Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #437 of 588
1) Ideally: If I had a V850 I wouldn't use it and rather make sure to have a good transport which doesn't need a lot of fixing, like a Digi One signature. If I wanted to go a hardcore route
my choice would be the DAT RS 05 aka "The Besterer" or "I mach's am beschde" because that device goes beyond the V850's resampling capabilities.

2) Without the RS 05 I'd use the USB input with the BEST setting to slightly smooth out the roughness of USB's nature. Of course you can go lesser steps and see if those are enough. It's simply a matter of how far you want to go with
transients and attacks over smoothness.

3) If I'd go coax (which is generally better) I'm probably already using some good transport, cd-player. So as you can see I'm more about creating a good chain from A to the End.
Other than that. See the bolded under 2)

Fun fact: I couldn't use a U3 with HeSuVi with the Gungnir because the damn relais would click on every 7.1 ping or impulse which I need to further test out raw differences.
The resample function of the RS06 creates a steady lock, no more dropouts. It's also a wonderful sounding DAC because the analog section has been done very well, so the dreaded digititus effect is absent.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #438 of 588
1) Ideally: If I had a V850 I wouldn't use it and rather make sure to have a good transport which doesn't need a lot of fixing, like a Digi One signature. If I wanted to go a hardcore route
my choice would be the DAT RS 05 aka "The Besterer" or "I mach's am beschde" because that device goes beyond the V850's resampling capabilities.

2) Without the RS 05 I'd use the USB input with the BEST setting to slightly smooth out the roughness of USB's nature. Of course you can go lesser steps and see if those are enough. It's simply a matter of how far you want to go with
transients and attacks over smoothness.

3) If I'd go coax (which is generally better) I'm probably already using some good transport, cd-player. So as you can see I'm more about creating a good chain from A to the End.
Other than that. See the bolded under 2)

Fun fact: I couldn't use a U3 with HeSuVi with the Gungnir because the damn relais would click on every 7.1 ping or impulse which I need to further test out raw differences.
The resample function of the RS06 creates a steady lock, no more dropouts. It's also a wonderful sounding DAC because the analog section has been done very well, so the dreaded digititus effect is absent.

Thanks for the info here, I had been wondering about this. If you have info on this, can you give a breakdown of how the clocking and reclocking/resampling sections differ between the V850, the RS06 and the DAT RS05 ?

Feb 19, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #439 of 588
As far as I know the RS06 and the V850 basically have the same resampling circuit, the latter just has more steps though. Of course the V850 also has a linear power supply on top etc.
Haven't heard the RS05 myself

Would be cool for Fried Reim to answer the various differences in detail @fdg

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #440 of 588
Always welcome info. I have my Violectric V850 enroute to me right now. I'll be a new owner and my first time owning a Violectric, Lake People product. I'll be pairing this DAC with my SPL Phonitor X. My Phonitor does have a DAC module installed and I would say is is average. I'm hoping my new V850 will add performance to my system. I have done what I believe to be my due diligence in regards to reading on up with the many different brands available. I decided to go with Violectric. I look forward to being a member of the family and to using this gear in pursuit of music enjoyment.

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #441 of 588
Always welcome info. I have my Violectric V850 enroute to me right now. I'll be a new owner and my first time owning a Violectric, Lake People product. I'll be pairing this DAC with my SPL Phonitor X. My Phonitor does have a DAC module installed and I would say is is average. I'm hoping my new V850 will add performance to my system. I have done what I believe to be my due diligence in regards to reading on up with the many different brands available. I decided to go with Violectric. I look forward to being a member of the family and to using this gear in pursuit of music enjoyment.

Nice! I am curious how you like it as I love mine and it has been a solid part of my chain now for almost 4 years.

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #442 of 588
Yea...it's arrived. Now time to get the Hex keys out and swap out the gold feet for a new set of silver feet.

Stoutly built unit. Looking forward to reading up on the operations manual and getting it installed.
20190226_143832.jpg

Mar 6, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #445 of 588
I'm so far very pleased with V850 DAC. I'm happily pairing w/ my SPL Phonitor X. I think it has a very good sonic character. It's dynamic yet without drawing undo attention to itself. Shows measured authority across the frequency spectrum. I really like it's tonal balance with what I find to be a modest soundstage. I've become fast friends with the 'best' setting using it's resampling functions. I set it and forget it. So far, always happy with that I receive. The V850 produces a textured sound image. Something that I like alot. It has a weighty character to it, yet is still nimble, never slow. Some say 3-D, some say holographic. Choose the word you like. I say it's pleasing and I've very much enjoying the music. Very happy with the V850 and hope it provides me with many years of good service.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #446 of 588
Question for V850 DAC owners. Do any of you use or recommend an upgraded or special power cable for V850? I'm currently using a standard power cable that works fine. I just want to let my V850 sing as it's meant to. And if that means if could benefit from a cable upgrade than so be it.

Mar 8, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #447 of 588
I'd rather invest the money into a Furman AC-210 (only one device per Furman!). Much better proven than any passive cable thing.

Mar 8, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #448 of 588
I use a Fisch Audio P3 and a Fisch Audio Powersocket. At the end you have to try which cables fit to the whole system. If you use USB: More differences than most think! (Aqvox, Curious, Wireworld, Totaldac, etc.)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #449 of 588
Thank you. I do own a Furman PST-8 power conditioner and surge protector.

My idea was just trying to give my V850 exacty what I could power wise. I know because it's a digital device it may have different requirements for power resources than say a pre-amp or a headphone amp. But I admit, I'm out of my league here from a knowledge standpoint. So I differ to those that have more experience owning V850.

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #450 of 588
Hi all,

I just got an v281 amp and I'm interested in getting the v850 dac. However I'm not sure if it is worth the upgrade from the Fiio X3 II DAP (used as a DAC) I'm using now.

Do you think there will be noticable difference in sound quality when going from Fiio X3 II to v850? I'm hoping for audiable difference that can be easily detected. Not one so subtle that I have to switch between the dacs 100 times and for few weeks before hearing it, if at all.

I heard the v800 in a store some time ago, but not in ideal conditions - with the v281 before having it and without the option to A-B switch between the two dacs. Also, with just 1 song (I didn't know well) I could play on both dacs to compare. I didn't notice difference back then and by reading here the v850 should be very similar to v800.

My headphones are HD800S.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back