XLR to V200, then unity gain through to my Burson PI-160 integrated. The RCA outs from the Transporter are connected to my Decware CSP2. I then connect the CSP2 to my Burson on the power amp input. This way I have a SS headamp, SS integrated, tube headamp, and tube pre. Gives me lots of options and flavours!

My V200 does have the dac, but I have never used it Probably unlikely to given the rest of my gear. I bought the V200 before they made the dac an optional extra.

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #88 of 341
Quote:
No, the speaker system doesn't necessarily sound better with the V200, What it does allow me to do is run 3 amps off my Transporter: XLR to V200, then unity gain through to my Burson PI-160 integrated. The RCA outs from the Transporter are connected to my Decware CSP2. I then connect the CSP2 to my Burson on the power amp input. This way I have a SS headamp, SS integrated, tube headamp, and tube pre. Gives me lots of options and flavours!  
My V200 does have the dac, but I have never used it Probably unlikely to given the rest of my gear. I bought the V200 before they made the dac an optional extra.

Thanks for the clarification. Yep, it seems like every person who has posted V200 impressions, hasn't even got round to trying the DAC- understandable in your case because you have a Transporter..

The DAC V800 has received one or two very positive reviews (one person comparing it to the Weiss Dac 2) and I was wondering whether the DAC of the V200 might have some of the V800's qualities.  However, Violectric state that "..the achievable quality conforms the 16-bit CD standard, but is somewhat worse than the overall analog performance of the HPA V200."   Not very encouraging.

Still, I'd like to know how the 16/44 and 24/96 options stack up to other DACs.  Hopefully, someone will compare one day.

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #89 of 341
I briefly tried the 16/44 dac in my V200, and it was decent. It didn't make me want to dump my Sonicweld/Apogee Rosetta rig, but it was enjoyable.

Yesterday, I got my hands on the V800. I replaced the Apogee last night, and got a few hours listening in. I gotta say I was impressed with it's performance. More to come as I get time with the unit. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #90 of 341

Quote:
I briefly tried the 16/44 dac in my V200, and it was decent. It didn't make me want to dump my Sonicweld/Apogee Rosetta rig, but it was enjoyable.

Yesterday, I got my hands on the V800. I replaced the Apogee last night, and got a few hours listening in. I gotta say I was impressed with it's performance. More to come as I get time with the unit. 

Cool, you've got the V800. Look forward to hearing more on it
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back