Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Jul 16, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #1,096 of 2,710
Good to see that Johnny Depp is playing again instead of being played :wink:

I haven't watched anything about the 'one-steps' yet. Michael Fremer is always fun and educational to watch and I'm watching it now (over 1h though, and he left analog planet, about to set up a new channel: the tracking angle). But I'm not really interested in MoFi.
Simply because I rather buy 3 normal albums instead of overpriced 'audiophile' stuff. Not because I don't like good sound quality but because in my mind I can't justify the price premium.

What I did watch is the criticism of 45 RPM Audiophile on the quality of the jackets by Mofi. The album in question was 'APP - Eye in the sky'. I have 2 original copies of that and both sound stunning. And with an embossed gold leaf eye of Horus and proper jade green background (io the stale moss green of the mofi). A nice jacket is also part of the experience. What stuck is the remark:"they act like; we'll sell them anyway'".

I do have some true 'audiophile' lp's I obtained over the years, none of them impress me.

In the 80-ies I noticed that many lp's had a hype sticker 'digitally remastered', especially classical, they all sounded dull and flat. But nowadays 99.99% is recorded digitally and it sounds really good (provided it is recorded and mastered with care).

And then there's digital and digital. Redbook, or PCM and DSD in different samplerates. Watch 'ask Paul ' ie Paul McGowan from PS-Audio what he says about recording. He has just finished his own new studio so he knows the difference. He says that an lp from a dsd master sounds not the same as the recording, or the master, but sounds very good and is preferred by many. He says he can't tell the dsd master from listening during the recording session.

I used to avoid 'digital remaster' or 'digitally recorded' but 'digital' has improved drastically over the last 10-15 years.
Seems like we follow the same clique of hifi personalities.
I just thought that it was interesting. Especially, for some of our hard core collectors.
Personally, I don't care much about vinyl drama. But there are some transparency issues within MoFi. I will just say, it is not my favorite label.
And yes, it is a lot of money. Especially now.
45. RPM will have Fremer live on Sunday. Could be interesting.....

And congrats on your vinyl ventures. I'll drink a "Mega Pint" to that. Been extremely busy lately but I'll try to catch up with the thread and several dozens of new vinyl that just begs to be played.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #1,097 of 2,710
I bought the Gold Note PH10 with the PSU-10 last Friday, and the dealer brought it to my house personally today (Monday). It's an hours drive, so that's very good service. I bought it just in time before the price increase, and the ph10 even a discount for the demo model. That saved me a lot of money on the new price of €3000 together. I'm a happy camper. For those in the Netherlands, that's mister-hifi.nl

I have just set it up, cables in place but not yet optimal. The looks are stunning. 'It really ties the room together' (same display as my SMSL gear, same width and looks of my TT). The cases are really stylish and well made. I also dig the gold coin logo. It harks back to a culture of over 3000 years. Yet it's top notch modern engineering. And so easy to use with awesome versatility.

IMG_20220718_143117.jpg

And for how it sounds? Well, I'm not going to say too much about that yet. Yes it sounds great. But it also says a lot about how good my setup already was. I just love my silver tranny (and no, I don't mean the LGBTQIANP+ kind). It's one of those subjects where there are two schools of thought. I thought I noticed some tenseness in the all solid state MC versus the transformer to MM. But my Jolida had the same, only much more so. That's the reason I took out the MC. I still have to try tranny to the Gold Note's MM input. Plus routing cables, placing etc. There's just no way around that.
Also a reason for me is that I still have a new Dynavector Karat D17 MKII that does not match well with a transformer (impedance is too high). This should fix that.

I've also tried the MM input with an AT91 with a HE stylus, and wow. That sounded really good. Ok, I miss some refinement, but come on, it's a €10 cartridge with a €70 stylus on a Rega 303. It's all there: speed, slam, tracking, TONE, even a bit of air, and mainly just FUN.

What does that mean? Or what do I mean to say with that? How to balance your budget on a system is always an important quest(ion). One of the first things I learned (with my Dual 504-2) is to upgrade your cartridge right away. Especially on budget turntables (with a gratuitous bland Ortofon). Go get a high output MC. Audio Technica are often snubbed the same. And then I learned from Mr Tiefenbrun, my 2nd, a Linn Axis, that the turntable and arm are most important. Well, yes, true. And, and and... But the phono-amplifier is often overlooked. It has to amplify 40-70dB. That is a *large* jump. You are not going to get good sound with a €100 phono or the majority of built in phonos. Decent, maybe hinting at good.

While a phonoamp might seem expensive, it's a much better and safer investment than a cartridge. When you get something for less than €500 you are saving in the wrong place.

Well, unless you know what to buy (inherent potential), where to buy (ie China or DIY) and how to solder on what parts (roughly understand how a circuit works from a schematic).

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #1,098 of 2,710
Looks like a very versatile unit. I’ve considered it some time ago, soon after it was introduced. Didn’t have my dedicated HP setup back then so there was no need for another box.
But, it seems like there’s quite a positive reception of this phono within vinyl community so, I’m sure it will make music for years to come. With time, your hands on experience with it would be a fun read.

Watched Fremer on 45RPM Sunday live show and it was somewhat interesting but mostly a salty overreaction. Which was funny to watch.

Anyway, I hope to get to my vinyl listening soon with a bit more time to spare.

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #1,099 of 2,710
Also, I just learned that Michael Fremer and his talented young writer Malachi were 'let go' at Analog Planet. A whole new crew took over. There's a whole bunch of comments under the announcement (without a proper 'thank you' to MF). So... I can imagine he's not his usual self. And preoccupied getting his 'new endeavor', tracking angle.com, ready.

I didn't notice until now because I threw the site out of my browser. I coundn't stand the vitriolic, arrogant and clearly biased reviews anymore. And Michaels content was getting few and far apart. As my dad said to the baker:
"you should supply a bike with this raisin bread!"
- "huh?" said the baker. "Why is that?"
"To cycle from from one raisin to the next"
My dad was clearly not satisfied with his 'recipe'.

And I just saw a nice fitting analogy by Norman Maslow on the Musical Fidelity debacle thingy of not being completely analog. He held up 2 identical bananas. One mass market Dole banana and a biologically farmed banana. They taste the same but that's not the point. You buy biological and pay a lot extra for the guaranty that it's farmed with care for the environment. You'd be pissed if it was the same cheap banana sold expensive with a different sticker. (btw you shouldn't buy either because they taste nothing like a real banana, it's like eating oatmeal in comparison).

I just listened again to the new Red Hot Chili Peppers, (LP totally destroyed in Malachi Lui's 'review' of the Digital file) and it sounds sooo good. All analog. Sure, they're a bit older and settled, but they still make some good music.

Jul 18, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #1,100 of 2,710
Also, I just learned that Michael Fremer and his talented young writer Malachi were 'let go' at Analog Planet. A whole new crew took over. There's a whole bunch of comments under the announcement (without a proper 'thank you' to MF). So... I can imagine he's not his usual self. And preoccupied getting his 'new endeavor', tracking angle.com, ready.

I didn't notice until now because I threw the site out of my browser. I coundn't stand the vitriolic, arrogant and clearly biased reviews anymore. And Michaels content was getting few and far apart. As my dad said to the baker:
"you should supply a bike with this raisin bread!"
- "huh?" said the baker. "Why is that?"
"To cycle from from one raisin to the next"
My dad was clearly not satisfied with his 'recipe'.

And I just saw a nice fitting analogy by Norman Maslow on the Musical Fidelity debacle thingy of not being completely analog. He held up 2 identical bananas. One mass market Dole banana and a biologically farmed banana. They taste the same but that's not the point. You buy biological and pay a lot extra for the guaranty that it's farmed with care for the environment. You'd be pissed if it was the same cheap banana sold expensive with a different sticker. (btw you shouldn't buy either because they taste nothing like a real banana, it's like eating oatmeal in comparison).

I just listened again to the new Red Hot Chili Peppers, (LP totally destroyed in Malachi Lui's 'review' of the Digital file) and it sounds sooo good. All analog. Sure, they're a bit older and settled, but they still make some good music.
Got that RHCP as well. It is good. Don't remember what I have paid for it (I think it was at slight premium).... It has been a while, but it was worth it never the less.

And I had no idea Fremer was let go from Analog Planet. That's news to me.
Perhaps that's why he seemed a little on edge....

I'm sure he will be fine. He's still relevant. Gotta respect the guy for standing in defence of vinyl for so many years while everyone else gave up on it. Hope he brings forward some interesting content in his new venture.
Analog Planet was a little boring.
Get your game on and your charisma back Mr. Fremer!

Jul 19, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #1,101 of 2,710
Question.

Is it just me or is ordering online a pain in the neck? Sometimes I wonder if they are real people. They demand instant payment but everything after that is just anxiously hoping and waiting. And that is not because of overworked, underpaid postal workers.

I ordered and paid an order of 5 albums totalling €160 at Dodax (turns out that is in Switzerland, selling native across the EU). They just canceled my order. No reason why.

I ordered at Boomkat in the UK. I had to pay extra import tax, but was to late it seems to pay online, now my package is 'underway, but you will get it, we promise'. That means it's in limbo while you are expected to take that verbal 'soma pill' and relax. Boomkat didn't send it with tracking code (and it wasn't free shipping).

I ordered 'K&D sessions' that was hard to find in Haarlem at North End Haarlem. I already had a bad previous encounter with them where I bought an expensive version of Lana Del Ray's 'Born to die' Dlx Ed. but only got the extra 12" in a box sleeve, ie. it didn't contain the original LP. All I got was "sorry, 'we' can't help you because this is what we got from the distributor and we just stick to the price they give us".
This time I was anxious but told myself it would be OK, don't hold a grudge. They have it in stock it says. Free postage above €70, so I also preordered 'The Smile' special edition yellow vinyl that I wanted. So I finished the ordering process, payed and got the order confirmation.
A week later I got a mail without return adress saying:
- "we didn't get enough of the yellow vinyl. Can we send you the black instead?" (to respond I had to look up the number, add contact to WhatsApp and type my reply, WA calls are not possible).
So I replied that I specifically wanted the yellow version, that's what I ordered and payed for.
- No answer... :zipper_mouth: :thinking::sleeping:
(to be specific, I got an automated message saying: thanks for contacting us but we're not in at the moment. We will reply asap. Open at...)
So last Saturday I was in the local music store and they had the yellow vinyl. Several. So I called the WhatsApp number... Not picking up...
So later I apped and I asked what about my order?
- today, Tuesday: 'well, we sent you an email'
Huh? What, where? Spambox? What? What... Oh, that first email 2 weeks ago.
Continues "The yellow version is out of stock. We do have the black version, it's the same music, or do you want something else? Let us know what you want."
So today I made a regular phonecall and it was actually picked up. So, finally... two way communication... So I explained the situation and said 'I used to do acquisitions professionally, and a contract is a contract. You could at least told me it was out of stock...
-' Sir! Sir, I do not have time for this! It's to busy here'
I'm thinking What? It's over a 100 degrees outside (38°C actually) and there's no one in your shop I'm sure.
So I calmly replied: 'I understand, but I want to resolve this and give you the opportunity to finish your order'. I prepared and already looked in my wanted list and picked 2 alternatives at the same price that were supposed to be in stock. First try; Jimi Hendrix 'Are you experienced' 200g mono.
- 'Erm. Let's see... Er... No. Yes, 180g stereo version'
'No, the 200g mono version.' I said. (I have no idea what older pressing the stereo is, so no thanks)
- 'no, that is coming out later... We don't have that yet'
*sigh* So, do you have Soundgarden 'superunknown'?
- "uhmm... Yes. We have that one here"
'Well good. So we can wrap this up. Please work on your communication because I could have bought the Smile yellow vinyl last Saturday if you had just said something. I'm not pleased with that.'
- mumble, splutter, 'yes but..' 'we said...' feisty reply etc.
Let's finish this order now. Thank you. Goodbye!

So I am getting the scarce K&D sessions that Michael, 45RPM Audiophile prescribed. And another great one. I hope... 🤔

So I dressed lightly, got on my bicycle, drove to town in the scorching heat to get the smile on yellow vinyl. Or just any smile that is real and genuine. Only to find a notice on the storefront saying "only open mornings because of the heat".

"well isn't that ironic?" by Alanis Morrisette would be the soundtrack to this. :xf_cool:

Jul 19, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #1,102 of 2,710
Its true that too hot give problem to the head beca Today I bought new phono
Kondo GE 10 I

Attachments

• 209B7166-97CB-452F-97FB-4AA502729F22.jpeg
    209B7166-97CB-452F-97FB-4AA502729F22.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 91A91152-79E4-4C5E-9A58-3ECD66A303A8.jpeg
    91A91152-79E4-4C5E-9A58-3ECD66A303A8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jul 19, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #1,103 of 2,710
Question.

Is it just me or is ordering online a pain in the neck? Sometimes I wonder if they are real people. They demand instant payment but everything after that is just anxiously hoping and waiting. And that is not because of overworked, underpaid postal workers.

I ordered and paid an order of 5 albums totalling €160 at Dodax (turns out that is in Switzerland, selling native across the EU). They just canceled my order. No reason why.

I ordered at Boomkat in the UK. I had to pay extra import tax, but was to late it seems to pay online, now my package is 'underway, but you will get it, we promise'. That means it's in limbo while you are expected to take that verbal 'soma pill' and relax. Boomkat didn't send it with tracking code (and it wasn't free shipping).

I ordered 'K&D sessions' that was hard to find in Haarlem at North End Haarlem. I already had a bad previous encounter with them where I bought an expensive version of Lana Del Ray's 'Born to die' Dlx Ed. but only got the extra 12" in a box sleeve, ie. it didn't contain the original LP. All I got was "sorry, 'we' can't help you because this is what we got from the distributor and we just stick to the price they give us".
This time I was anxious but told myself it would be OK, don't hold a grudge. They have it in stock it says. Free postage above €70, so I also preordered 'The Smile' special edition yellow vinyl that I wanted. So I finished the ordering process, payed and got the order confirmation.
A week later I got a mail without return adress saying:
- "we didn't get enough of the yellow vinyl. Can we send you the black instead?" (to respond I had to look up the number, add contact to WhatsApp and type my reply, WA calls are not possible).
So I replied that I specifically wanted the yellow version, that's what I ordered and payed for.
- No answer... :zipper_mouth: :thinking::sleeping:
(to be specific, I got an automated message saying: thanks for contacting us but we're not in at the moment. We will reply asap. Open at...)
So last Saturday I was in the local music store and they had the yellow vinyl. Several. So I called the WhatsApp number... Not picking up...
So later I apped and I asked what about my order?
- today, Tuesday: 'well, we sent you an email'
Huh? What, where? Spambox? What? What... Oh, that first email 2 weeks ago.
Continues "The yellow version is out of stock. We do have the black version, it's the same music, or do you want something else? Let us know what you want."
So today I made a regular phonecall and it was actually picked up. So, finally... two way communication... So I explained the situation and said 'I used to do acquisitions professionally, and a contract is a contract. You could at least told me it was out of stock...
-' Sir! Sir, I do not have time for this! It's to busy here'
I'm thinking What? It's over a 100 degrees outside (38°C actually) and there's no one in your shop I'm sure.
So I calmly replied: 'I understand, but I want to resolve this and give you the opportunity to finish your order'. I prepared and already looked in my wanted list and picked 2 alternatives at the same price that were supposed to be in stock. First try; Jimi Hendrix 'Are you experienced' 200g mono.
- 'Erm. Let's see... Er... No. Yes, 180g stereo version'
'No, the 200g mono version.' I said. (I have no idea what older pressing the stereo is, so no thanks)
- 'no, that is coming out later... We don't have that yet'
*sigh* So, do you have Soundgarden 'superunknown'?
- "uhmm... Yes. We have that one here"
'Well good. So we can wrap this up. Please work on your communication because I could have bought the Smile yellow vinyl last Saturday if you had just said something. I'm not pleased with that.'
- mumble, splutter, 'yes but..' 'we said...' feisty reply etc.
Let's finish this order now. Thank you. Goodbye!

So I am getting the scarce K&D sessions that Michael, 45RPM Audiophile prescribed. And another great one. I hope... 🤔

So I dressed lightly, got on my bicycle, drove to town in the scorching heat to get the smile on yellow vinyl. Or just any smile that is real and genuine. Only to find a notice on the storefront saying "only open mornings because of the heat".

"well isn't that ironic?" by Alanis Morrisette would be the soundtrack to this. :xf_cool:
Don't have those issues. Perhaps bc I mostly order from labels directly or two most reputable online US based stores: Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc. I heard there's a paper shortage but it might be just another excuse. Remember covid delays? Well, Analogue Productions as well as others, easily doubled their sells during that time. Wasn't covid perce but demand that could not be fulfilled in timely manner. Sure, shutting down supply chain based on...... "weather report" I guess, didn't help. But they all made a ki!ling during that time.
Everyone is jumping on the gravy train and that is probably why some businesses can't deliver while competing with the big boys.
Overall, I had only two issues with delayed release dates. Marvin Gaye (What’s going on) and latest Blue Note box set (Charles Lloyd).

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #1,104 of 2,710
Kondo GE 10 I
Looks expensive. Probably out of my league.

Jul 19, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #1,105 of 2,710
Kondo GE 10 I
Me piace.

Big boxes. Big money. But quality guaranteed. I wonder what it sounds like compared to what you had before.
Show us your happy face. :beerchug:

Now we are looking for a Japanese member to buy something from another country to continue the estafette (I bought Italian, you bought Japanese...). I suggest he buys 'the grail' from van den Hul. :)

Jul 19, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #1,106 of 2,710
The Grail would be nice…..

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #1,108 of 2,710
I have vdh Master Signature amd Grand Cru next months will try the new Grail SX
Some top notch stuff.
Obviously you have some experience with high end phonostages so, do you have personal preferences or biases between solid state and tube phonos at that level of performance?

Personally, I have been seduced by tube base gear for many years now. However, with vinyl being so susceptible to any noise that can be picked up in analog chain, do you see tube phonos to be in slight disadvantage or those romanticized qualities of tubes make up for it?

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #1,109 of 2,710
As most of you are aware, Kevin Gray started his lable/recording venture with all tube gear in audio chain. Seems that he is ready for business and here’s his first sample recorded at that facility. Presented at the recent T.H.E Show 2022.

Jul 20, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #1,110 of 2,710
I always used tube sonce 1980 till 2015 where I bought ch precision transistor amp and phono and in second system i have kondo tube
Tube i like only triode with 2A3,46 and 845 tube, but power is limited.
Except some very musical tube phono like kondo,Audio tekne,emt jp 66
I prefer transistor phono

Users who are viewing this thread

Back