Vinyl Lovers needed, thorens 124 or technics 1200??
Mar 5, 2002 at 11:38 AM Post #16 of 28
Boy I had the SL-1200 MK II with a sure V-15 type II and type IV with with a Sure SAE type III Arm and thought that sounded great. is there Better? Ya CD's sound dark Compaired to records Evean with Normal quality Tables.

Mar 9, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Fred - I'd like to discuss other components as well, you've got emial.
smily_headphones1.gif
I only have phono input on my Pioneer receiver, I'd like to get a good phono stage.

Me? I have not been on Head-Fi for a few days. The head-fi website will not let me email anyone or private message anyone???? YO! MODERATOR!

With my MMF-5 I use a ROTEL RQ970BX Phone "Equalizer"/stage.
I LOVE the Rotel. It is about $200 in most places. They also pop up on eBay sometimes. If you get it new, it usually has a FIVE year warranty! It takes MM/MC. My Rotel is connected to my Acurus preamp with a Straightwire Encore II interconnect.
The cheapest interconnect you should use is a Straightwire SYmphony II, ant about $50. I recommend the Encore.

Mar 10, 2002 at 11:25 PM Post #19 of 28
For what it is worth, the Soma series makes good tables for decent money, as does Denon, if you find the older model denons, ie. made in the 80's, they were, to me, a bit spendy, but well built, and you did'nt mention if you were going to use moving magnet, or moving coil cartridges, the most common are m.m., the more spendy are the m.c., and to use m.c., you need an amp, or pre-amp, with the switch to either or, I was told by a good friend, that the m.c. cart. puts out much deeper db level than the m.m., and I think that the stylus that comes with the m.c. cart. is not replacable, so you have to junk some of them when the styli wear out, and buy another cart.
There are other phono stage amps like creek, that are not to expensive, if your amp, or receiver has no phono stage.
And then there are the arm type, like pivoting vs. linear tracking, and S-shaped arms vs. straight arms, I used to have an old Technics table, it was direct drive, and I bought Audio-Technica gel leg stabilizers for the bottom factory rubber cups, as during heavy dance parties, the vibration from the dancing would skip the stylus, and I did'nt like that, CD players do it to, just get about 40-50 people in your stereo room dancing, and see what I mean. Classic Audio, a vintage, high-end dealer around New York, has lots of tables, new and used, also look up audio retailers online, and you can find lots of good dealers, like Hi-Fi Farm in Virginia. Anyway, good luck to all looking, I will try and remember more of the older Denon t.table #, and also older Yamaha tables too!, and btw, the Technics is a very good table for home, not just DJ, IMO

Mar 11, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #20 of 28
PREAMP:

Do NOT get the Radio Shack or any other of the (basically identical) <$40 pre-amps. I've tried them. They do work. But basically with the sound quality of entry level mass-market components. If you're looking for the Vinyl Experience, you're not going to get it playing a nice setup through one of those things. What you'll get is the Cheap Solid State Experience.

If you're really on a budget, you'd do at least as well buying not-entry-level mass market receiver or integrated amp from the 70s or 80s for less than $100. You'd get a better phono stage, plus all the other capabilities of the unit as well whether you use them or not.

I did very well for a couple years using a Dynaco PAS-2 for a tubed phono stage. Not the ultimate, but very enjoyable and these go for around $75. (I still have mine if anyone's interested, looks good but should really get a through cleaning/parts update).

CARTRIDGE:

I've owned about a dozen. Without hesitation, I believe that the best budget cartridges are made by our familiar friend Grado. For a bit more money, my favorites are Sumiko Blue Point or Blue Point Special. They don't need a MC pre-amp. I think the current V-15 is very good, but not excellent, and it hums a bit on my Merril-modded AR/Rega set up.

Nov 8, 2003 at 6:06 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso

Technics are, to my knowledge, mostly designed for DJ use, and really not suitable for home, high fi, use. Rugged and all that, but not designed for pure music listening.

Sorry, I know this thread is old...but it really bugs me when I see people writing that horrible misconception.

My Technics 1200 with the Ortofon Night Club S (YES, that's right: NIGHT CLUB!----of course, the S version) gives amazing warmth, detail and "cripsness" that is sadly overlooked. I think most people say, "Oh, that night club cartridge and technics turntable is for DJ use, so it won't sound good to an audiophile." So untrue. I restore vinyl for people all the time, and people are always blown away by the final result.

Oh, I'm sure once you get into the $1000 range, the tables will sound a lot better...but that's with any format's different high-end equipment.....

Another thing that's blown out of proportion is the "noise" from the beltless drive. This is the 21st century. Beltless drives from the 1200 series have been vastly improved. Although they have some noise, of course, I feel that they are equal to, if not better than most of the belt drive tables in its price range (of course, this is my opinion---based on what I've listened to)

Anyway, I feel that the Technics 1200 can fit in PERFECTLY w/ a moderately-priced hi-fi system. Purchasing a turntable MUST include a good record cleaner....so, when you include that as part of the package....you're talking $800-1000 for the whole purchase. Nice.

Nov 8, 2003 at 3:16 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. X
(YES, that's right: NIGHT CLUB!----of course, the S version)

That's interesting - why do you prefer the spherical over the elliptical needle?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 8, 2003 at 4:01 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
That's interesting - why do you prefer the spherical over the elliptical needle?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I think it sounds outstanding. I thought the elliptical would have sounded much better (since S is just a plug), but I don't think that's the case. Plus, I know of people who have had problems with the E.

Anyway, I'm sure people will disagree, but that's all because everyone's ears are different...

Nov 9, 2003 at 4:58 AM Post #25 of 28
If I'm working and want music on I'll play a CD. If I've got a nice glass of wine and some time and want to enjoy the music, It's always on vinyl. There's an almost romantic quality to it. You'll love it, good luck!

Nov 11, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. X

with the Ortofon Night Club S (YES, that's right: NIGHT CLUB!----of course, the S version) gives amazing warmth, detail and "cripsness" that is sadly overlooked.

. . . for those of you who are interested in tracking at 3gms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back