Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Feb 6, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #886 of 2,710
Ground issue is a b!#ch in general, but having that issue with LP playback is super frustrating. I’ve heard few systems with such issue and it totally took a pleasure away from vinyl enjoyment. Troubleshooting the cause of it can be exhausting to say the least.
Glad to hear you were able to address that to some degree. Time to enjoy some music now.

PS
Order this LP while you can. It’s one of those “get it now or cry later” situations. Once it’s gone, it will cost a pretty penny to get a copy of this must have LP/pressing.
3F60F50B-0FEE-4E0C-9BFB-7D938B4FA8B3.jpeg

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #887 of 2,710
Tubes and caps came in so phono will be out of use till next week. Mod seems pretty straightforward (I hope that I don’t screw up directionality of the caps..).
Also I’ve ordered couple dozen LPs over the last few weeks so I’ll be posting some music/LP reviews over the next few weeks to mix it up a bit. Hope that someone will find it useful.
Today’s order included:
EE4A40FA-383F-48F8-A25A-7669C4C049F9.jpeg

Pre-order as it’s not released yet.
And something I have always wanted but kept missing it. I guess it flies off the shelf due to high demand.
3AFDFD47-A110-4079-B5EB-73AD6C771370.jpeg

Coincidently, I met fellow audiophile from Europe on my vacation break. Not only he’s got a pretty sweat system (Audio Note all around) but shares my attraction towards vinyl. We had some great conversations and agreed to support our LP collection needs. So he will hunt EU rare/audiophile pressings for me and I’ll get him stuff that flies off the shelf here in the States. It’s a win-win in my book and awesome opportunity to make new friends.
Roger Waters above is one of the records he got really excited about so of course I got an extra copy for him as well.

What else….? Oh yeah! Stylus ultrasonic cleaner that I’ve ordered months ago, finally arrived. Not sure what’s going on but it appears that they can’t keep up with orders for this great little gadget.

@]eep, I have some contacts in EU that could help you with speaker cabinets. I didn’t mentioned it before since that person doesn’t deal with “hobbyists” if you know what I mean. But if it takes off and large quantities are a must, let me know.

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #888 of 2,710
You won't screw up directionality of bidirectional caps. Maybe there's a slight preference for inside out or outside in, but just put them in the same direction.

I already have the latter lp, an original. I didn't think it was that special from the looks of the cover. But I don't know that much about jazz. I mean, I recognize the names but not the albums.

Feb 10, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #889 of 2,710
You won't screw up directionality of bidirectional caps. Maybe there's a slight preference for inside out or outside in, but just put them in the same direction.

I already have the latter lp, an original. I didn't think it was that special from the looks of the cover. But I don't know that much about jazz. I mean, I recognize the names but not the albums.
That Duke "new" remastered mono recording is a legend within vinyl audiophile community. Here's its story by M. Fremer: Click here
Not sure how remastered version compares to original but I guess that it might be closer than one thinks. However, fiding a pristine copy could be a challenge. Not to mention that 45rpm version and fact that it is pressed at QRT takes it to another level.

As to caps directionality..... someone once told me that some caps are in fact directional. I also noticed arrows pointing directionality on some caps. Don't know if that really matters or not tho....

Added:
Regarding differences between OG and remastered work Fremer responded:

"Of course the vinyl is far superior as is the pressing quality but also the mastering is superior. The lathes today and the associated electronics are far superior to what was available in 1951. Of course you could say 'well if the recording then was so great and better than what's done today (and when you hear it you'll agree!) you could say 'well then maybe the lathe set up was better then too', but NO!)...this record's transparency will knock you out..."

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #890 of 2,710
Caps that are polarised will have arrows or a plus sign, even some of the “higher end” bipolar caps sometimes have a “preferred” direction in their description, different end cap, input lead etc but if both end look identical it doesn’t matter …

Feb 10, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #891 of 2,710
Right. Foil caps are bidirectional. The difference between the two ends is the end where it's attached to the foil. So either on the inside or the outside. And indeed, sometimes there is a small arrow. But that is just slight preference it's not like it won't work or not perform properly if you solder it the other way. Either way, I always solder them the same way with the label to the front. I like to work methodical and I like if it shows.

"And," as Monty Python would say: "now for something completely different"

I saw a review of a roundup of cartridges below $500 on Youtube by 'thrift shop'. I didn't have much confidence in the review going by that name. But I thought I'd give it a try. Stay open minded. 10 cartridges among which several AT mm and mc, 740ML, 95e, OC9 BE etc. Hana SL, Shure M97 (nostalgia?) and some more. But a nice roundup. The disclaimed already had me worried. "I tested on my system that I use for reviews". Not very hifi, not very resolving and not a very good DD turntable with the usual average tonearm with removable headshell. Ugh. How are you reviewing anything fairly with that? How are you going to judge a €500 cartridge with a sub-par arm? (not even mentioning the wannabe 'table).

The runt of the litter was the Shure, (my first guess) because it was bought used and not functioning properly (duh, then why include it?). And then the disclaimer that he 'didn't like Audio Technica' . Dude, if you want to review stuff leave your bias at the door!
Then came number 9: the AT 95e. Also my first guess. 'he really wanted it to win because he used it for years, but there are far better cartridges out there'. What? Say what you like but it's been in production for 40y+ for good reason. It's very capable, it is sold as standard even on very expensive tables for a reason. I have a couple of them in several guises and it's really good on a proper arm. It has no sibilance. That's your arm doing that.
Then number 8: the Audio Technica 740ML with the full gold colored alu body and the microline stylus. OMG. Did you even align it properly? That is a superb MM. I switched of. My brain and the video. Tss. That's what I call fake news. Misinformation.

That's exactly what I was expecting from a thrift shop. They sell loads of old stuff without knowing what it's worth or really appreciating it. To make a proper review of vinyl playing equipment you really need to let go of the past (folklore and nostalgia) yet still have proper knowledge of the subject matter. There are really not that many people who want to do it and are capable. That's really unfortunate that there aren't more, other than Mike Fremer and some writers.

Feb 11, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #892 of 2,710
Thanks guys. I think I’ll stick with cap labeling arrangement suggestion above, just to make sure.
Hard to say how long these new caps will need for ‘proper burn-in’? But, I don’t usually preoccupy myself with details I have little control over.

YouTube-audiophile content is %80 entertainment/trash. Valuable content is hard to find.
I’m open minded like yourself but there are few that I take seriously as far as “reviews” go.
The worst offenders are those pretentious shills who monetize trash coming out of their mouth.
You know how they are….
They are the once who sell their review samples/loaners on eBay or other audio related sites (or worst, their patrons).
I also never understood reviewers who refuse to expose bad components that come their way.

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #893 of 2,710
With foil caps overnight should be more than enough if at all ?
Some of the high end Teflon caps are reported to need hundreds of hours (matching their $hundreds cost?) to sound their best although they should sound pretty good straight up anyway,
Although there are some cynics who say excessive “burn in” claims for components is mainly to negate any quick A/B testing, how many reviewers are going to take the time to “run in” every component for more than a few hours ?

Feb 11, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #894 of 2,710
Indeed, most are 'influencers'. Puppets with lots of makeup that are payed directly by large companies to act like they are just like you and just 'found' this 'great product'. And since there is mo ey involved they soon lose their normal human decency and honesty. We are brainwashed into thinking that 'marketing' is ok because you need to 'pay the rent' and that in order to do that bending the truth a little is just OK. But bending is a declining slope where in the end everything becomes fake, untrue, plastic, thin veneer to outright deception and lies. And they are not just not ashamed of it but outright proud of how good a salesman they are. How successful and happy.

I had the same conversation recently with our apprentice I fortunately don't need to work with anymore about pricing and wording of products. It's hard to convey and I don't have fine tuned English skills for it to come up with an example, but in Dutch we have old-fashioned words that nobody uses anymore in normal speech but are only used in marketing, ads, billboards etc. It might look stylish and royal (used by nobility) but it's a dead giveaway that you're trying to con you. Our king (yes we have one) also uses regular toiletpaper from the supermarket to wipe his royal backside.

'This language is better marketing wise because it exudes style and craftsmanship'. Yes, and that you want to leech off my value and trustworthyness to sell something they don't want or need. If it exudes anything it is insincerity.
Another thing was pricing. If you make an honest price you calculate the price, make a decent profit and round it off. Like a 1000, or 1400.Nooo. Mr Knowlittle knows about marketing (probably that's why he was let go) do it must be 999.95 or 1399 'so psychologically it doesn't seem as much' . How stupid do you think our costumers are? You want to come across as trustworthy, use natural products, produce environmental friendly resources and use crooked marketing lies. It's an insult to their intelligence. If you want repeat costumers you need to build trust. Trust is based on truth.

Here's one word that is constantly used in Dutch advertising. Essential oils. It is translated quite literally as essentiële oliën, giving the idea that they are essential for your wellbeing (we are completely engulfed by American cultural colonialism and language). But essential as adjective for oil means it evaporates and thus gives off a scent. Otherwise we would call it grease or fat. Somehow that doesn't sell as well :wink:
Oh, another one: hydrating gel. Or hydrating shampoo. Why not just call it what it is? Wet. Simple water. But that doesn't sound rich enough. When in fact what they mean is: wash off your natural skin oil with our mineral oil side product and apply more refined mineral oil (or palm oil) to your skin. Natural hydration is getting wet when it rains.
And there are lots of these marketing phrases in audio too. Often audiophiles are blamed for believing any ploy. As if they are gullible or stupid. Which is not the same as being open minded or in search of truth.

I know, the truth can be uncomfortable, but when you are honest it doesn't. People nowadays have lots of cognitive dissonance and any reminder of the truth is irritating. Because it revives their sleeping conscience and common sense. Whereas when you are open and honest you only have to remember one version and not forcefully reconcile conflicting narratives. Be open, honest, loving, giving. It's refreshing.

Finally, I do understand when a reviewer receives a product that is faulty or bad you don't want to give it a bad review. Two reasons: you might be testing it under the wrong conditions and make yourself look bad. Or, you make the brand or the shop look bad and maybe he won't send you any more samples. When something is ok or good everybody wins, but when it's not do you really want to point fingers? It just stirs up lots of time consuming negative attention. Some things are just better left unsaid. Like what that 'thrift shop' reviewer said.

Here's some wisdom an old soul shared with me. "when you lie you aim to deceive, but when you hold back the truth you do it to protect the ones you love"

Feb 11, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #895 of 2,710
They’re taking pre-orders now if interested (nr limited):
5E548DB1-9AE7-49B9-A6BD-2D985E41A928.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #896 of 2,710
With foil caps overnight should be more than enough if at all ?
Some of the high end Teflon caps are reported to need hundreds of hours (matching their $hundreds cost?) to sound their best although they should sound pretty good straight up anyway,
Although there are some cynics who say excessive “burn in” claims for components is mainly to negate any quick A/B testing, how many reviewers are going to take the time to “run in” every component for more than a few hours ?
When someone tells me that component (caps in this case) really start to open up after 3-6months, it makes you question your own ability for critical listening.
My own auditory memory is short lived and flawed by perceptions as well as personal biases.
Those who are able to remember what capacitor sounded like 3-6 months before it was “broken-in” deserve some sort of an award. :wink:

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #897 of 2,710
Indeed, most are 'influencers'. Puppets with lots of makeup that are payed directly by large companies to act like they are just like you and just 'found' this 'great product'. And since there is mo ey involved they soon lose their normal human decency and honesty. We are brainwashed into thinking that 'marketing' is ok because you need to 'pay the rent' and that in order to do that bending the truth a little is just OK. But bending is a declining slope where in the end everything becomes fake, untrue, plastic, thin veneer to outright deception and lies. And they are not just not ashamed of it but outright proud of how good a salesman they are. How successful and happy.

I had the same conversation recently with our apprentice I fortunately don't need to work with anymore about pricing and wording of products. It's hard to convey and I don't have fine tuned English skills for it to come up with an example, but in Dutch we have old-fashioned words that nobody uses anymore in normal speech but are only used in marketing, ads, billboards etc. It might look stylish and royal (used by nobility) but it's a dead giveaway that you're trying to con you. Our king (yes we have one) also uses regular toiletpaper from the supermarket to wipe his royal backside.

'This language is better marketing wise because it exudes style and craftsmanship'. Yes, and that you want to leech off my value and trustworthyness to sell something they don't want or need. If it exudes anything it is insincerity.
Another thing was pricing. If you make an honest price you calculate the price, make a decent profit and round it off. Like a 1000, or 1400.Nooo. Mr Knowlittle knows about marketing (probably that's why he was let go) do it must be 999.95 or 1399 'so psychologically it doesn't seem as much' . How stupid do you think our costumers are? You want to come across as trustworthy, use natural products, produce environmental friendly resources and use crooked marketing lies. It's an insult to their intelligence. If you want repeat costumers you need to build trust. Trust is based on truth.

Here's one word that is constantly used in Dutch advertising. Essential oils. It is translated quite literally as essentiële oliën, giving the idea that they are essential for your wellbeing (we are completely engulfed by American cultural colonialism and language). But essential as adjective for oil means it evaporates and thus gives off a scent. Otherwise we would call it grease or fat. Somehow that doesn't sell as well :wink:
Oh, another one: hydrating gel. Or hydrating shampoo. Why not just call it what it is? Wet. Simple water. But that doesn't sound rich enough. When in fact what they mean is: wash off your natural skin oil with our mineral oil side product and apply more refined mineral oil (or palm oil) to your skin. Natural hydration is getting wet when it rains.
And there are lots of these marketing phrases in audio too. Often audiophiles are blamed for believing any ploy. As if they are gullible or stupid. Which is not the same as being open minded or in search of truth.

I know, the truth can be uncomfortable, but when you are honest it doesn't. People nowadays have lots of cognitive dissonance and any reminder of the truth is irritating. Because it revives their sleeping conscience and common sense. Whereas when you are open and honest you only have to remember one version and not forcefully reconcile conflicting narratives. Be open, honest, loving, giving. It's refreshing.

Finally, I do understand when a reviewer receives a product that is faulty or bad you don't want to give it a bad review. Two reasons: you might be testing it under the wrong conditions and make yourself look bad. Or, you make the brand or the shop look bad and maybe he won't send you any more samples. When something is ok or good everybody wins, but when it's not do you really want to point fingers? It just stirs up lots of time consuming negative attention. Some things are just better left unsaid. Like what that 'thrift shop' reviewer said.

Here's some wisdom an old soul shared with me. "when you lie you aim to deceive, but when you hold back the truth you do it to protect the ones you love"
Agree with you on a lot of points that you have made regarding “snake oil” advertisement and reviewer’s “integrity”. Couldn’t say it better myself.

But I would still argue that unfavorable reviews, as ugly as they might be are cruel necessity.
I’ll give you a simple example.
I was offered to participate in review circle for company that I won’t mention. My participation depended on three questions I had to ask.
1. Do I have absolute editorial freedom regardless of the outcome?
2. Will I get kicked out of the program or stop receiving requested review samples due to negative review(s) ?
3. And what do you want me to do with all that crop once I’m done.
….. and no timelines.

It’s that simple.
But….., I am not doing it for the money or some sort of ego booster.
I just feel that reviews, both positive or negative offer extreme value to consumer and much needed honest feedback to the manufacturer.
And I would also point out that, if manufacturer knowingly and arrogantly is willing to submit crappy or faulty product for a review then consequently he or she must be prepared to deal with justified critique and negative feedback from the reviewer. BTW I hate that word “reviewer”.
As to potential consequences you mentioned. If particular shop or manufacturer can’t deal with a bit of heat then stay out of my kitchen.
Pretty simple.
Probably why I don’t participate in any of those equipment tours on here. (Which in most cases, requires you to be “nice”)

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #898 of 2,710
Some of the latest arrivals:
9186786B-3A1A-4E87-99A2-D1F947152FC3.jpeg

Feb 11, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #899 of 2,710
When someone tells me that component (caps in this case) really start to open up after 3-6months, it makes you question your own ability for critical listening.
My own auditory memory is short lived and flawed by perceptions as well as personal biases.
Those who are able to remember what capacitor sounded like 3-6 months before it was “broken-in” deserve some sort of an award. :wink:
Probably valid from a trusted manufacturer, when research and testing in the design phase gets down to the effect of an individual component the “burn in” effect could be noticed between a well used and tested product vs one freshly assembled “production” item, if they then become “identical” after xx hours of use it can rule out any production issues.
Anything other than honesty in describing a product will hopefully reap its just rewards,
“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive” Sir Walter Scott .

Feb 11, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #900 of 2,710
Sorry for my rambling earlier. As you can guess I'm still healing. Sharing helps. Anyway. I have time to dig now. I found the golden crate.

Look, I said I had it, didn't I? The others are in my rack.
IMG_20220212_005826.jpg

Jethro Tull, King Crimson , Deep Purple, The Who, Xtc, quite a good crate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back