vinyl: hard to install new cartridge?
Jan 2, 2007 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BoxBoxBox

Aka: AndrewG
considering going RS-1 and get a Grado cartridge, but I've been scared to touch the hardware of my turn table once I got it right. Is it difficult to install a new cartridge?

Jan 2, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 7
I don't know about difficult, but it can certainly be a PITA. Luckily I have a technics, and with those all you have to do is set the overhang and everything works out. Your table might be as easy or it might involve special guages, tiny screws, magnifying glasses, and swearing.

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 7
installing is easy, but you have to be careful

getting it "just right" can be a a pain in the ass.... it depends how easily adjustable your arm is and if you have the right tools (good protacters, levels, scale, Hi-Fi News Test LP)

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxBoxBox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
considering going RS-1 and get a Grado cartridge, but I've been scared to touch the hardware of my turn table once I got it right. Is it difficult to install a new cartridge?

it's fairly easy but you need a few things
a scale made for measuring the tracking force

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....art&1170568859

something to measure the carts postion in the arm (I use the mofi tool but there are a few other ones out there)
http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=341
some small tools
a set of small screwdrivers and tweezers
a test record is also valuable there are at least three good ones, Hi Fi News, Cardas and Analogue Productions

Plus some valium to calm the nerves the first time out, I would set aside at least an hour. It will probably not take that long to get it roughed in.

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 7
I did it for the first time last weekend. Took about 30 minutes to put a Grado Gold on a Rega RB300 arm. I used an alignment printout from The Vinyl Engine, made the other adjustments according to the instructions, and it worked the first time. The cartridge has broken in a little and is sounding really good. Just follow the instructions and do not be in a hurry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back