Vinyl questions
Mar 12, 2004 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gort

100+ Head-Fier
I know that CD and SACD players have RCA or XLR outputs but what about vinyl? And is hooking up vinyl to headphones same as it is for digital sources (SACDP->head amp->headphone)?

Mar 12, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 10
gort,

with a turn table you're going to need to send the signal to a phono preamp before it goes to your headamp. You have a wide array of choices there, and can literally find one for any budget.

Mar 12, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by gort
Thanks Gopher,

One more question: How long does phono cartridges last?

Cartridges can last a very long time. The durability of the stylus depends on how well the table is set up, lack of accidents, etc. Call it somewhere around 1000 hours. If your cartridge has a replaceable stylus, this isn't a problem.

If you're using a moving coil with non-replaceable stylus, it can get expensive in a hurry. When I was at my maximum vinyl usage, I needed a new MC cartridge at least every year.

Mar 12, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Cartridges can last a very long time. The durability of the stylus depends on how well the table is set up, lack of accidents, etc. Call it somewhere around 1000 hours. If your cartridge has a replaceable stylus, this isn't a problem.

If you're using a moving coil with non-replaceable stylus, it can get expensive in a hurry. When I was at my maximum vinyl usage, I needed a new MC cartridge at least every year.

Stylus is the metal tip on the cartridge? Can I have my turntable be set up at my local dealer and bring it back home? Or will moving it require setting it up again?

Thanks for all the answers so far.

Eric

Mar 12, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 10
I just recently returned to vinyl, and my dealer says, if records are clean and the cartridge is not abused (don't overdo using the stylus brush of exotic cleaners!), the stylus (needle) can last a few thousand hours. so at even 3 hours a day, that's a few years. not bad.

from what i understand (but have heard emperically on my few experiences), the non-replaceable stylii cartridges sound beter. and unfortunately, they are more expensive too.

non replaceable stylii cartridges can be "re-tipped" for usually about half the price of the cartridge...sometimes, this involves having them physically retip it, or sometimes, the manufacturer just trades you with a brand new cartridge.

YMMV
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by gort
Stylus is the metal tip on the cartridge? Can I have my turntable be set up at my local dealer and bring it back home? Or will moving it require setting it up again?

The tip of the stylus is a cut diamond. The level it is mounted on is the cantilever. On a moving magnet cartridge, the whole stylus/cantilever assembly is usually user replaceable.

If the dealer does a good setup job, you can bring it home and start playing it. Once everything is set up, it should stay that way on most tables.

Mar 13, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 10
I strongly recommend the Shure V15VXMR cartridge. You can find it on the web for around $225 and I like it better than my $700 Benz Glider moving coil cartrdige.

The Shure does have less detail, which can be a blessing for headphones and the stylus can easily be replaced.

Mar 13, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

MY TT technician says that in most environments, air pollutants will mess up a cartridge before the stylus wears out--about 3 years. You might get less if, like Hirsch, you had it running 24/7!

Hi Jopi; glad you found a kind of solution to your noise problem.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
MY TT technician says that in most environments, air pollutants will mess up a cartridge before the stylus wears out--about 3 years. You might get less if, like Hirsch, you had it running 24/7!

Interesting...i'm guessing if you re-cover your table after playing, you may help combat this issue.

my dealer strongly advised against overcleaning the stylus. he says in general, if you records are clean, the stylus will remain clean. what often happens to cartridges is not stylus wear, but a death of the suspension to the cantilever, as alluded to above. over cleaning can put wear on this suspension or whicking of the stylus cleaning fluid can dry out this suspension prematurely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back