Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Dec 27, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #2,416 of 2,710
Maybe a strange first choice out of my newest stack. But I chose Within Temptation, the 2018 album 'Resist' on double 180g black vinyl. I just felt like it.

1200x1200-1.jpg

I'm not that chauvinistic but Within Temptation is the best Gothic or Melodic Metal band in the world. I don't think there's much dispute that we can make good music in the Netherlands. Besides design, architecture, fashion, painting, sailing speedskating, there are quite a few things we are proud of being (among) the best. (did I mention techno and the manufacture of the accompanied pills?).

I thought some downer pills were involved at first. It sounded a bit slow and who was that singing with that low voice? Errr. Yes, it's a 45rpm. Duh. So... That was goof number one. I listened the first lp and while it sounded good there was something strange with it. Spatial definition was off. It sounded weird.

I had been experimenting with my woofers to get a bit more power in the mid bass. I made my speakers as mini monitors, with as fast a response as possible. So to avoid all kinds of trouble I chose to not try to get bass from a 3" woofer. So it comes in at about 90Hz. I tried letting my woofers play all the way up till 135Hz. While that did give a bit more grunt to male voices, it sounded weird. A doubling of woofers with different distances to the listening posittion is bad. After reducing the x-over frequency to 80Hz, bass was defined and tight again.

Now Within Temptation sounded quite right and tight! This is the big sound with lots of space and definition. Drums are fast and heavy. The voice of Sharon den Adel is clear, centered and powerful. There is a lot going on in this genre and too much to go into, but even though it's not like an oldfashioned analog live recording, it's a good modern digital recording where every instrument has its space and place. It's a lot of noise but not a wall of sound. No grunting btw. It's music with tone and melody. I think it's quite accessible and the kind of music for big concerts.

It's clear the vinyl edition was made with love. Beautiful atmospheric artwork (is that Starlord?), dark but clean in a thick gatefold with printed thick paper inner sleeves. Did I ever mention high dpi? No coarse rastering here. Photo quality.

Pressing is well done. Thick and flat. Very quiet vinyl. Really great quality throughout every aspect of this production. Labels with clear A B C D indication. Thank you!

Music 8
Sound: 9
Pressing: 10
Sleeve and artwork: 9

Dec 27, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #2,417 of 2,710
So you turned the 'little fwend' into a tall boy. :) No, it's not the kind P!nk sings about. :p Dirty mind...

I can see why they call it boxing day. Nice.
Did not have a lot of flexibility mounting that booger. Love it thought. A bit of a peace of mind. Pretty sure it was my daughter who got that for me (among few other cool vinyl items). Wifey got me that MoFi Triller for some reason. Which is fine. But she failed to make that hummingbird LP cleaner work. Currency exchange confusion freaked her out a little. So I am going to ordered it myself, with her money ofcause. Lol

As to MJ Triller…. If you’re curious about what I think about it, well.
InGroove is WAY overhyping this release. It’s not even funny.
Does it sound good? I think it does but….
And it’s a HUGE but.
It reminds me of a DJ I once knew and his home system.
Boosted heights and bass. A silly smiley face tuning that might be great for the club zombies but absolutely locking character, feel, intent, originality.
To be honest, I didn’t spent a lot of time with it bc I got tired of it after first two or three songs. Not impressed. Not at all.
Packaging is weird too. Crap just falls out of it …. Just weird. I’ll post few pics later.

Dec 27, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #2,418 of 2,710
Maybe a strange first choice out of my newest stack. But I chose Within Temptation, the 2018 album 'Resist' on double 180g black vinyl. I just felt like it.

1200x1200-1.jpg

I'm not that chauvinistic but Within Temptation is the best Gothic or Melodic Metal band in the world. I don't think there's much dispute that we can make good music in the Netherlands. Besides design, architecture, fashion, painting, sailing speedskating, there are quite a few things we are proud of being (among) the best. (did I mention techno and the manufacture of the accompanied pills?).

I thought some downer pills were involved at first. It sounded a bit slow and who was that singing with that low voice? Errr. Yes, it's a 45rpm. Duh. So... That was goof number one. I listened the first lp and while it sounded good there was something strange with it. Spatial definition was off. It sounded weird.

I had been experimenting with my woofers to get a bit more power in the mid bass. I made my speakers as mini monitors, with as fast a response as possible. So to avoid all kinds of trouble I chose to not try to get bass from a 3" woofer. So it comes in at about 90Hz. I tried letting my woofers play all the way up till 135Hz. While that did give a bit more grunt to male voices, it sounded weird. A doubling of woofers with different distances to the listening posittion is bad. After reducing the x-over frequency to 80Hz, bass was defined and tight again.

Now Within Temptation sounded quite right and tight! This is the big sound with lots of space and definition. Drums are fast and heavy. The voice of Sharon den Adel is clear, centered and powerful. There is a lot going on in this genre and too much to go into, but even though it's not like an oldfashioned analog live recording, it's a good modern digital recording where every instrument has its space and place. It's a lot of noise but not a wall of sound. No grunting btw. It's music with tone and melody. I think it's quite accessible and the kind of music for big concerts.

It's clear the vinyl edition was made with love. Beautiful atmospheric artwork (is that Starlord?), dark but clean in a thick gatefold with printed thick paper inner sleeves. Did I ever mention high dpi? No coarse rastering here. Photo quality.

Pressing is well done. Thick and flat. Very quiet vinyl. Really great quality throughout every aspect of this production. Labels with clear A B C D indication. Thank you!

Music 8
Sound: 9
Pressing: 10
Sleeve and artwork: 9
Will check it out. But my Metal days are long gone.

Dec 27, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #2,419 of 2,710
I want all digital cult guys to watch this video.
His name is Jay, a very established audiophile/dealer/ YouTube-er. His system includes the most expensive speakers, amps, DACs, cables money can buy. He has heard it ALL.
Watch his reaction to his newly installed state of the art turntable and comparisons to his best that money can buy digital. Priceless!!

Perhaps that explains why I spent so little time ‘enjoying’ my not so cheap digital front end.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #2,420 of 2,710
Dang, I missed that one. Muscleman Jay has just too expensive stuff for me it's discouraging.

I am thinking about that streamer though. I saw the small Hifi Rose for just over 2/3 of the retail price, demo. That's within my budget... 🤔

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #2,421 of 2,710
Dang, I missed that one. Muscleman Jay has just too expensive stuff for me it's discouraging.

I am thinking about that streamer though. I saw the small Hifi Rose for just over 2/3 of the retail price, demo. That's within my budget... 🤔
Definitely another league in price/performance. I just like the fact that he’s got open mind and isn’t afraid to challenge his biases.
I’m sure that his new vinyl venture will make him a happier audiophile.

I don’t really fallow digital newest innovations in audio so …. Not much help on that topic.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #2,422 of 2,710
Definitely another league in price/performance. I just like the fact that he’s got open mind and isn’t afraid to challenge his biases.
I’m sure that his new vinyl venture will make him a happier audiophile.

I don’t really fallow digital newest innovations in audio so …. Not much help on that topic.
Wow, it's a really long video. I'm about halfway. And even as a recording in a listening room over YouTube compression, I can tell it sounds really good. The turntable does remind me of the Star Trek movie where lt Word gets acne because of the rejuvenating radiation of the planet they are saving. Looking at his forehead No1 says: "You Klingons don't ever do anything small, do you?" :)
Indeed, I was attracted by his openness. And he wasn't ashamed to admit he doesn't even know how to put on a record. That made me watch another video of him that was just posted (that was considerably shorter) about him being fed up doing the same thing over and over again. That was about speakers: over the last few years he had 16 pair of Magico, Wilson and Focal. He said it's like going to the same restaurant ordering a burger only trying difference is different trimmings every time. I think he is correct; they are all basically the same basic speaker with a dome tweeter and big woofers in expensive enclosures.

He is starting to realise, without really fully knowing it, he needs to think 'out of the box'. Literally. And figuratively. Keep an open mind and a wide horizon.

Same for me, I invested in vinyl but with the right source material digital sounds good too. I would like a grown up streamer and Hifi Rose has the added benefit of not needing a TV on, it can do Video for big screen and stream YouTube music without ads (app called RoseTube). My concern is that it's still an evolving medium even though this is showing signs of a mature system. With this discount it knocks off the first big year write-off (more value for money where it's not holding its value like other components).

The other road I am contemplating is a powerful, real high quality amp that can drive magnetostats like the LRS+. I have always wanted to try planar speakers as I just love the effortless and open sound. They would combine well with the subwoofers of my Genesis speakers (also bipole/dipole and fast). As I went down the tube amp road that was a fork in the road that made the switch sort of impossible.
And since I found other amplification systems that also sound good, I am less fearfull to let go of my 300B. My current amp is actually 'just' a 40W transistor amp with the distinction that it uses the translinear current mode. But it's the best amplifier I ever had. Just not sure if it's enough for the LRS, probably not.
That's why I am looking into digital amps like Nuprime or the new GaN technique. Or a good traditional AB with more A than B (ie, high bias) like the Kinki Studio Ex-M1+ or Denafrips.

There is one shop that's actually not that far away on the same highway I can see from here that has both Hifi Rose, as well as Magnepan and Nuprime AMG. So I might organisme a visit.

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #2,423 of 2,710
Are you thinking of buying LRS?
40wpc won’t cut it. I don’t think…
My only thought on digital source is this, it’s evolving tech that will get better and cheaper in no time.
If you gotta have it now, I get it. But at least look into platform with some sort of an upgradability path and options.

I watch Jay’s vids occasionally. Usually vids that don’t talk about gear he owns as I am not interested in obstruct.

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #2,424 of 2,710
You guys know how I feel about giving business to MoFi but these could be worth getting. Not easy to get clean or OGs. And rarely back in print. Do what you want but I thought it might interest some ppl knowing that these are back in print.
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
Miles Davis - A Tribute to Jack Johnson

Dec 28, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #2,425 of 2,710
I sure want to give the LRS a listen. I've always been fascinated by panel speakers but the electrostatic types wear over time and need big amps. I remember my last big show where there were several big speakers being played like Raidho, KEF Blades etc. All so loud I was getting tired of the blaring in big rooms with lots of people. Then me and my mate stepped into a small sideroom that was like a fish tank... terrible acoustics, no windows but all glass walks like a modern small meeting room. There were a couple of new brand electrostatics playing and it sounded so wonderfully tight and relaxing. It was like slipping into a warm bath like an oasis in the chaos.

Btw: the LRS is double the price over here in Europe and the LRS+ is not listed yet. The listprice for the LRS is €1450 but now there are many available for a €1000. That makes it interesting. However... I saw a refurbished (ie new foils) Final 600i for €1200. That's a Dutch brand, and quite a looker in comparison. But those prices make it accessible. Just add 40kg for an amp. :xf_cool: No, the Nuprime AMG STA is capable, lightweight and not all that expensive.

I just had a friend over to finish up my finances for this year and I did well. Next year I will be getting in much calmer water so I can finally save money without penalty (rent will be subsidized cutting almost in half). Big relief. I'm already there but to make sure I'll drop under the max threshold I can spend on that Rose streamer. If I hadn't bought the Gold Note PH10 I would have not been eligible for the subsidie. I'm forced to use up my saved money which is kind of weird and that's why try to buy things of lasting value. At least I can still spend it how I like. Not like when CBDC's will control your every move.

What I heard the Hifi Rose firmware is frequently updated and strong on its software. I can play audio, video, radio, files from external HD, put in an internal HD, rip from USB CD drive, control via Android app. It's very versatile. Most important; I can play music unattended so I keep my hands free. Do I don't wear my expensive diamond and don't have to rush to lift the stylus at the end of the record.

But vinyl will be the most important. Horses for courses.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #2,426 of 2,710
I sure want to give the LRS a listen. I've always been fascinated by panel speakers but the electrostatic types wear over time and need big amps. I remember my last big show where there were several big speakers being played like Raidho, KEF Blades etc. All so loud I was getting tired of the blaring in big rooms with lots of people. Then me and my mate stepped into a small sideroom that was like a fish tank... terrible acoustics, no windows but all glass walks like a modern small meeting room. There were a couple of new brand electrostatics playing and it sounded so wonderfully tight and relaxing. It was like slipping into a warm bath like an oasis in the chaos.

Btw: the LRS is double the price over here in Europe and the LRS+ is not listed yet. The listprice for the LRS is €1450 but now there are many available for a €1000. That makes it interesting. However... I saw a refurbished (ie new foils) Final 600i for €1200. That's a Dutch brand, and quite a looker in comparison. But those prices make it accessible. Just add 40kg for an amp. :xf_cool: No, the Nuprime AMG STA is capable, lightweight and not all that expensive.

I just had a friend over to finish up my finances for this year and I did well. Next year I will be getting in much calmer water so I can finally save money without penalty (rent will be subsidized cutting almost in half). Big relief. I'm already there but to make sure I'll drop under the max threshold I can spend on that Rose streamer. If I hadn't bought the Gold Note PH10 I would have not been eligible for the subsidie. I'm forced to use up my saved money which is kind of weird and that's why try to buy things of lasting value. At least I can still spend it how I like. Not like when CBDC's will control your every move.

What I heard the Hifi Rose firmware is frequently updated and strong on its software. I can play audio, video, radio, files from external HD, put in an internal HD, rip from USB CD drive, control via Android app. It's very versatile. Most important; I can play music unattended so I keep my hands free. Do I don't wear my expensive diamond and don't have to rush to lift the stylus at the end of the record.

But vinyl will be the most important. Horses for courses.
LRS could be an interesting venture for you. Especially if you don’t have great hands on experience with electrostats.
It’s quite different listening experience.
I’ve heard great things about LRS/+ and I would assume that they are at least as good if not better than my old Martin Logan Aerius i spks (that collect dust atm).
I think bottom end of LRS is certainly an aspect that might need to be addressed at some point. If you decide to go that route.

As to Rose streamer… Well, if support is there and you like the product then why not. I can control my PS Audio streamer with my phone or tablet so I get the convenience factor. But as far as sound quality goes, nope, it just can’t compete with vinyl. It simply doesn’t connect you with music the way vinyl does. But, it’s awesome for background music and non critical/serious listening. There are millions of titles at fingertips so there’s that.
With that being said, I don’t remember the last time I’ve listened to my streamer… It has been months.

And the tonearm raisers do work so, your valid stylus damage concern can be easily solved for not a lot of money.
I do love that little AT tonearm lifter.
Probably gonna get another one for my Rega as well.

Dec 29, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #2,427 of 2,710
😉👍

Dec 29, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #2,428 of 2,710
Lol. I've been watching that 'review'... But they're such a bunch of old guys yappin'. I just made a phonecall about the Hifi Rose 250. I also saw a used RS150 only 20km away for 3400 instead of new 4600 but it's not from a reputable shop. I know the street where he is at, but I don't see a shop front on Google street view (one of those short-lived temporary shops that's not him) and his ad only has a first name, no shop. The reviews are just stars and he has lots of Hifi but also running shoes. Even though the RS150 is badass its stretching my budget and I get a bad vibe. 1500 or 3400 is a big difference for a bigger screen and better DAC I won't use.

Edit: Ugh, just missed it... I'm getting a completely new unit. Still a good deal at 1750. Better than the new updated model RS250A at €2600. Ok, I can get it in black but I don't see much benefit in going from ESS 9038-Q2m to 9028pro with discrete opamps. Especially since I won't be using that part. I think it will work better with my HD than Qobuz (what I've heard).

Here's the thread on it (to keep it in house :) )
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifi-rose-rs250-network-streamer.960466/
I think, or hope, it's more than just a toy. Better than a computer anyway.

I'm again waiting for the mailman for my albums for the umpteenth time. I made a colored theme this time: all very yellow covers. Confession I broke my own rules; no late night shopping... I overlooked the Fils-Aimé is not new. It had a big discount though and it says 'acceptable, large cosmetic damage to cover'. I have no idea what that means irl. I'll see when I get it. Maybe it's just a crease

IMG_20221229_160703.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #2,429 of 2,710
Lol. I've been watching that 'review'... But they're such a bunch of old guys yappin'. I just made a phonecall about the Hifi Rose 250. I also saw a used RS150 only 20km away for 3400 instead of new 4600 but it's not from a reputable shop. I know the street where he is at, but I don't see a shop front on Google street view (one of those short-lived temporary shops that's not him) and his ad only has a first name, no shop. The reviews are just stars and he has lots of Hifi but also running shoes. Even though the RS150 is badass its stretching my budget and I get a bad vibe. 1500 or 3400 is a big difference for a bigger screen and better DAC I won't use.

Edit: Ugh, just missed it... I'm getting a completely new unit. Still a good deal at 1750. Better than the new updated model RS250A at €2600. Ok, I can get it in black but I don't see much benefit in going from ESS 9038-Q2m to 9028pro with discrete opamps. Especially since I won't be using that part. I think it will work better with my HD than Qobuz (what I've heard).

Here's the thread on it (to keep it in house :) )
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifi-rose-rs250-network-streamer.960466/
I think, or hope, it's more than just a toy. Better than a computer anyway.

I'm again waiting for the mailman for my albums for the umpteenth time. I made a colored theme this time: all very yellow covers.
Those guys from Audio Excellence are sort of biased towards product line they carry in their own store but occasionally some honesty slips out.
LRS+ seems like a very interesting speaker with extreme potentials.
Do you have a way to audition these speakers where you live?
I think that would be an extremely important experience before pulling the trigger.
Placement flexibility, room size, power requirements and bass extension are the questions that I would be interested getting the answer to.
I feel that finding a good powerful amp shouldn’t be a problem.
Something like Schiit monos, Emotiva XPA DR2 or one of my fav hybrids Butler Audio TDB 2250 (used market) would be plentiful.
Seems like you’re already settled on new digital toy. Lol
When you get it, share how you like it.
And don’t buy from shady characters. Ever.

Dec 29, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #2,430 of 2,710
Well, yes. I feel it's a bit a a waste of Qobuz one year conscription to muddle along and not use it to its full extent. Also: it has a real analog input, not like the new model RA520 with the GaN amp. So I could use it as a preamp. Not helping much but w/e. Connections between components are such a hassle. I keep tethering components for purposes that I can't do without.

It's not an either or situation, more like a if, then. I can go listen to the LRS but I need a friend to drive me. And I can't organisme it that fast without being pushy. And I suspect I need a bigger amp to go with it than the 70W @4 ohms I have now.

Indeed, shady characters are a no no. But the problem is recognising them and not be 'prejudiced'. That's another one of those wrong new ' politically correct' interpretations of a word that means something else entirely, and is necessary. My interest here is not treating someone fairly but protecting myself and my interests. Proper prejudice is judging beforehand if someone is trustworthy. Judge of character. If you just trust anyone because it's pc, you're a naive fool. It's a tool you need to sharpen by experience.
And I had alarms going off. If it looks to good to be true... If this is such a hot item, why is he selling it? (it's not broken is it?) Why the strange price? Why no shop info? Why is it next to a massage parlor on the corner of a notorious red light district? (not a good indicator) even though it's a shopping street next to two other electronics shops. But most of all, don't take a risk if it takes all the money you have. All those factors indicated a risk, not just an opportunity.

Aaand... another day of waiting in vain for my package. :frowning2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back