Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #46 of 588
Well I guess I will take the plunge and order one in the next few days. 

V281, V850, V600. Go big or go home. 

I will take pics and post a simple review of the equipment once it comes in. 

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #47 of 588
  Well I guess I will take the plunge and order one in the next few days. 

V281, V850, V600. Go big or go home. 

I will take pics and post a simple review of the equipment once it comes in. 

Nice! People tend to forget about the V600 which I'm told is an excellent choice considering the wacky prices one can spend in that category.

V850 should be similar to V800 in many ways, as they simply build on that successful formula. I bet you'll love it. 

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #48 of 588
Thanks for the response project86. Your review of the V281 led me to read your other reviews and do research on multiple units but I kept coming back to wanting the V281. What put me over the edge was the V850 actually being sent out and in stock so I decided to take the plunge. 

The headphones I will be using are the LCD-3 and the SHD800's. 

I should get my order mid to late next week, they are out of relay volume boards. Expect a mini review and unboxing in about a week and a half to two weeks. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #49 of 588
Been a big fan of Violectric for a while now. Anyone have listening impressions? Kinda disappointed on the price for this unit, and fail to see the justification. $300 more for a remote control?! A remote that looks like a universal remote from 2003. Was going to buy, but now looking to pass. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #51 of 588
  Been a big fan of Violectric for a while now. Anyone have listening impressions? Kinda disappointed on the price for this unit, and fail to see the justification. $300 more for a remote control?! A remote that looks like a universal remote from 2003. Was going to buy, but now looking to pass. 

I believe there is extra circuit and motor in the remote version for those features to work. If you think it's not worth it just get the normal version.
They should've got a sleeker looking remote though instead of an off the shelf universial one. In the case of designing their own/finding oem may not be cost effective, they should just use apple remote like resonessance labs does.

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #52 of 588

I can see the pain in paying extra for a remote feature. I actually ordered mine without it. I should be getting it towards the end of this week and I will post pics and give a small review. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #53 of 588
IMO, kinda pricey even without the remote control. I definitely wouldn't buy one without waiting for some reviews and/or getting a chance to demo one.

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #54 of 588
  I believe there is extra circuit and motor in the remote version for those features to work. If you think it's not worth it just get the normal version.
They should've got a sleeker looking remote though instead of an off the shelf universial one. In the case of designing their own/finding oem may not be cost effective, they should just use apple remote like resonessance labs does.

That to me is the issue. It just feels like a second thought and makes me question the value of the product. I owned the V800 and sold it because it just felt veiled to me, but I love their lineup and the fact that they don't do add stuff I don't use like DSD. With that in mind their product should be priced aggressively and be simple. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #55 of 588

That to me is the issue. It just feels like a second thought and makes me question the value of the product. I owned the V800 and sold it because it just felt veiled to me, but I love their lineup and the fact that they don't do add stuff I don't use like DSD. With that in mind their product should be priced aggressively and be simple. 

I think it's very reasonably priced. To me, $1500-2000 is the optimal price range for a top class product. Being simple and focused doesn't mean the unit values less than the feature-rich counterparts. And I believe much effort and attention to details has been put in to achieve the impressive performance of this dac. (judging by the measurement numbers). Not many products in this range can achieve similar numbers AFAIK.
If you ask for aggressive price and bangs for the buck, there are a bunch of Chinese brands catering this demand. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #56 of 588

So having a choice is now being cheap? I mean honestly we pay a lot for our hobby. Any chance to have options and allow for customization without hindering the devices actual purpose is good in my book.

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #57 of 588
So having a choice is now being cheap? I mean honestly we pay a lot for our hobby. Any chance to have options and allow for customization without hindering the devices actual purpose is good in my book.

I totally agree with your statement and I don't think cheap is the right word, but I want to know what I am getting for my dollars and I just don't know here. Other than the added dac chips and overall tweaks the remote is the big "upgrade" in terms of price and it looks crazy ugly for a product of that caliber and price. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #58 of 588
I
I totally agree with your statement and I don't think cheap is the right word, but I want to know what I am getting for my dollars and I just don't know here. Other than the added dac chips and overall tweaks the remote is the big "upgrade" in terms of price and it looks crazy ugly for a product of that caliber and price. 

Forgive me if I came across rude. I understand where you are coming from and you do pose a good point. I should be receiving my unit this week I will take a million pictures and post a non biased analysis of the system. I am a little worried as I come from the land of tubes and speakers. But I really like the V281 so I decided to jump in blind with this unit.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #59 of 588
I
Forgive me if I came across rude. I understand where you are coming from and you do pose a good point. I should be receiving my unit this week I will take a million pictures and post a non biased analysis of the system. I am a little worried as I come from the land of tubes and speakers. But I really like the V281 so I decided to jump in blind with this unit.

No problem. Text lends itself to reading between the lines. Thanks for responding with great feedback! I LOVE Violectric as a brand, and their sound is great. The people who expect more a lot of times are fans of the brand. I look forward to your impressions. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #60 of 588
I

Very likely its my first time preordering a new product.
sigh...I'm not receiving mine in a week or two...my first vio product though
I briefly heard the v800 in the past and it was great, but havent tried it with my other gears even once, really hope it would not disappoint!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back