Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Aug 25, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #1,471 of 2,710
Aug 25, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #1,472 of 2,710
I just watched Ana[Dia]log's piece on DMM mastering. I didn't think about it but this is in fact a shorter route too, like the 'one-step'. Only the 12 or so cutting lathes are rare. Mostly in Europe.
The usual comment is that it sounds 'harsh' in the highs, possibly due to the required processing for the different cutting angle. I never had any complaints about that. On the positive side they sound really clean and fast. And no echo's. Also, they sold for the same price. Not 125.

It looks like the engineer"s" at Speakers Corner lead a lonely life. :) Here in the Netherlands it's a standing joke: "look, I'm here together with all my friends"

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #1,473 of 2,710
I have listened to samples he provided and they are obviously different mastering, which makes comparison very difficult if not impossible.
Could I see how some might complain about the “harshness”? I guess so.
To my ears, string instruments sounded more to what I would describe as accurate (on DMM). Smoothness of the the lacquer seems to suit something like metal in the 2nd sample. I also noticed less wooly bass with better articulation in DMM recordings. Keep in mind that ref I use at work is Sennheiser PXL550 so far from super revealing transducers.
I know that EU is mostly where DMM is used these days and most mastering/cutting engineers that I am familiar with, aren’t very found of DMM. I don’t see anything wrong with it. Classical or small acoustic arrangement could definitely benefit from DMM…. I guess?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #1,474 of 2,710
I've been looking for DMM records. But I had a hard time finding any. Only Stereotomy by Alan Parsons (which is an early digital recording) and a bunch of... Waxtime Jazz... Of which I noticed the dead quiet vinyl. And since I find most modern lp's to sound overly creamy it's a welcome relief. And that's not an age problem.
Since TelDec bought the technique, I know I have a, lot of classical music mastered with DMM, but many are digital as well. While there's nothing digital about DMM they did emerge at the same time and were regarded as the vanguard technology.

I'm playing Mingus Ah-uhm now on Waxtime blue vinyl. It is so absolutely quiet, it's like listening to digital. In the best sense of the word. It doesn't sound like Jazz at the Pawnshop but it's not bad at all.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #1,475 of 2,710
Where do you think that cream comes from? :wink:
💿

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #1,476 of 2,710
I saw Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies show at the Hollywood Bowl while I was a sophomore in high school. A few years later my friends and I were at Poinsettia Park near Fairfax High playing a pickup softball game, one of our summer rituals back in those days, and someone said "hey that's Alice Cooper playing on the other team." We couldn't believe it! Cool dude, very willing to trade jibes with us. Just a regular Joe. After the game, I remember he told us to check out the community center as there was a band rehearsing there that he thought was gonna be ace. We went and checked them out. All I remember was a song that they had called My Sharona. Lol.

Aug 25, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #1,477 of 2,710
I saw Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies show at the Hollywood Bowl while I was a sophomore in high school. A few years later my friends and I were at Poinsettia Park near Fairfax High playing a pickup softball game, one of our summer rituals back in those days, and someone said "hey that's Alice Cooper playing on the other team." We couldn't believe it! Cool dude, very willing to trade jibes with us. Just a regular Joe. After the game, I remember he told us to check out the community center as there was a band rehearsing there that he thought was gonna be ace. We went and checked them out. All I remember was a song that they had called My Sharona. Lol.
One of the good guys. 👍

Spinning Vega Trails, Tremors in the Static.
18D11D69-A7F1-4A5A-8B5D-1A5978FCD47A.jpeg

Perspective of the recording space.

0131FCD4-788C-4B6B-9192-BBE1C1C03D05.jpeg

And a little bit of Jimmy’ Blues.
E5BBE879-E05F-4FEE-8C01-C6E05F411054.jpeg

Double 45RPM is quite a treat (less than 1000 per stamper QRP, AAA)
574B3F92-CC4A-4222-843F-6813FE7C68E2.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #1,479 of 2,710
Aug 26, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #1,480 of 2,710
That explains my impression of the latest Heilung album “Drif”-

“Drif has been mastered significantly lower in volume than most modern releases to achieve a greater dynamic range, deeper lowend, transparent transients and a wider stereo image. If you want it louder, turn up the volume on a proper sound carrier. “
Uploaded a week ago:

I think it was posted on their FB page. I wouldn’t know since SM garbage makes me gag.

Edit:
Found entire album

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #1,481 of 2,710
That explains my impression of the latest Heilung album “Drif”-

“Drif has been mastered significantly lower in volume than most modern releases to achieve a greater dynamic range, deeper lowend, transparent transients and a wider stereo image. If you want it louder, turn up the volume on a proper sound carrier. “
Uploaded a week ago:

I think it was posted on their FB page. I wouldn’t know since SM garbage makes me gag.

Ha, just before returning here I looked it up. I like the music. I like the sound. But when I look beyond at the covers and names I see all sorts of bells going off. And I'm sure it's all coincidence and heavy metal posturing. I have nothing against paganism in the in the cultural sense or runes as writing. This would be a great soundtrack to 'Vikings' or other. But what puts me of is the open satanism in their symbols (it's beyond white wicca). If you think Baphomet is cool, think again. (also their names, I see Juul , Maria and Faust, very coincidental).

Too bad because I like the music.

---
Today trying to work on my vinyl delivery triple trauma.
Great communication with Boomkat. Not so much from our postal system.
Went to my reliable friendly local retailer. As my Dodax order is history I bought 1 of the records that is now available, just on the shelf. Pay my money and take it home. So now I have the double lp of Rammstein - Mutter. Finally.

---

I also ordered 2 extra headshells from Aliexpress. Arrived in a week, payed €3 total in P&P. The headshell are €15 a piece, solid aluminum (only with through hole from underneath) and cherry with an extra weight if needed for compliance matching. The pins under the collar are a tad too long but that's an easy fix with a nail file (or diamond whetstone).

IMG_20220826_191758.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #1,482 of 2,710
Ha, just before returning here I looked it up. I like the music. I like the sound. But when I look beyond at the covers and names I see all sorts of bells going off. And I'm sure it's all coincidence and heavy metal posturing. I have nothing against paganism in the in the cultural sense or runes as writing. This would be a great soundtrack to 'Vikings' or other. But what puts me of is the open satanism in their symbols (it's beyond white wicca). If you think Baphomet is cool, think again. (also their names, I see Juul , Maria and Faust, very coincidental).

Too bad because I like the music.

---
Today trying to work on my vinyl delivery triple trauma.
Great communication with Boomkat. Not so much from our postal system.
Went to my reliable friendly local retailer. As my Dodax order is history I bought 1 of the records that is now available, just on the shelf. Pay my money and take it home. So now I have the double lp of Rammstein - Mutter. Finally.

---

I also ordered 2 extra headshells from Aliexpress. Arrived in a week, payed €3 total in P&P. The headshell are €15 a piece, solid aluminum (only with through hole from underneath) and cherry with an extra weight if needed for compliance matching. The pins under the collar are a tad too long but that's an easy fix with a nail file (or diamond whetstone).

Better have double LP than non if you really want it. I do that all the time. Extras always find home. No problem with that.

Nice and cheap headshells. Going for a shoot out or just needed some extra?

You’re reading too much into symbolism and paganism. Sure, it’s complex and mystical. But also misunderstood. Including people who claim that they understand it.
Nature of the beast.
Just like any other religion or cultism, you can twist and shape it into anything you like.
History is the best evidence of that.
These days, we are dealing with statism. People who rebelled against authoritarian pr!cks in DC, walked barefoot against water canons and vicious dogs back in the 50’s-60’s,…. today, same people are trying to force you to become an obedient lapdog. Not to mentioned paying the highest taxes in history (mob was more reasonable) for privilege of being abused, exploited and pi$$ed on.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #1,483 of 2,710

And couple more for pre-order on BN. :wink:

Aug 26, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #1,484 of 2,710
I also looked in the jazz section today. Everytime it makes me realize I don't know very much about it. The pleasant thing is that there are a lot of releases of old albums that don't cost an arm an a leg, yet sound better than many old pressings. Thanks to quiet vinyl, less hiss etc. Now if they could only manage that purely analog. But I also noticed a price increase on the Waxtime jazz albums fron €15 to €17.
Btw, I saw Eye in the Sky, I think it was speakers corner? That had a hypesticker: 'This album is mastered purely analog'.

I had set myself a budget of €40, so I had the choice between this Rammstein album or 2 albums that were also very friendly priced. Jack White - 'Boarding house reach' and Roger Waters version of Stravinsky's 'Soldiers Tale'. I didn't know if I would like boarding house reach, so I passed. But after a listen it's well worth the €17. As is the soldiers tale.

---

I wanted some extra headshells so I could easily switch cartridge. I still have a few just sitting there. Now with the Gold Note phono it's easy to switch from AT95 to DV Karat 17DII.

I just took down the AT91 and mounted it on the straight aluminum one. Front screw holes rend the same overhang (there are 4 rows of tapped blind holes on the underside). I have ordered an assortment box full of hex M2.5 in different lenghts with nuts and washers once, do just pick the right length and screw down the cartridge. This is easier than I ever did! Only the threads are hard to push on, very tight. But the endresult looks awesome. It's very sturdy, simple and perfect fit. No visible screw on top. Nice.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #1,485 of 2,710
My local LP store gets quite a bit of records from EU. Including waxtime. Prices vary depending on titles. Usually, between $20-$26. Double LP set at slight premium.
Coincidentally, I've set my budget to certain weekly amount as well. LoL
And my focus will concentrate on very specific labels. Exceptions might be some surprise releases from Analog Production, Impex or something like upcoming Beatles Revolver Deluxe. It won't be easy tho. I gotta feeling that they will try to get us on Christmas spending spree with countless releases hard to pass on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back