Vinyl Flat Can Opener + AudioSource Amp-100
Jun 25, 2014 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Namtar

Head-Fier
Of anywhere I can ask I feel it must be here.  Has anyone used the Can Opener with standard headphones off of a AudioSource Amp-100?  I'm wondering as if it is a proven product  so I can use my Magni elsewhere in the house and save myself the cost difference between the C.O. and an Asgard 2 / Valhalla 2 (whichever I were to choose).  Currently I've only a pair of HD 598 but will eventually get into something like the HD 650 or HD 700 so I'm not driving ortho's or anything so I'm wondering if anyone has any input for me. 

EDIT:  I purchased it and it should be here before 4th of July.  I'll try to do some A/B testing and compare it to my Magni with a little of my youtube favorites and post my personal impressions.  Doubt it'll be leaps and bounds better but who knows. 

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #2 of 4
I also decided to order 2x 3ft banana plug ended cables from BlueJeansCable just for fun - and it'll assure I have the best connection from the amp to my headphones. (Plus I'm out of speaker wire and don't feel like making my own - Yes I know it's a hell of a lot cheaper - but I may as well go for the gusto since I haven't ordered an amp superior to the Magni - and the cost of the Can Opener + the new cables is still less than most headphone amps that are clearly superior to the Magni.)  Now I get to play the waiting game.  Everything should still be here before the 4th of july.  I'll have friday and saturday to get some time in testing between the amps.  I'm going to have a PC gaming binge too (WoW & Diablo 3) so i can use those as well as reference points since I'm *very* familiar with the sounds, music, and ambiance in them.

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 4
Disclaimer:  I'm not an audiophile, I just enjoy gaming and music.  I'm comparing the AudioSource Amp-100 + Vinyl Flat Can Opener to my Schiit Magni.  My headphones are exclusively the Sennheiser HD 598.  The source material is coming from the official youtube channel video for Metallica, output from PC to the Schiit Bifrost Uber via USB.  I'm running the DAC to the Audiosource and from the Audiosource Line Out to the Magni.  The Can Opener is powered by the B set of speakers on the Amp.  A speakers are diabled (not using the A+B)  For reference on the amp I'm going to compare the HD 598 to my ARX A2rx-c speakers
First Listening Impressions.  I've spent about 30 minutes comparing the two methods of amplification using the song "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica (One of my favorites).  Overall the Can Opener is a great product.  It faithfully puts through my headphones what the Amp is putting out.  I'm doing comparisons just switching the A and B outputs from my Audiosource and the same intonations are being recreated by the speakers and my headphones so I know the difference in sound is from the amplifiers and not anything else.  The AudioSource amp is roughly 80% as good as the Magni for driving headphones through the Can Opener.  When I listen to audio through the Magni it sounds more full.  There is a much better quality to bass and treble.  The mids are about equal through either amp.  I'm in no way disappointed by my purchase of the Can Opener - but I'm definitely thinking of finding a better amplifier for my speakers now as I feel I'm losing out! (Anyone want to give me a free Schiit Ragnarok?)  For those without headphone amplifiers I would absolutely say get the Magni over a Can Opener unless you've a really really good speaker amplifier around or something that gives you the ability to EQ your output.  For a little more than the cost of my setup (Amp-100 + Can Opener) you could get one of several other amplifiers that would easily give you far more sound quality for your dollar. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 4
Second comparison.  I pulled my Pioneer VSX 1021k upstairs and started playing with it.  Pure Direct mode to stereo out to the can opener.  Bifrost is still being used as the DAC.  This is a *much* closer comparison to the Magni.  The higher the volume is from the Pioneer the closer to the Magni it becomes.  The magni has slightly more seperation between instruments when listening (Did a quick comparison for about 15 minutes using Applause by Lady Gaga and Can't Hold Us by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis.)  Aside from that I'm getting punchy bass from the Pioneer - not as much as the Magni - but more than satisfactory.  I'd give it 95% or 98% of the Magni and equivlent to it if you're at a loud volume.  By loud I'm talking higher than I'm comfortable listening to for long periods of time due to fatigue but not painful levels.

As a side note the AVR does provide higher quality audio through my speakers than the AudioSource does.  For now the Pioneer is going to reside on my computer desk since I'm not using my TV/PS3 for much of anything at the moment. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back