Vinyl Storage / Shelving
Jul 23, 2007 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

narticus

100+ Head-Fier
So I know the Ikea Expedit shelf is very popular for this, and I may end up buying one at some point. But, I would like to find a "slimmer" option if possible. The smallest Expedit comes in these dimensions:

Width: 58 5/8 "
Depth: 15 3/8 "
Height: 31 1/8 "

Does anyone know of a shelving unit that's about half as wide as this? Basically just one row of shelves similar to the Expedit.

I live in a tiny Manhattan apartment with very limited floor space, so I need something that is narrow yet tall. My ceilings are relatively high.

Any help, or even just vinyl storage talk within this thread is encouraged.

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 15
Sorry, I have no idea what an Expedit looks like but you might like the stacking crate that TTVJ make.

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 15
This is the biggest Expedit they make. PERFECT size shelves for vinyl as well:

ikeabookshelves.jpg

Jul 30, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 15
If you live in Manhattan you must be familiar with Gothic Cabinet Craft. They have 30" wide vinyl storage shelves that can go up to six rows high at very reasonable prices compared to what the audiophile world offers.

If you need to go tall and super cheap, metal shelving from a home improvement store. Throw curtains over it for esthetics.

Jul 30, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

I own 2 of the Bags Unlimited plastic boxes and they're great. I wouldn't stack them though when they're full of LPs, even if they say they're stackable. If you do stack them, the LPs wouldn't be that accessible because they're strongest stacked bottom on top with lids.

Aug 1, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you live in Manhattan you must be familiar with Gothic Cabinet Craft. They have 30" wide vinyl storage shelves that can go up to six rows high at very reasonable prices compared to what the audiophile world offers.

Here is there link.

http://www.gothiccabinetcraft.com/pr...roducts_id=636

Here is another one that has caught my interest:

http://www.corefurniture.com/

Click under the Media Storage button.

Aug 1, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #12 of 15
If you plan to stack records on the Ikea shelving, you will need to add reinforcement. Rekkids iz heavy! I visited a fella with a room full of records covering all the walls, and he had added an additional vertical support to the middle of every shelf.

See ya
Steve

Aug 2, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #13 of 15
i love my expedit as it's shelves are perfect for vinyl! i believe the expedit units come in 5x5, 4x4, and 3x3 shelves, or at least they used to. i think they may make smaller pieces that have essentially the dimensions of a row from the expedit that are ~2x5 shelves.

Aug 2, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is there link.

http://www.gothiccabinetcraft.com/pr...roducts_id=636

I have one of these, I purchased based on positive comments from JMT who owns several. I have no complaints at all, its very sturdy and does the job.

Aug 2, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by narticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I know the Ikea Expedit shelf is very popular for this, and I may end up buying one at some point. But, I would like to find a "slimmer" option if possible.

Have you checked out the Ikea Traby shelves? They have a more "rustic" look than the Expedit, and I don't own one so I don't know how durable they are compared to any of the options above, but they come in 1x1, 1x2, & 4x4 arrangements.

59112_PE164831_S3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back