Vinyl on the cheap?
Feb 15, 2007 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Gil Schwartzman

500+ Head-Fier
I would really like to get a turntable. However, I currently only have three vinyls... and I've yet to find any others I really want. I know there are some out there, but just the same I an not head over heels for vinyl... for now anyways.

But, I do want to listen to what I have. I see a lot of way expensive turn tables...way more than I want to spend. Are there any turntables in the $100 area that could do me right? I don't need anything fancy long as it works and sounds good.

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 28
I'm kind of curious about this too. I don't currently own any vinyl, but would like to get into it. What's the absolute cheapest I can get, sound quality aside? (I can always upgrade later.)

Feb 15, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 28
Check local ebay auctions and garage sales for a dual turntable. They sound better than new turntables that cost three times as much.

See ya
Steve

Feb 15, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #6 of 28
Check out your local craigslist.org. I see turntables ranging from $10 and up in my area.

Feb 15, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check local ebay auctions and garage sales for a dual turntable. They sound better than new turntables that cost three times as much.

+1

Feb 15, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaseJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have to have a phono stage in your amp to make the turntable work?

Yes, or add a separate phono preamp, just amping a low level phono signal will not work due to the RIAA EQ required at both ends

Feb 15, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any turntables in the $100 area that could do me right?

There are quite a few that would be a good starting point but someone also asked the question about a phono stage, which you definitely need.
My best advice to you: buy only a turntable with auto-lift or auto-stop at the end of the record. Anything else most likely would have you so frustrated that you'd not use it.
Examples of reasonable budget tables: Most 1980's Harman Kardon (T45 for example) are quite stable and quiet. If you want one that feels more like the "real thing" then look for an AR Sugden BD2/A. You find these below $100 despite the fact that they're quite scarce. They're noisier than the HK tables but have a more rythmic "pace".
The above usually come with an average moving-magnet (MM) cartridge like a Shure M95 or V-15. If you are really lucky you'll find a BD2 with Audio Dynamics (ADC) XLM-II cartridge like I once found...
k1000smile.gif

As for a phono stage, they range from $19 ebay specials to sky high. In your price range you'll do well with a used mid-80's discrete preamp such as NAD 1020B or Adcom GFP-1, which sell around $50. You could also build a decent opamp-based phono stage around $20 if you are a DIYer or even a JFET/transistor unit around $40. The latter would leave in the dust many expensive commercial units...
biggrin.gif

Shop carefully and you'll be able to put together a decent vinyl setup around $100. If you insist on newer (not always better!) components then the price of admission is much higher.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My best advice to you: buy only a turntable with auto-lift or auto-stop at the end of the record. Anything else most likely would have you so frustrated that you'd not use it.
Examples of reasonable budget tables: Most 1980's Harman Kardon (T45 for example) are quite stable and quiet. If you want one that feels more like the "real thing" then look for an AR Sugden BD2/A. You find these below $100 despite the fact that they're quite scarce. They're noisier than the HK tables but have a more rythmic "pace".

Don't know about the Auto - Lift thing. Most cheaper belt drive turntables have pretty poorly implemented mechanically coupled auto lift features which are just a plastic or metal lever attaching the tonearm to the platter (not a good idea in terms of sound quality).
Some of the Japanese direct drive decks like Denon or possibly late '70s US Marantz (before it was bought by Philips) have much better implemented auto stop which rely on photo electric cells. But this technology wasn't cheap back then so you'd be lucky to find a deck with these features for a resonable price 2nd hand.
If you value convenience then B&O or the early Technics Linear tracking decks like the SL-10 are probably the best bet in sound quality terms. Only take a B&O if you know the stylus isn't worn though as replacements are 150USD +.

I am not familiar with the HK but the AR and Connoisseur (Sugden) decks are definitely seconded. 60's decks like Lenco usually have autostop features but these are idler drive so the design is completely different under the hood. Some cheaper belt drive Thorens like the TD166 have autostop but the first tweak most people do these days is to disconnect it.

Generally if you can't be arsed to lift off your records at the end of each side I'd say stick with CD
wink.gif

Quote:

The above usually come with an average moving-magnet (MM) cartridge like a Shure M95 or V-15. If you are really lucky you'll find a BD2 with Audio Dynamics (ADC) XLM-II cartridge like I once found...
k1000smile.gif

Nothing average about the Shure V series if you are lucky enough to bag one of these you'll find spare stylii can run to several hundred dollars if you can find one. Many people rate these as amongst the best MM's made.

Feb 17, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of the Japanese direct drive decks like Denon or possibly late '70s US Marantz (before it was bought by Philips) have much better implemented auto stop which rely on photo electric cells.

Harman Kardon too... They were popular because of their "serious" looks and many are available in the used market for not much.
The Sugden BD2 "Connoisseur" is a great sleeper. The standard SAU2 tonearm tracks real well and is not finicky on its setup. The auto-lift feature works very well too. In fact, I better go flip the record...
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
Generally if you can't be arsed to lift off your records at the end of each side I'd say stick with CD
wink.gif

I disagree. If the record was on the Oracle Delphi then I wouldn't be sitting here reading the forum! You can't argue with success!!!
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
Nothing average about the Shure V series

It's good but a bit over-rated. Try the XLM-II... You may never go back...
icon10.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

I disagree. If the record was on the Oracle Delphi then I wouldn't be sitting here reading the forum! You can't argue with success!!!
wink.gif

Yes but my point was generally speaking automatic features were expensive back in the day and if they weren't they were at the expense of sound quality on the whole.
Since most people looking for a starter deck are not going to be lucky enough to stumble accross an Oracle then it's better to go after budget 'purist' designs as these will be way more common.
In fact many budget decks until the early '80s had auto lift if memeory serves. I am thinking of the Dual's, Pioneer PD-11/12/120 etc. It was Rega who set the minimalist trend with the Planar 3 and every budget deck with audiophile pretensions has followed suit ever since.

Quote:

It's good but a bit over-rated. Try the XLM-II... You may never go back...
icon10.gif

I have the V15VMR and was pretty happy with it until I got into MC's but I'll keep my eyes peeled for ADCs now thanks.
cool.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact many budget decks until the early '80s had auto lift if memeory serves. I am thinking of the Dual's, Pioneer PD-11/12/120 etc. It was Rega who set the minimalist trend with the Planar 3 and every budget deck with audiophile pretensions has followed suit ever since.

I guess we should shoot the marketing guys at Rega...
very_evil_smiley.gif
There are many good budget options, as you pointed out. I just wanted people to consider them as the better options, because most advice you read on the web tells you to buy a clunky no-frills AR or Thorens. They don't always tell you that you have to mod, tweak and/or baby the thing... That's not what most people have in mind with their first vinyl rig!
I prefer to listen so I keep two setups... The sexy Oracle
rolleyes.gif
which sits in the corner collecting dust - and the utilitarian Sugden
eggosmile.gif
which keeps spinning records several hours a day!

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #15 of 28
I'd do my homework over at AA in the vinyl asylum. A lot of members there build very beautiful and musically satisfying setups on tight budgets. One of the biggest issues it seems to me, is not necessarily that its expensive to build a decent vinyl rig, but that the older units which are often times the real value kits require significantly more 'technical suave' then newer machines.

Lots to change, adjust, re-grease, track down, work around, etc. But if you've got the patience to learn the ropes I think their input would likely be best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back