Violectric HPA V200 Why not sufficiently appreciated??
Aug 28, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #151 of 341
I decided to send mine back because I accidentally got one of the early versions with the built-in USB. I want to keep things clean (no USB) and have the option of getting a higher quality USB module for it in the future if I want. But I did manage to do some more initial testing:

The 16 bit /44 kHz DAC did not impress me that much, coming from Icon HDP. The Icon´s built-in DAC wins by far, better soundstage / instrument separation / details etc.. That said, the built-in DAC is good if you have mp3´s or stream modern victims of the loudness wars from the internet (in other words it is less revealing). For its intended use: (for a short time before you get a "real" DAC) it´s good. Considering that it´s a small chip inside the AMP box, it is suprisingly good though. I don´t see any point in including an USB dac inside the V200 though, makes no sense to me to run it through it as the V200 is not exactly cheap.

That said, more impressions on the actual amp: (I will ignore the blurry soundstage etc which I´m sure was caused by the lack of burn-in and the included USB DAC which I was using as a test) it has a very relaxing sound... If you want to listen to like 4-5 CD´s through in a row, this is what I would like to use. It doesn´t make you tired like the Icon HDP does with its edgy sound. All in all, it has a very sophisticated, pleasant sound. I´ll get my replacement unit back soon so I can continue my impressions then. 

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #152 of 341
Definiatly agree about the easy listening part. Also agree that the DAC wasn´t all that. But you could just remove it and run without it? It seems like the price without the DAC won´t be lower so it was kind of a freebie to early adopters?

It makes some sense if you have for example a net book with crap onboard audio and want to listen to your headphones in a summer home, library or something and your home DAC is to bulky or lacks an USB port. The amp is not that huge or heavy it´s not doable to put it in a backpack.
But yes I would get the DAC:less version if it was actually cheaper.

Aug 28, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #153 of 341

Quote:
. If you want to listen to like 4-5 CD´s through in a row, this is what I would like to use. It doesn´t make you tired like the Icon HDP does with its edgy sound. All in all, it has a very sophisticated, pleasant sound. I´ll get my replacement unit back soon so I can continue my impressions then. 

I agree with this on my v181 balanced as well.  

Aug 28, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #154 of 341

Quote:
I agree with this on my v181 balanced as well.  

By the way, I asked Fried Reim about the V181 vs V200 thing, he said it´s pretty much a question of taste. I went for the V200 in the end as I just got my new HD 800 cables and didn´t want to send them back again :) They are pretty similar in sound though. I´m so looking forward to hooking my gear up to the new DAC I´m getting... By the way, what was your experience regarding burn-in on the V181? Did it change much?

From what I´ve read the Violectric amps should be true allrounders, so I´ll probably get a second very different headphone to my collection at some point :) Something completely different, like Grado or so...

Aug 28, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #155 of 341
Anyone try the 24/96 USB option yet?  I understand that both of the V200 internal USB DAC options are user installable and super easy to retrofit.  I have a DA11 doing DAC duty, and my V200 did not include the earlier 16/44 piece, but it might be nice to have a backup built-in DAC for additional fexlibility.  The new V800 DAC is getting some good initial reports, so hopefully the USB 24/96 option shares some of those attributes.

BK

Aug 28, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #156 of 341

The burn in was a little strange in my case, when I first listened to it I was like ok sounds pretty good.  Waited about 24 hours of letting it run....and I was like wow this is musical....ended up listening for a long time....let it burn in more....came back and was like what happend, doesn't sound as good as it did the night before.....

Then I decided to just let it burn in for like days & days straight....came back to it and was like nice!  Very nice!  It stayed nice ever since....very natural sounding and musical, you can just enjoy cd after cd.  
Quote:
By the way, I asked Fried Reim about the V181 vs V200 thing, he said it´s pretty much a question of taste. I went for the V200 in the end as I just got my new HD 800 cables and didn´t want to send them back again :) They are pretty similar in sound though. I´m so looking forward to hooking my gear up to the new DAC I´m getting... By the way, what was your experience regarding burn-in on the V181? Did it change much?

From what I´ve read the Violectric amps should be true allrounders, so I´ll probably get a second very different headphone to my collection at some point :) Something completely different, like Grado or so...

Aug 28, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #157 of 341
On a German forum one of the designers said the 24/96 DAC option is better but most people won't be able to tell the difference on 16/44 recordings. Having said that, the DAC is better then any portable design I've heard so far (including the Headroom Desktop Portable which costs more than 1000$) and, as someone pointed out, a useful option for a one box transportable setup.  

Aug 28, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #158 of 341
So the 16-bit DAC that is available as an extra is an upgraded version from the one that came with the first batches?

Aug 28, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #160 of 341
Exactly. Basically the same amplifier with a 16/44 DAC is now a hundred extra. V800 is also offered at an introductory price. It will probably go up in the future. The feedback for V800 however, on that forum, isn't too great. A user tried it and sent it back as it made no difference compared to his midrange CD player. This is the forum I'm talking about. And here's the review of V800. Search for Violectric on the forum, you'll find plenty of information, since one of the designers is an active user on the forum. 

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #162 of 341

Quote:
Exactly. Basically the same amplifier with a 16/44 DAC is now a hundred extra. V800 is also offered at an introductory price. It will probably go up in the future. The feedback for V800 however, on that forum, isn't too great. A user tried it and sent it back as it made no difference compared to his midrange CD player. This is the forum I'm talking about. And here's the review of V800. Search for Violectric on the forum, you'll find plenty of information, since one of the designers is an active user on the forum. 

That's funny, Santacore got one and said that it was incredible, and he has a pretty good ear for things it seems.

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #163 of 341
From my experince that the source for V800 is quite important. One shouldn't expect that any DAC can magically make a PC/Mac/portable setup matches a 1500 USD cd player, even DAC202 can't. On the other hand, feed it with quality cd transport with good synergy, it will shine. I wouldn't be borthed with the build in dac of v200, either 16 bit or 24 bit.

That said, I think the v800 is realy a great DAC for the money, in my case even better than my da11(before changing into platium fues).

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #164 of 341
I also read that "review" on the V800 while I was doing DAC research... I´ve never heard the V800 of course, but that review didn´t really have any real arguments in it: more or less just a "this does nothing" -statement and claims that it´s on the same level as cheap DIY kits from China. Which obviously, I find very very hard to believe :) I think Violectric should try to get reviews out from various sites as soon as possible, since these days with Google that´s the only comments on the V800 you can easily find on the net. All the V100/V181/V200 comments on the other hand, never seen a single negative comment on any of those on the net. On german forums where there´s a lot of discussions about them, they are regarded as the best headphone amps on the market right now.

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #165 of 341
Exactly. Great reviews for the amp but that single poor review for the DAC. Although there's no real argument against it, it made no obvious improvement for that user. And that should tell you something.

Quote:
One shouldn't expect that any DAC can magically make a PC/Mac/portable setup matches a 1500 USD cd player, even DAC202 can't.

I am sorry but I have to disagree with this. The latest generation Benchmark (Pre & HDR) might not be the ultimate word in musicality but straight out of the box, using the USB input, with no tweaking, outshines any 1500$ cd player I've heard in terms of resolution. And it happens that the lean character of a Benchmark is complimented quite nicely by the "retro" sound of the V200. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back