Violectric DHA V380 DAC/Amp/Pre-amp
Feb 20, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #106 of 126
@Ichos I believe the phone was just used as transport to the V380 internal DAC... right @jjazzy ?

But, hey, Violetric DACs had a nice housesound to them too, at least my good ol' V800 did. :L3000:

Why not on par? the phone is just a transport nothing more, nothing less. Using usb player pro-playing bit-perfect through usb-dac of the dac-amp. it could just have been a DAP connected exactly the same way.
Ok, I didn't understand that it was used as a transport.

Then, very strange because my experience is opposite different than yours.
With the V380² as an all in one solution, I could use some more bass impact and heft with planar headphones!!!

Feb 20, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #107 of 126
Ok, I didn't understand that it was used as a transport.

Then, very strange because my experience is opposite different than yours.
With the V380² as an all in one solution, I could use some more bass impact and heft with planar headphones!!!
you seriously wanted more bass? than our subjective taste differs totally :wink:. I hate to much bass, I like it to be fast and present, but definately don't want it to massage my eardrums :wink:

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #108 of 126
you seriously wanted more bass? than our subjective taste differs totally :wink:. I hate to much bass, I like it to be fast and present, but definately don't want it to massage my eardrums :wink:
My educated guess would be there is not really more or less bass from the amplifiers themselves, Violectric vs Burson in this case. It's how the headphones, Arya Stealth or any other, are being driven... plus the differences in DACs of course.

Sincerely the Burson amps are reputed to be "different" especially in the bass region. It's a matter of how the headphone drivers are being controlled by the amp. Burson always felt to my ears it let the headphones go wild quite a bit, think loose, out of head, ethereal bass, but also the rest of the spectrum as well. Violectric on the other hand is very much a control "freak".

But the big difference in bass quantity per se is just not there, especially with flat impedance drivers such as the planar drivers in the Arya Stealth or any other orthodynamic aka isodynamic aka planar headphone.

p.s. @jjazzy I'm curious to know what music tracks made You feel that way on the Violectric, vs the Burson?

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #109 of 126
I am not talking quantity or frequency response of course.
I am talking technicalities and dynamics.

Feb 21, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #110 of 126
I did notice a difference in the bass moving from my Jot 1 to my V340. I have both Arya V2 and LCD-2 cans and felt like they were lighter in the bass after switching over to my Vio. I think what it actually was is more akin to home theater subwoofers when comparing a sealed vs a ported design. Ported subs usually come across as fuller/louder/more powerful, but a lot of that can be distortion (sloppy, overhang). Sealed subs tend to have less of that and will seem cleaner/tighter/more nimble and sometimes a little underwhelming in comparison to the ported experience in shear output.

Feb 21, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #111 of 126
My educated guess would be there is not really more or less bass from the amplifiers themselves, Violectric vs Burson in this case. It's how the headphones, Arya Stealth or any other, are being driven... plus the differences in DACs of course.

Sincerely the Burson amps are reputed to be "different" especially in the bass region. It's a matter of how the headphone drivers are being controlled by the amp. Burson always felt to my ears it let the headphones go wild quite a bit, think loose, out of head, ethereal bass, but also the rest of the spectrum as well. Violectric on the other hand is very much a control "freak".

But the big difference in bass quantity per se is just not there, especially with flat impedance drivers such as the planar drivers in the Arya Stealth or any other orthodynamic aka isodynamic aka planar headphone.

p.s. @jjazzy I'm curious to know what music tracks made You feel that way on the Violectric, vs the Burson?
I listen to jazz mostly

I listen 98 to jazz, and a lot old jazz too. I had some old tracks where I thought at the violectric, the bass was literarly put up a notch, untill the level it started to physically hurt my eardrums. (Like enabling loudness on old amps in the past)

I don’t even have that using my arya stealth and ifi xdsd gryphon, and yes sounding nice, absolutely does not have the control power (only around 1000mw peak I think) than bigger desktop amps.

It could be the build in usb dac of a violectric influencing the sound to focus low end?, and connecting a different dac to a violectric make it sound amazing, have to give it a try.

But if that is true than I might think violectric for me would be overpriced (having to buy another dac on top of the v380, especially compared to the conductor 3xr reference, the lower than conductor reference burson models I tend to think sound less after hearing than the v380)

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #112 of 126
I did notice a difference in the bass moving from my Jot 1 to my V340. I have both Arya V2 and LCD-2 cans and felt like they were lighter in the bass after switching over to my Vio. I think what it actually was is more akin to home theater subwoofers when comparing a sealed vs a ported design. Ported subs usually come across as fuller/louder/more powerful, but a lot of that can be distortion (sloppy, overhang). Sealed subs tend to have less of that and will seem cleaner/tighter/more nimble and sometimes a little underwhelming in comparison to the ported experience in shear output.
So you experienced less bass moving to the violectric.

I experienced compared directly A B between burson and violectric (both using build in usb dacs) that the burson had less bass (but still felt controlled bass) and on the violectric like you had a open port bass like you described.

Compared to your story that might suggest hypothetically a Burson has more control than the violectric in this case.

I am really curious to try out if it is the build in dac that makes the difference or the amp. I know I am a fan of clean controlled, airy stage and instrument seperation.

(which I know is a dificult area, you push that a little too much and you move from musical and smooth to earpiercing and sounding too clinical)

Apr 22, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #113 of 126
0B8528FE-5086-4162-AE0D-88753FA9B626.JPG

I've tried the DHA V380 and it was an excellent amplifier with a very good DAC. Now i've tried the DHA V590 mkII PRO and it's even better. With both ampliers no problem with bass range. I've listened the 380 with the Hifiman HE1000 v2 and the 590 with the Hifiman Susvara.

Apr 22, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #114 of 126
0B8528FE-5086-4162-AE0D-88753FA9B626.JPG
I've tried the DHA V380 and it was an excellent amplifier with a very good DAC. Now i've tried the DHA V590 mkII PRO and it's even better. With both ampliers no problem with bass range. I've listened the 380 with the Hifiman HE1000 v2 and the 590 with the Hifiman Susvara.
What gain do you listen to with 590?
Keep in mind the smaller the gain you use, the cleaner and more dynamic the sound.

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #117 of 126
Friends! If someone has instructions for the Vio 380 in electronic form. Post it in this topic. Thanks.

May 23, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #120 of 126
I'm interested in getting a Violectric amplifier as the solid state solution in my system. Has anyone here had the opportunity to listen to both the 222/226 and the 340/380²? I'm really curious what the sound difference between the two are to see if the 340/380² would be worth the extra cost.

For some context, my primary headphones are ZMF Caldera and Atrium, so from I have read so far I know a Violectric amp would be a great fit (with a Bifrost 2). Just looking to gather as much information as I can before I make a purchase. Thanks!
I listened to the 226 and the 380 m2 last weekend .. no comparison the 380 is street’s ahead as an all in one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back