Vinyl Setup - Questions
Dec 19, 2008 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JT33

New Head-Fier
I currently have a Singlepower Extreme amp and a pair of AKG K701s. I'm looking to get a turntable with a reasonable price along with a phono preamp. Due to a limited budget, I'm looking at the Pro-ject debut III along with the pro-ject phono pre amp for the debut III.

I was wondering if the debut III and the phono preamp would be a good idea since the singlepower extreme is significantly higher end than the TT and phono preamp. In other words, is it worth it?

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by JT33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have a Singlepower Extreme amp and a pair of AKG K701s. I'm looking to get a turntable with a reasonable price along with a phono preamp. Due to a limited budget, I'm looking at the Pro-ject debut III along with the pro-ject phono pre amp for the debut III.

I was wondering if the debut III and the phono preamp would be a good idea since the singlepower extreme is significantly higher end than the TT and phono preamp. In other words, is it worth it?

If you plan on using MM and high output MC cartridges then consider the Graham Slee Amp 2 Communicator. Currently on sale for 119 BP plus S&H: Gram Amp 2 Communicator Turntable Preamp

Dec 22, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #3 of 9
The project combo should be fine as long as you use a decent MM cart like an Audio Technica AT120E/T or AT440MLa. Also, you will need to align the cart perfectly. Best to also buy the Project cartridge alignment tool. Also, make make sure the table is on a flat stable and non-resonant surface.

To minimise surface noise you will need to clean your vinyl preferably using a wet vacuum method or if you protect the record label, warm mildly soapy water and a high quality soft bristle paint brush followed by a clean water rinse and a full dry.

Before playing apply a carbon brush to clean dust off and to provide a measure of antistatic treatment.

Others will have other opinions I'm sure.

As for vinyl, expect some surface noise, but if you follow the above steps you will minimise it and get the most out of the Project equipment. I'd say it should work well with the rest of your kit.

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 9
I think an affordable turntable is the best way to start. If you use a good cartridge and do a careful setup, it'll sound good. You need to play with a deck for awhile before you figure out what you like and what you want to get out of vinyl. I loved my first deck (a Rega Planar 3) but decided to go to a suspended deck later. I really loved the suspended deck (Michell Gyrodec) so I bought all the upgrades and turned it into an Orbe. You might do something like that, or you might move up the ladder to another Pro-Ject, ormight go in a different direction. You won't know where you want to go until you get your first turntable and see what you like or want to change about it. Also, be sure to consider used turntables. Most of them are well made and there are excellent deals at Audiogon. Another benefit of buying used is that you might get various tools and accessories along with the deck.

Dec 23, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by JT33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think phonostages are way over priced and that you should get the cheapest halfway decent possible one like the TCC TCC TC-754 phono stage - [English]. Then spend the difference on a slightly better turntable.

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #9 of 9
You might also take a look at audiogon.com. Lots of classified ads, but I've bought and sold a few times there and people are pretty careful with their stuff. If you find a 'table you like and don't need brand new, there are some good deals to be had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back