Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 23, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #226 of 588
A question here...
I keep my V850 plugged in to my laptop. Sometimes after the computer being turned on, it doesn't recognize the V850 at all. And V850 shows the error red led when I turn it on. Even powering it off and on doesn't solve it. 
I have to unplug and replug the USB cable (several times in some occasions) to make it work again. 
It is not bad contact of any plugs, cables and sockets. It happens even while the connection is untouched.

I am worry that this behaviour (unplug, replug of the USB cable) may harm the DAC. Is there any particular sequence of powering on the device and computer that will eliminate the problem? I shut down my computer at night and the DAC is only on when I need it. 

I know the USB interface (don't know about the DAC part) can be USB bus powered. It is recognized by the computer even the V850 is off. 
I don't like it at all. I would love my device to be recognized only when its on. Could it be the culprit of the problem? Can I solve it by using a two pins USB cable? (no power pins)
Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #229 of 588
I don't feel comfortable of the usb interface being powered and recognized even when the DAC is off. 
Sure electronic components are not that fragile, but excessive plug in and out can't be any good for the usb interface, plug and socket.
If the usb interface does not rely on the 5V power bus, I am happy to add a device which can isolate/remove the power pin.
So when the DAC is off, it really is off, and perhaps will solve the aforementioned problem.

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #231 of 588
Odd. I've not experienced this problem. I turn on the V850 before my pc, it's recognized. I turn on my pc before the V850, it's recognized.

I'm running Win7 64-bit and have the V850 plugged into a USB 2.0 port on my mobo separate from all of my other usb compliant devices.

usb 2.0 could be the answer?
Every usb ports I have are 3.0 ports....
The driver for it could cause problems like this.
I will try to uninstall it. 

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #234 of 588
Our USB driver supports ASIO. We have found this works much better in Windows then WASAPI.

After installing the driver go into the settings of your audio playback software and select VIO ASIO as your playback device.

This will allow the audio player to talk directly to the V850 circumventing Windows sound system. You will now have bit perfect playback.

Mar 30, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #235 of 588
I normally use the optical, coaxial, and USB inputs on my v850 however I'm keen to know if I'd be better off using the balanced xlr input? I would be feeding it from a network player which has left and right balanced xlr outputs. Is it possible to make this connection? Would I need an adaptor?

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #236 of 588
I normally use the optical, coaxial, and USB inputs on my v850 however I'm keen to know if I'd be better off using the balanced xlr input? I would be feeding it from a network player which has left and right balanced xlr outputs. Is it possible to make this connection? Would I need an adaptor?

You cannot put analog signal into a digital input.

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #239 of 588
It seems that your network player already include dac, you can connect xlr output to amp, or connect a digital output such as coxal output to V850, using V850 as dac instead the build in dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back