Vinyl still the king? Am I missing something?
Sep 27, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #91 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
Most of the issues with cartridges sounding completely different to different people is down to the tonearm influencing the cartridges sound.

The TP14 is quite a high mass tonearm and most carts these days are designed to work with medium mass so it's not going to be that easy to find a good modern match.

The more I think about it what you really need to get that classic vinyl sound is a classic cartridge design which is still being made unchanged from the 1960's-70's.

The Shure M-55 / M-75 maybe? or the one of the Denon MC's like the 103 could be your best bet. The Denon's are very cheap for MC carts and have a real cult following.

Also are you sure your arm is a TP14 and not a TP25. Check out what Stepano Passini writes about it here http://www.stefanopasini.it/Thorens%...0EMT%20929.htm

Great advice, Mempool. Yes, it is a TP14 and my TD125 is a MKI. Definitely an older set. so the 103 might be a good match for my arm? I have been eyeing them. About $150 from Germany (free shipping). So a moving coil is what I want, eh? Luckily my preamp has both MM and MC input. And I've never tried an MC. I hope you've just saved my vinyl life. Thank you very much for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back