Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #16 of 588
There are still some questions open.

@ Zkadoush

We thought a bit about this 3.5 dB headroom from Benchmark ...
Well, it is theroretically possible that because of the interpolation processes an overshoot may occur between two full-scale samples.
With 44.1 kHz sample rate this overshoot is as long as 23 microseconds ... with 96 kHz sample rate it is about 12 micro secondes and so on.
When its is longer (3 samples or more) there is no overshoot because it is integrated.
If this "long term overshoot" is really a problem for somebody we recommend the volume of DAC V800 / V850 to be turned to the 4 o´clock position which equals to about 2-3 dB attenuation = digital headroom as the volume is reduced before any interpolation respectively D/A conversion.
The more you attenuate the more digital headroom you will win - at the expense of reduced dynamic range.
Just another nice aspect from the digital volume control we never thought about before :wink:

@ hmouse
The volume control is virtually bypassed at full CW position of the volume knob.
We feel no need to bypass the volume control software- or hardware based.

@gogogasgas
All USB input circuitry inside our D/A converters and headphone amps are situated on add-on PCBs which can easily be swapped and replaced by up-to-date models.
So it is possible to replace the 96 kHz USB input from "Version 1" DAC V800 by the 192 kHz USB PCBs (currently the Tenor chip-set).
For DAC V850 we prepare a 192 kHz USB circuitry based on the X-Mos chip-set.
This circuitry will also fit into all existing DAC V800. 

By the way, currently the 192 kHz USB Tenor chip-set works with ALL Linux and Mac OS.
Also we found no issues with Windows 8.1 when all updates have been made.
So it is also working with ALL Windows OS.

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #17 of 588
So, if I was basically using 44 Khz either from my Mac (or a CD player being used as a transport), does the new V850 have sonic advantages over the V800?

On a different note, I use the USB out of my Mac into an iFi iPower unit and then that output gets fed into my DAC. For either the V800 or the new V850, would you recommend TOSLINK (my cable is actual glass fibre, BTW) over USB, sonically? I realise that TOSLINK from a Mac does not do 192 Khz.

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #18 of 588
@ gogogasgas

As quoted earlier, concerning V850 we´ve taken more care on the analog circuitry, the power supply, the clock generation and many other things inside the new gear.
And there is the double-mono converters and the remote control. 
For my opinion all our efforts result in a better sound whilst maintaining our basic sound "philosophy".
And I hope that others will also see it that way - it would support sales :wink:

The above improvements are hearable with all sample rates and with all programm material regardless of the sample rate or resolution.
USB is a nihe and comfortable solution to transport all kinds of digital data including digital audio.
However, to have optimum results concerning digital audio USB is not the best way to proceed becaus of its jitter sensitivity.
One approach to come across this issue was the invention of the "asynchronous mode" where the source dominates the clock. The better solution is resampling which is a feature from Violectric DACs.
Resampling will virtually remove (nearly) all jitter.
But it would be even better when there is less jitter in the signal and thats what optical and coaxial digital signal lines are good for. 
Tos-Link is not made for 192 k !
The typical optical transmitters and receivers are specified for 15 MHz which equals in around 120 kHz max sample rate.
However, the light emmission or detecting feasability of Tos-Link is not completely gone above these frequencies but the sensitivity is lacking.
So, under specific circumstances like best transmitters and receivers and very good and short fiber (under 1m) it is possible the transmit 192 kHz data.
As this knowledge is common to manufacturers often the optical interfaces are disabled with frequencies above 96 kHz.

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #19 of 588
Thanks, Fried, for your detailed and insightful response. OK - when is the V850 going to appear for ordering on the Violectric website? I think there are many HeadFi members who are eager to get one!

Great information on USB, TOSLINK and coax. I'll stick with my MAC > USB > iFi iUSB Power > USB > DAC chain and just use the TOSLINK for my PS4 and CD player. Shame more external devices (and Macs!) don't offer coax as I imagine that would be the superior option.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #20 of 588
  USB is a nihe and comfortable solution to transport all kinds of digital data including digital audio.
However, to have optimum results concerning digital audio USB is not the best way to proceed becaus of its jitter sensitivity.
One approach to come across this issue was the invention of the "asynchronous mode" where the source dominates the clock.
The better solution is resampling which is a feature from Violectric DACs.

Fried, with all due respect, I think you may have misspoken here.

The phrase "source dominates the clock" seems incorrect for both adaptive and asynchronous USB. Neither approach syncs the DAC's clock to the source device's USB clock. In both cases, the clock of the DAC is independent from the source feeding USB audio to the DAC.
To me, the phrase "source dominates the clock" is ambiguous, but definitely seems more like a description of synchronous USB.

Whether asynchronous sample rate conversion is a superior approach is of course somewhat up for debate.

*EDIT*: accidentally submitted mid sentence.

May 1, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #21 of 588
I'll be there at the High End 
evil_smiley.gif

May 7, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #22 of 588
That sounds like a nice upgrade over the V800... though I would have loved it loosing its volume control altogether as I'd only use it with a headphone amp. Nevertheless I'll have a deep look in Munich as I'd really like to have something to stack on top of my V281 -- I guess the width is the same, right?

May 19, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #24 of 588
  Was the V850 on display in Munich?  I have a V200 and a V220 (both excellent), so I'm waiting for the V850...

Yes, it was... unfortunately I did not find the time to take it for a spin :frowning2:
I think I'll have to do that in September.

May 20, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #25 of 588
  Was the V850 on display in Munich?  I have a V200 and a V220 (both excellent), so I'm waiting for the V850...

Yes, that beauty came with a transparent top to show the new dual mono setup, improved analog stage etc... and I am looking forward to listening/comparing it with my DAC. Ideally both on the V281. Exciting times ahead. 

May 20, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #27 of 588
you've just reminded me of my huge blunder not having charged my camera. :frowning2:

Next time photos will be massive.

May 20, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #28 of 588

Hi davidespinosa,

Sorry to get a little off topic. A friend interested in purchasing a Violectric Amp has asked me if I have listened to the V200 and V220 and compared them side by side. I have a V281 and a V100, so I haven't had the chance to compare a V200 to a V220. What is your experience comparing the V200 to the V220; do the changes to the original V200 Amp design - mentioned by Fried in the V281 thread - have any specific improvements in the V220 aside from output power and voltage? 

Any impressions are welcome.

Cheers!

May 20, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #29 of 588
My headphones are low-impedance (20-30 ohms), so I would run out of current before voltage.

But I don't listen very loud -- I keep the amp gains on the lowest setting.

I haven't A/B'd in a serious way, but my impression is that there's no way I could tell them apart.

The biggest difference is the features:

* The V220 is much larger.
* The V220 has a massive volume knob.
* The V220 works well as a preamp.
* BTW, I don't use the V220 balance control.

May 22, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #30 of 588
  My headphones are low-impedance (20-30 ohms), so I would run out of current before voltage.

But I don't listen very loud -- I keep the amp gains on the lowest setting.

I haven't A/B'd in a serious way, but my impression is that there's no way I could tell them apart.

The biggest difference is the features:

* The V220 is much larger.
* The V220 has a massive volume knob.
* The V220 works well as a preamp.
* BTW, I don't use the V220 balance control.

Thanks for your answer, davidespinosa. Much appreciated.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back