Vinyl owners: How diligent are you…
Feb 9, 2010 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tru blu

Headphoneus Supremus
…about cleaning your prize possessions? Connoisseurs say you're s'posed to wash discs before each playing session, but I must confess I get lax. Just wondering how often other Head-fiers break out the solution, brush, record-cleaning machine or whatever.

P.S. If there's a cleaning product you absolutely swear by, it'd be cool to know that, too.
k701smile.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 17
Dont have an RCM, so dont clean that often. If anything I use home brew to clean some really dirty records (warm soap water, alchohol and distilled water). But I always use CF brush before and after plays, and clean the needle using Magic eraser.

Most of the times though, its RCA discwasher on used records I just purchased, followed by CF brush. If it doesnt sound listenable after that, then most likely, major wash aint gonna help all that much.

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 17
In the last seven years or so I've gone from a super anal vinylholic to one that let the needle clean the grooves to somewhere in between. I'm pretty lazy so if a disc needs cleaning, I'll either A) Put some Record Research Lab's one-step fluid onto a Discwasher D4 brush and clean or B) Clean with the same one-step fluid on the VPI 16.5 using the supplied nylon brush.

The "best" cleaning formula I've ever used is the Disc Doctor solution with their brush(es). I used one brush for the wash and another one for the rinse. The records became pretty pristine and reduced any surface noise levels to (usually) inaudible levels.

But that takes too long.

I've got a few systems throughout my home and the one in my bedroom, which I generally play my "do I want to keep it" stack still (mostly) gets the "let the stylus clean it" treatment of most records.

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 17
If you use a wet-vacuum record cleaning machine, you only have to do that ONCE. When the record goes on the TT, I just use a dry discwasher brush to catch any small dust that may have landed on the record.

Of course, all my records, once they are cleaned, go in anti-static sleeves, and then the LP's themselves go in outer sleeves, so they don't get much dust in them while stored. But still - if you use a RCM, there is no need to do this more than just once. Then a quick hit with a dry brush right before playing takes 2 seconds.

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 17
1.) Mobile Fidelity Super Deep Cleaner - Vacuum
2.) L’Art du Son - Vacuum
3.) Distiled water - Vacuum

Cleans the grubbiest of records. Should be good for months after such a wash. A vacuum RCM is a must!

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 17
I use the Disc Doctor fluid and brushes, pretty much once per LP. I'm still going through the collection to get through that first time, though. After that, a brush before and after playing, and a swipe to the stylus now and then.

- Ed

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 17
I wash them once at the beginning and put them into a clean sleeve. After that, they get brushed before and after play, before going back into the sleeve. If something gets really dirty, I'll wash it again, but usually the stay clean this way.

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 17
I only use a carbon fiber brush, i also have one of those nagaoka rollers, it's quite effective in removing any visible dust from the record...but badly worn ones won't sound good even after the best cleaning treatments...

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 17
For light cleaning, would a microfiber rag do, or would it be better to spring for one of them newfangled carbon fiber brushes?

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #11 of 17
I'm with all the others who use a vacuum RCM on the first play, and then a carbon fiber brush only on each subsequent listening.

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you use a wet-vacuum record cleaning machine, you only have to do that ONCE. When the record goes on the TT, I just use a dry discwasher brush to catch any small dust that may have landed on the record.

Of course, all my records, once they are cleaned, go in anti-static sleeves, and then the LP's themselves go in outer sleeves, so they don't get much dust in them while stored. But still - if you use a RCM, there is no need to do this more than just once. Then a quick hit with a dry brush right before playing takes 2 seconds.

This is what I do also. I use a VPI 16.5 RCM with MoFi fluids and brushes to clean all my new vinyl acquisitions. Then generally use a CF brush and a stylus brush before playing each side. I use a cleaner on the stylus every 10 albums or so...

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 17
Wow…more folks have vacuum machines than I would've imagined, but then, this is Head-fi. Not ready to splash cash on one of those just yet, but hmmm…definitely enlightening.

Looking forward to hearing from others…
happy_face1.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow…more folks have vacuum machines than I would've imagined, but then, this is Head-fi. Not ready to splash cash on one of those just yet, but hmmm…definitely enlightening.

Looking forward to hearing from others…
happy_face1.gif

You might want to check with the stereo shops close by - many have RCMs that you can use for nominal charges. The shop close to my house charges $.50 per record - well worth it to try an RCM out to see if it is something that you like (or just for some favored records)

My cleaning sequence is similar to those above:

1) Clean all new acquisitions on VPI 16.5 (I use the VPI solution but am open to trying others - I get nice, silent, vinyl from this combo)
2) Stick into poly sleeve and store record and cover in a bag
3) Brush before play and clean stylus with Onzow every side
4) I don't brush the record again before storing - I might want to start doing this

Listening to a dollar bin record right now, just cleaned it and it sounds great!

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #15 of 17
Righ now I'm letting the needle do the cleaning. However I swear the store I buy my used vinyl from cleans the records before selling them. All the ones I buy are shiny and have barely any tics and pops. I do want to get a double sided Nitty Gritty machine in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back