Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Oct 27, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #2,071 of 2,710
Genesis is always great. Especially the albums up to 'We can't dance'. :xf_cool: And they sound good too.

As to the TV off; I think it is a psychological effect. I can't detect any sound coming from it, unlike the old humpback tv's that always gave a high pitched whine. I'm too old to hear that now. I think. I know my cables and phono are well shielded. The Gold Note is very quiet.
And indeed, a TV is basically an android computer with a big oled screen. But it's not electrically connected to my stereo. It's on a different socket and the audio goes by optical toslink.

And I just got my Pixies 🧚‍♂️ Trompe le Monde. That's the last one with Kim Deal, which is a BIG deal. Unlike I said, it's a single LP in 30th anniversary edition.
IMG_20221027_194215.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #2,072 of 2,710
Just arrived
1D4D9AF4-425C-4990-8CE2-194DB43F48CF.gif

Looks beautiful.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #2,073 of 2,710
Pop-up books amaze children and it never gets old :xf_cool:

Oct 27, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #2,074 of 2,710
Stop poking at my pop-up books and get on the book behind it. 😎

Oct 27, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #2,075 of 2,710
I played Trompe le monde just now. I didn't notice any digititis. Simply a great pressing and regular sleeve. Well done. Pressing is excellent. The music makes it hard to access sound quality as it sounds like early grunge. Very loud and a wall of sound. I can hear everything in its place and it does have width and depth. At the end it eases off a bit and it's easier to hear that it is a good sounding album. The album needs a few listens to get familiar and bloom.

I really like the green splatter vinyl. The sleeve is simple and sharp inner sleeve with lycs in full color just thick paper.

Music 8
Sound 9
Pressing 9
Artwork 8

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #2,076 of 2,710
Genesis is always great. Especially the albums up to 'We can't dance'. :xf_cool: And they sound good too.

As to the TV off; I think it is a psychological effect. I can't detect any sound coming from it, unlike the old humpback tv's that always gave a high pitched whine. I'm too old to hear that now. I think. I know my cables and phono are well shielded. The Gold Note is very quiet.
And indeed, a TV is basically an android computer with a big oled screen. But it's not electrically connected to my stereo. It's on a different socket and the audio goes by optical toslink.

And I just got my Pixies 🧚‍♂️ Trompe le Monde. That's the last one with Kim Deal, which is a BIG deal. Unlike I said, it's a single LP in 30th anniversary edition.
IMG_20221027_194215.jpg
RF can do some really weird stuff ..
Ever seen the trick with the car remote central locking ?
Keep walking away until you get beyond its range, press the button a couple of times to make sure,
Then take another few steps away and hold the transmitter end under your chin and try again…. 😳 …. Lol
Want more “believe it or not” ?
This one needs an assistant …. Hold thumb and finger like this … 👌 and have your assistant try to pull the finger and thumb apart while you resist, should be quite difficult, then pick up a C cell battery in the other hand and try again …. 🙀

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #2,077 of 2,710
I don’t know why is it but on some days, my stereo just sounds better.
Could this be related to the mood a person is at that moment? I don’t know. Could the electricity coming into the house be the culprit of this phenomenon? Maybe.
Interestingly, this phenomenon doesn’t apply when I listen a music on my headphone rig.

I don’t know if you guys watched Chad, Bernie and Ryan on 45RPM channel, discussion about analog vs digital/DSD for mastering (among other topics)?
And if you did, perhaps you can recall Bernie mentioning recording engineer or label/studio owner frustrated with inconsistency of the sound quality on any given day. And they couldn’t explain it. Bernie also had similar experience when cutting lacquers. Everything calibrated exactly the same but different results.

Found that clip (clipped to less then a min long):
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxhQl5-a2FKOtsyTN0oKSmrTfDeHxvJSw4

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #2,078 of 2,710
New: Jazzy, electronic, ambient music from Gondwana Records (Sunda Arc).

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #2,079 of 2,710
I know the mind can do weird stuff, to say it in layman's words. Our brain is a very complex organ that doesn't work like a computer. That makes it elusive to investigate in a scientific manner. Because you can have an hypothesis, try to make an isolated test environment for a repeatable outcome, and never get the same result. Because it's the doorway (some say the seat) of conscience. If you think all we are is atoms, good luck explaining morals, conscience, intuition, life. Not to mention supernatural experiences that appear to be the same with all peoples all over the world.

That also makes it difficult to discern, is it me that hears the music different or does it sound different? Science gives you no help. You need a more holistic approach. Take a step back and try to approach it with a different view, a wider horizon. That might mean you have to let go of your certainties, your solid ground, your insurance and sane dogmas.

I think that's where the snake oil hits the trofden path. Where the audio science review crowd is afraid to go because they might encounter facts they cannot explain in their indoctrinated college /university spoonfed worldview.

I just saw a video of David Icke, think of him what you like, explaining this expanded worldview in a sort of helpless way with frequencies in the EM spectrum. I know where he's going but he is trying to explain supradimensional universe with a materialistic metaphor. He also states that our universe is a simulation. That indicates intelligence that made it.

If you don't like (quantum) science you may skip to the last sentence :)
Writing, explaining difficult topics, helps me form my thoughts.

Science has always claimed they know everything there is to know while, when you look at its history full of contrary and ridiculous theories is has always been in flux. Take the theory of the 'eather'. It has been dismissed a century ago, yet we still talk about it when we think of radio. And we still say the sun rises. But don't discount 'the eather' yet. It will come back with a vengeance given the unexplainable cosmological contant that indicates an unimaginable amount of energy in absolute vacuum, the matrix of the dark. Nor does science have a real explanation of what light really is. Or that the speed of light is constant (it's not!).

In my first year I in science class they told me 'the speed of light is very high, 3x10^8 m/'s, and it's a constant. People used to think it was infinite but that was of course foolish' And to prove this there was a graph in our science book that showed all measurements of the speed of light since the Renaissance and the increase of precision over time. Only the graph showed a clearly visible *decline* in speed! From 3.001 to 2.99979. Of course I had to ask the teacher the unwanted unanswerable question "if it's fixed then why is the graph declining?" (the answer was a lie) You won't find that graph anymore because now "the science is settled" and c is fixed now and 1 meter is defined as the distance light travels in 1/c seconds. Circular reasoning anyone? Frequency and wavelength of laserlight from a krypton laser are defined as fixed. But is that so? If the matrix loses its tension over time so will the force exerted on krypton atoms causing a change in speed but not in measuring its frequency or wavelength because that is your yardstick and its made of rubber.

Ever heard of redshift? If you compensate redshift of distant galaxies for rotation the result is that the values are quantised. As in piano keys instead of a violin notes. That means it cannot be a Doppler effect. But it is an indication that the tension of the 'eather' or the matrix is diminishing over time in a step by step manner, causing lightspeed to reduce. This is also another indication that our universe is a simulation, because everything is quantised.

That also means that galaxies that are 15 billion light-years away are not 15 billion years old. Which would explain why they do not appear as baby galaxies but full grown, if that is how you think galaxies came to be. If you take a picture and it takes 15b years to reach us than that picture is 15b years old. But the picture shows something that is not young.

Science on its head. Or the emperors clothes. Trust your instinct. And your ears. So when you aren't satisfied, just let it rest. The next time you'll feel differently. Enjoy the wonder when it happens but don't think you can strap it down.
And no I'm not a flat earther by any means.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #2,080 of 2,710
I just got my David Sylvian lp. This time it's from Amazon UK and this time it came in a prepackaged (Amazon lp-) box inside a brown paper bag. Still perfectly fine. So YMMV per country.

Oct 28, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #2,081 of 2,710
That's a deep ribbit hole.
And you're probably going to offend some who are still trying to figure out the actual number of genders out there.
Before intergalactic explorations become cheap travel agancy brochures, I would love our dear science to focus on rather earthy explorations of ways to improve life on this planet.
Fixing abnormal perception of music reproduction, probably not high on that list.
Reprogramming bloody matrix for less self destructive human behavior, would be a good start.

Ana[dia]log video of AAD earlier version vs 2018 mix CD Pink Floyd Animals is up:

I can’t really relate or have any opinion on his take since I don’t even know where my Animals CD has been berried, and I certainly am not purchasing another mix on CD.
But he has made some interesting points and presented rather basic but useful sound analysis.
It would be nice if he could follow up with an actual vinyl comparison.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #2,082 of 2,710
I've seen it appear but not viewed it. I don't really care about CD as it's pretty obsolete by now. In my opinion. High res is simply better without any downside. And we still have the original vinyl. As the terminator ('pops') said: "Old... But not obsolete!"

Another one that really doesn't interest me is all the hype about 'Revolver'. It's wildly overrated. It's influential, or was, but as music goes its old-fashioned. And lyrics... They probably would have glued themselves to a painting or something. They started believing they were quite something without the maturity to prove it. And getting into some dark s#it (fans of Aleister Crowley). But hey, that's fashionable it seems.

What does fascinate me: David Sylvian - Sleepwalkers
IMG_20221029_013114.jpg

I'm listening to my newest purchase now. I'm very impressed. It's poetry on music. Not music in the traditional sense always. Sometimes very quiet with only a voice and intermittent various exotic instruments in the background. Jon Hassel on trumpet, Robert Fripp on guitar, Sakamoto on synthesizer, Stina Nordenstam vocals, very subly intertwined. Sometimes more conventional with guitar and drums. Always very zen. It is a compilation so the songs are varied. And not all hits but a good overview of awesome collaborations and reinterpretation that work well together.

Incredible sound.
The sound is excellent. There's a beautiful artificial Soundstage with black backgrounds ans subtly highlighted instruments clearly defined in space. If I had to guess its digital sourced but without the sirup on top. Sound is fast and clear, nice warmth, good detail. No hiss or anything distracting.

Pressing is perfect. Thick double 180 grams, quiet vinyl, tracks great. Only thing is a saw a star rub scratch on side 3... But I couldn't hear it at al. So only superficial thank God. No distraction from the music at all.

Artwork is beautiful. It's all in matt giving the same zen feeling. Beautiful photos of youthfull innocence in a sleepy atmosphere. To me the face on the cover has that same mystery as the Mona Lisa, it's disarming in its vulnerability.
Gatefold sleeve with full color paper inner sleeves and an art print extra. No poly liners.

Music 10
Sound 9½
Pressing 10
Artwork 10, packaging 9

I can make better pictures in daylight

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #2,083 of 2,710
I saw an announcement on new Audio Technica 60th anniversary commemorative products. A new AT 2022 MC cartridge with titanium, Alu, polymer body and grown full diamond cantilever.
And a tip of the line closed dynamic headphone, wooden cups painted in urushi lawyer and painted in Sakura dessin.
Both are very limited editions and priced at 10k and 9k.

So don't say AT cartridges are cheap (they're all great given their price).

Oct 29, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #2,084 of 2,710
There are only a several Beatles albums in my collection. Some older, some newer pressings. I am generally not aroused by Beatles which might seem odd or offensive to many hardcore Beatles fans.
But Revolver is probably my 2nd fav album, right behind Sgt. Pepper’s. Other then these two albums, I really don’t spin a lot of Beatles. $190 for Revolver box set is probably a great deal for their fans (no question about it) but I am perfectly fine with moving on to something else.
I think I have ordered a new remix a while back but canceled it recently.
Cheap $20 earlier version is enough for me. If that box set drops below $100 …….. maybe I’d bite.

And nice review. Checked Amaz and they’re asking about $30 for it and they have plenty of it. Maybe…..

I might post some impressions Sun and Mon. And I found that Midnight Blue. SMH

Oct 29, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #2,085 of 2,710
Oh yeah… I have heard about AT planing a release of new flagship headphones but wasn’t expecting that. And yes, they make good stuff. ADX5000 are still my fav reference HD. And my cheapish $250 AT turntable from Drop is a workhorse in my basement shop.
No issue with any AT products. Love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back