Vinyl guru question
Sep 21, 2003 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sol_Zhen

Takes his kids to the natatorium every morning.
I just picked up a Thelonious Monk LP that has the phrase "Users of wide-range equipment should adjust their controls to the RIAA curve for best results," on the back of the jacket.

So, wondering What an RIAA Curve is, I ran a google search and found this: http://www.tanker.se/lidstrom/riaa.htm .

It says, "LP's are engraved with reduced bass levels and increased treble levels," and then goes on into details of the curve.

What to make of it? If I have well implemented tone controls on my integrated, should I run the treble slightly cold and the bass slightly hot to more closely approximate the original recording? Or should I just leave it flat and ignore this "RIAA Curve" and the way LPs are cut thing?

confused.gif

BTW - the album is pretty jamming so far.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm 3/4 through side one.

Sep 21, 2003 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 3
RIAA equalization is used on almost every LP. The phono section you are using has built in RIAA equalation. It's not an option. The equalization is necessary so that the size of the modulations in the groove doesn't get out of hand at the frequency extremes. This makes tracking the groove much easier.

There are some recordings that use a slightly different equalization curve, but those are rare and most phono sections won't deal with them.

Run your tone controls flat (if that's your preference) and the phono stage will take care of the rest.

Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
I just picked up a Thelonious Monk LP that has the phrase "Users of wide-range equipment should adjust their controls to the RIAA curve for best results," on the back of the jacket.

So, wondering What an RIAA Curve is, I ran a google search and found this: http://www.tanker.se/lidstrom/riaa.htm .

It says, "LP's are engraved with reduced bass levels and increased treble levels," and then goes on into details of the curve.

What to make of it? If I have well implemented tone controls on my integrated, should I run the treble slightly cold and the bass slightly hot to more closely approximate the original recording? Or should I just leave it flat and ignore this "RIAA Curve" and the way LPs are cut thing?

confused.gif

BTW - the album is pretty jamming so far.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm 3/4 through side one.

Sep 21, 2003 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 3
So compensation for the RIAA curve is built into my Phono pre-amp? Sweet!
biggrin.gif

Thanks, man.

[edit] Side 2 is cool as well.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's the Thelonious Monk and Sonny Rollins LP on Prestige records (OJC-059).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back