Vinyl or CD ? headache !!!
Dec 29, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #61 of 72
Like I said earlier..I like both formats. On the vinyl, I don't collect albums that have scratches, pops or clicks...really, 90% of my stock is dead silent. And while CD or digital may be cleaner, for me, vinyl is warmer, seems more alive. But again, it all depends on mastering. Good example...I love Bob Seager but I have never heard one of his VINYL LP's that didn;t sound a but screechy...mastering...

I do like CD for more modern music...Maroon 5, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry ..yeah ...this old guy listens to it all...LOL

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #62 of 72
Hi arcorob; Its higly interesting that taste in music and mastering versions and media is so individual. I personally think that most modern CD masterings are horrible and prefer LP's in that case, whereas the "old" stuff I typically find great on CD - the exact opposite of yourself. I do find it a interesting that you like the "warm" vinyl sound, but also the "hard" typically block-limited CD's of present times
blink.gif
. I do find your description of vinyl as "warm" very true indeed. I guess it's the same trend for headphones that some like one "sound" and others not so much; I'm personally more to the analytical/neutral sound I think, but I absolutely hate a metallic "high" tone which I find removes me from the musical experience. I guess the headline for the thread "Vinyl or CD ? headache !!!" is very fitting. The music is what makes this hobby interesting
gs1000.gif
and I wish there were more discussions about music and mastering versions; loudness seems only to be part of the story...

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #63 of 72
  Hi arcorob; Its higly interesting that taste in music and mastering versions and media is so individual. I personally think that most modern CD masterings are horrible and prefer LP's in that case, whereas the "old" stuff I typically find great on CD - the exact opposite of yourself. I do find it a interesting that you like the "warm" vinyl sound, but also the "hard" typically block-limited CD's of present times
blink.gif
. I do find your description of vinyl as "warm" very true indeed. I guess it's the same trend for headphones that some like one "sound" and others not so much; I'm personally more to the analytical/neutral sound I think, but I absolutely hate a metallic "high" tone which I find removes me from the musical experience. I guess the headline for the thread "Vinyl or CD ? headache !!!" is very fitting. The music is what makes this hobby interesting
gs1000.gif
and I wish there were more discussions about music and mastering versions; loudness seems only to be part of the story...

I completely agree with the mastering..and vinyl add's several levels of complexity. The mastering can be great but pressings vary. For example,  Amazon put out the Beatles box set (13 albums) which were excellent...except..not all the pressings were. I was an early adopter (as many were) and we had issues with warps, off center spindle holes and scuffs. amazon replaced the set and the were good but generally, it was found the EU pressings were pristine whereas the US pressings were hit and miss...all with the same mastering.

Then as I pointed out, certain artists just never seemed to have a truly GREAT mastering (Bob Segar, Eddie Money) whereas some seem that every album is mastered well.

Its ALL good as long as you are enjoying the music !!!

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #65 of 72
  Vinil if they have it. As of late these producers have been giving the birdy to the redbook for the sake of it.

Its happened witha few albums, the CD was mastered differently to boost the sales of the vinyl.

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #66 of 72

So a well mastered CD is just as good (or better) than vinyl, without the pops and cracks.

I think currently, vinyl is often mastered better than mainstream CDs, because vinyl counts as an audiophile format these days. For the same reason, SACDs seem to be mastered better than regular CDs too, as far as I can say.

Adele sounds so bad, as jesperson has pointed out (and let me add Lana del Rey), because the majority of the buyers are young and use phones to listen to their music. Phones need heavy compression and boosted bass to sound somehow tolerable.

The question which of the two storage formats sounds better, if both are recorded and mastered as good as possible is much harder to answer. I always refer to the results of a listening contest that has been carried out by one of my favorite hifi shops in Berlin.From time to time they invite listeners on Friday evenings and compare music on their latest equipment.
When they compared SACD/CD with vinyl on basic equipment, intermediate level equipment and highest end equipment, the audience voted like this: vinyl sounded always good compared to CD, on all levels - better on the better turntables of course. CD came very close to vinyl only on the high-end equipment. SACD sounded as good as vinyl, but also only on the best players.

They made an extra note for music from a computer: This sounded much better than expected and was on par with the Rega RP3 (the intermediate level turntable). Better than from the Exposure CD players (the low and intermediate level players).

Equipment used:
Rega RP1, Albedo NF-Cable, Ortofon 2M Blue (MM)
Rega RP3, Dynavector10X5
Exposure 1010CD and 3010CD
MacBook, HRT MusicStreamer HD DAC

Playback Designs MPS-3 CD-Player
Roksan Xerxes XX, EMT HSD6  (MC)

All turntables used the Nagra BPS phono amp

All sources were amplified with
Jeff Rowland Capri S2 pre
Jeff Rowland 201 main
Dynaudio Focus 380 Speakers

The result fits well to my experience. A really good DAC lets digitally stored music sound very good and natural. If music sounds bad, the mastering failed, not the player or the DAC.
On the other hand, instead of buying a cheap CD player, the sound may be better from a turntable in the same price range.

Dec 31, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #67 of 72
Hey Guys,

It's all about bit-rate and preventing clock problems in the time-area.
Don't forget, the fact that lots of really good sounding vinyl was recorded digital on bit/sample rates now not even used on Hi-res streaming.

Grtz mdpu

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #70 of 72
Happy New Year to everyone,

And don' t make the same mistake I did, to proces your vinyl recordigs at a low bit-rate.
You need at leased 24bit-96kHz to capture the potential of a good vinyl.

I stopped digitising vinyl; I play vinyl on the couch and play stuff already digital when I am on the road.

Ps on "random access memories" the track "whitin" from Daft Punk is spacing and treble (high head ) on vinyl better then Hi-res streaming, the bass fundament of the steam is much better.

Go for it,

Grtz Mdpu

Jan 1, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #71 of 72
Happy New Year to everyone,

And don' t make the same mistake I did, to proces your vinyl recordigs at a low bit-rate.
You need at leased 24bit-96kHz to capture the potential of a good vinyl.

I stopped digitising vinyl; I play vinyl on the couch and play stuff already digital when I am on the road.

Ps on "random access memories" the track "whitin" from Daft Punk is spacing and treble (high head ) on vinyl better then Hi-res streaming, the bass fundament of the steam is much better.

Go for it,

Grtz Mdpu

I have a 24Bit/48KHz Behringer converter and digitise my Vinyls at that resolution. If I could find one with a similar cost 96KHz, I would move on to 24/96. RAM track "within" has content well beyond 20KHz (Vinyl digitised). Track "Doin' It Right" has beyond 23KHz. Does this contribute to listening pleasures?
I have the Spectrum Analysis pictures in my Dropbox but do not know how to insert it here.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #72 of 72
The difference is not in the end (missing high frequencies), it's in missing details and accuracy in reproduction. Why sound a vinyl like a live performance (seams like the artists are in front of you) and cd sounds like the artists are behind a curten?
You can't visualise the difference with spectrum analysis, but hear it immediatly.
I used a dat-recorder 16-48 so using 24bit is much more info than the set up I used.

Very nice pressing by the way!!!!

Grtz mdpu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back