Violectric DHA V590 DAC/AMP - Blue Velvet
May 15, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #61 of 739
Just got confirmation that V590 will be priced at $3499 in North America. Not sure how that will shake out elsewhere, but I feel that's a very fair price for what you get. At the moment there is just the one version which is black only and has the remote control for volume adjustment. Later they will likely offer separate amp-only models but of course those are not V590 but some other model name...

V281 is on the way out now, with a "Final Edition" making up the last batch. It's still the same price though. So let's examine: V590 is $3499 for DAC and amp. V281 is $2199 for amp only, plus $249 for the remote control option. That means we have $1050 to play with in terms of adding a DAC to V281 - I'm leaving out the fact that V590's amp section is improved over V281, because I don't know how to put a specific price tag on that.

Anyway, lots of good DACs available at around $1K so it's certainly possible to build an enjoyable system there. But will any of them keep up with the V590 DAC section? That's a tough challenge, as it sounds to me more like a DAC in the $1500 to $2000 range. I will play around with models I have and see what I come up with but at the moment I'm not coming up with anything that will do the job in that budget.
Very fair price indeed considering it is next gen of the V281/V850 combo. The V281/V850 combined price (if purchased separately) is around $3900. So the V590 at $3499 certainly looks like a steal.

May 16, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #62 of 739
Looking at the pic of the rear panel of the V590, I can see that no LAN input is provided for network streaming. Is this not a major downside compared to the like of Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and Matrix Audio Element X?

May 16, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #63 of 739
No, that function is unimportant for most people who buy DACs and amps in that price region.
Most people still buy outside of participating at Head-Fi and they use CD-Players, Vinyl etc.

And those who are more hardcore, more active in forums or migrated to Qobuz, Tidal either build their own transports like PI2AES, Digione Signature or buy SOTM and other dedicated server stuff.

May 16, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #65 of 739
Yeah it's not a very common feature. For every dozen new DAC releases, with or without integrated headphone outputs, you'd be lucky to find one with network capabilities.

That may slowly change over the next few years but right now built in streaming is not at all the norm.

Fair enough, so what is the ideal use of the V590? With a laptop over a potentially noisy / inferior USB or with an audio-grade streamer connected via an audio-grade connection and what would that be, USB, coaxial, AES, optical? Would this work with DSD files?

May 16, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #66 of 739
Just build a low power device like the Raspberry PI supported by multiple HATs. PI2AES, ALLO Digione (Signature), Allo USBridge (Signature) etc.
From there you can control them via Smartphone or Notebook. Allo USBridge supports DSD up to theoretical DSD1024.

May 16, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #67 of 739
Just build a low power device like the Raspberry PI supported by multiple HATs. PI2AES, ALLO Digione (Signature), Allo USBridge (Signature) etc.
From there you can control them via Smartphone or Notebook. Allo USBridge supports DSD up to theoretical DSD1024.

Thank you. I feel I would prefer a less DIY / more off-the-shelf solution. I do like using a MacBook Pro as the source, my only worry is that the USB output may not be very high end, that's all...

May 16, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #68 of 739
The hardest part of that build is removing the protection tape that protects the case from scratching. I'm not kidding. Everything else is pretty well documented.
You can access the UI over your browser too, no need for a smartphone. Smartphone is convenient when you want to sink into your chair and not get up.

I am not familiar with Macbooks, I actually assume they do their USB design better than most notebooks. Let me ask someone.

May 17, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #69 of 739
Thank you. I feel I would prefer a less DIY / more off-the-shelf solution. I do like using a MacBook Pro as the source, my only worry is that the USB output may not be very high end, that's all...
I use the MacBook Pro too for its convenience. USB for sure is not the best way to go, so I have added Totaldac USB filter/Lake People RS05 in the chain. Specifically, the LP RS05 helps to re-clock, re-sample and effectively eliminate jitter (however it does not do DSD; only PCM up to 192kHz). Alternatively, you can consider the Schiit Eitr or Topping D10 to convert from USB to SPDIF prior to dac/amp input.

Depending on how old is your MBP, models prior to 2016 apparently have optical output via the 3.5mm headphone jack. This was however taken off all new models post 2016. More info here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202730

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #70 of 739
"Yeah, straight from the Mac to a DAC is good on a MacBook Pro or any other Mac."
These are the words from a friend I fully trust. He builds is own amps and mods his DACs. As a graphic designer he uses Macbooks and Macs daily.
I say just go for it and don't think about it.

Also: The resampling feature removes any doubts about the quality of the Data itself.

ALSO and btw: V590 comes with a FEMTO clock.

May 18, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #72 of 739
Just got confirmation that V590 will be priced at $3499 in North America. Not sure how that will shake out elsewhere, but I feel that's a very fair price for what you get. At the moment there is just the one version which is black only and has the remote control for volume adjustment. Later they will likely offer separate amp-only models but of course those are not V590 but some other model name...

V281 is on the way out now, with a "Final Edition" making up the last batch. It's still the same price though. So let's examine: V590 is $3499 for DAC and amp. V281 is $2199 for amp only, plus $249 for the remote control option. That means we have $1050 to play with in terms of adding a DAC to V281 - I'm leaving out the fact that V590's amp section is improved over V281, because I don't know how to put a specific price tag on that.

Anyway, lots of good DACs available at around $1K so it's certainly possible to build an enjoyable system there. But will any of them keep up with the V590 DAC section? That's a tough challenge, as it sounds to me more like a DAC in the $1500 to $2000 range. I will play around with models I have and see what I come up with but at the moment I'm not coming up with anything that will do the job in that budget.
I have to say it's reasonably priced in terms of Violectric pricing. Personally I will be looking forward to the model without DAC.

May 18, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #73 of 739
"Yeah, straight from the Mac to a DAC is good on a MacBook Pro or any other Mac."
These are the words from a friend I fully trust. He builds is own amps and mods his DACs. As a graphic designer he uses Macbooks and Macs daily.
I say just go for it and don't think about it.

Also: The resampling feature removes any doubts about the quality of the Data itself.

ALSO and btw: V590 comes with a FEMTO clock.
FEMTO clock is good news for sure.

May 19, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #74 of 739
I have been Macs for years and their audio output through USB is quite good compared to other desktops and laptops. For the last few years I used my iMAC connected via USB to a variety of DACs and never had any issues with sound quality. When I wanted to have headphone setups in others rooms, I started using Roon and went with the SOtM SMS-200Ultra Neo for the DAC and AMP set up I already had in my office and then went with the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge as an all in one set up for the bedroom. I personally felt that the SOtM streamer made a an improvement in sound quality vs the USB output from my iMAC, but it was not huge. All I had to do to set up the SOtM was to plug it and the computer into wired ethernet and a USB from the SOtM to the DAC. I turned on Roon and it was already chosen for playback. If you just want a streamer because you think it will be better than going direct from the iMAC its not worth the cost of these units. But if you want to stream to different areas of the house using one computer and/or an iPad, then there are tons of options that you can use to stream and connect to a high-end DAC/AMP like the Vioelectric. You might like something like the Lumin U1Mini, as it has a screen and looks more traditional, but you still need to plug it into wired ethernet and then connect it to the DAC using a USB cable, optical, coaxial, or AES.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #75 of 739
I spy a few socketed opamps on the board which is a bit surprising. Any idea what those are for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back