Vinyl to HQ digital
Mar 14, 2010 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bengron

New Head-Fier
I would really love to have a portable vinyl player, but I dont see any way to make that practical.

I want to convert my vinyl to digital, but in order for it to be worth it it would have to have a really high bitrate. Is there a really high bitrate audio format that I can record in? and is there a portable device that supports it?

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 6
Check out the Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD player.

It runs 24 bit recording and playback and it's portable. You can record at 1411kbps transfer rate too.

It's way cheaper than many of the hi-end alternatives, either as vinyl turntables or as DACs then computer processing programs.

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 6
recording vynil w/ a lossy codec(ATRAC on the minidisc) using cheapo ADC chips will be far from optimal.

get a RIAA phono preamp(possibly feed it w/ a linear regulated PSU), feed it to the highest quality external soundcard you can find, record it in 24/96...then use a high end turntable deck, a good condition cartridge and you'll be there
wink.gif

I personally used those:
Phonopreamps.com TCC TC-750 Details and Hookup

http://www.velleman.eu/images/products/2/ps1303.jpg

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 6
That's the great thing about the Sony MZ-RH1 - it doesn't require lossy ATRAC recording. Few seem to know that it records Linear PCM quality direct to mini-disc.

Or at least I think it does....

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by bengron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to convert my vinyl to digital, but in order for it to be worth it it would have to have a really high bitrate.

Unless you think that there is significant audible content above 20 kHz or so (unlikely in the extreme) then there is zero advantage in a sampling rate above 44.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back