Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Oct 9, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #1,846 of 2,710
I can't think of anything that I haven't already shared.
He didn’t have Arcade Fire but will try to trade for it with other stores that might have extras.
He did have new Red Hot Chilly Peppers that supposed to be out on 14th.
28640495-E488-4098-8B6E-F1ED8A8B1FB7.jpeg

It’s weird how he gets some titles way before the release date and others are impossible to get.
I remember when George Michael’s ‘Older’ came out and I could have got that one weeks before official release date. Royal funeral had everything to do with that one and some of the other legendary British bands releases. In fact, his biggest challenge is getting US pressings. Perhaps it’s due to popularity? Who knows….
Anyway, I forgot half the things I was hunting for, since I left my phone charging at home. I did get some that I thought were somewhat interesting titles or albums I have heard about but they weren’t on my list.
814FCBCC-BFDF-48B1-B98E-60608E63D736.jpeg

13B0B14E-BD35-4382-A983-E10409473CA5.jpeg

I am not familiar with Calvin Keys but someone mentioned it somewhere and it’s somewhat hard to find so….. excited about that.
Ron Carter should be exceptional. At least I am saying it on a hunch. Recording studio, audio engineers behind it, musicians, gear used to record it and care taken when pressing would suggest a special musical and sonic experience.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #1,847 of 2,710
0FF48DE5-5E58-46FB-8C3B-72FDEB4AAA11.jpeg

I also got some extras. 🤫

Oct 9, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #1,848 of 2,710
Spinning some movie soundtracks tonight.

741B515F-BAAD-4A83-8FDB-413D47F7DD65.jpeg

2CC989D6-040F-4824-B57F-F9ED938E40C0.jpeg

It’s exactly what the title implies. Easy, happy listening. Good background music for early morning coffee. Quality is average. For both, pressing and sound quality. As a Morricone fan, it’s a must have. If sound quality was exceptional I would recommend it regardless if you’re a fan or not. But I can’t.
Wife’s fav Morricone piece:

And ofcause I gotta share my fav as well. Lol

Next, the Blade Runner.
Probably one of the best Sci-fi movies ever and a timeless classic.
A3650531-4C69-4C2D-A211-E37BE7F2E461.jpeg

Fantastic music score by Vangelis and mastered by no other than Kevin Gray. Together, it makes for beautifully emotional trip into unknown of the future and fragility of a man despite his robust armory.
Pressing quality and sound is on par - pretty good to excellent. Definitely worth my recommendation. Packaging is fine too.

Honorable mention goes to Jazz performance that will certainly not appeal to everyone. It’s experimental, improv with certain level of sophistication and depth.
I like it though.
Usual quality from Vinyl Me Please. All around great reissue.

4B17B063-06EE-4948-AE7C-7F3E1F2FE352.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #1,850 of 2,710
The Speaker’s Corner reissue of “The Shape of Jazz to Come” is absolutely world class!

Oct 10, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #1,851 of 2,710
The Speaker’s Corner reissue of “The Shape of Jazz to Come” is absolutely world class!
I believe VMP version is similar if not the same. They just put their own spin on packaging and press their records with a bit more care and fewer copies. SQ rivals BN tone poet series. And that’s as good as it gets in my book.

Oct 10, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #1,852 of 2,710
Another Vangelis title recently remastered,
Have the original 1983 version but only on CD …

There are quite a few amazing soundtracks being pressed at the moment. For some reasons they are priced quite high. It’s hard to pick one without knowing if SQ and mastering is worth the money.
I know that Bernie and Kevin did quite a bit of that type of work but mostly cutting lacquers. Mastering is usually done elsewhere.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #1,853 of 2,710
“Remastered by Vangelis” on the cover, digital version would be fine unless you “have” to have it on Vinyl ?
With the majority of recent releases it’s more down to the mastering than the format it’s released on, wonder how a CD or digital version would sound using the master for the Vinyl version ? ,
I’m happy with listening to either, but the whole Vinyl experience of cover art along with listening through the entire album will always be a preferable experience ….

Oct 10, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #1,854 of 2,710
“Remastered by Vangelis” on the cover, digital version would be fine unless you “have” to have it on Vinyl ?
With the majority of recent releases it’s more down to the mastering than the format it’s released on, wonder how a CD or digital version would sound using the master for the Vinyl version ? ,
I’m happy with listening to either, but the whole Vinyl experience of cover art along with listening through the entire album will always be a preferable experience ….
That’s the question really. Are these releases (I’m talking about movie soundtracks) mastered with the same attention and care that other releases are treated? We know that for example, T. Swift (or Adel) is %100 done in digital domain but, there’s enough effort given when putting it on vinyl. And it shows. Despite what the argument might be between analog vs digital OG source in vinyl community, those releases sound very competitive and customers do appreciate all that effort put into it.
I just don’t think that movie soundtracks are taken seriously enough to go that extra mile?
But the fact remains, these movie scores are usually very pricy in comparison to other releases. Perhaps their budget is split between CD, downloads, SACD, multichannel projects, I do not know? Perhaps vinyl is a waste of time and money when it comes to that kind of music? But I know that there are many who are actually very into that particular genre of music.

Oct 10, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #1,855 of 2,710
Soundtracks can be incredible. Not always, because they should serve the visuals.

I have a few recommendations
Dune - Toto
The hot spot - John Lee Hooker ea
American Beauty - Thomas Newman
Meet Joe Black - Thomas Newman
One from the Heart - Tom Waits & Crystal Gayle
Opera Savage - Vangelis
1492 - Vangelis
Alexander - Vangelis
Chariots of Fire - Vangelis
The last Emperor - Ryuichi Sakamoto
Koyanisqatsi - Philip Glass
Interstellar - Hans Zimmer
S na t ch - various artist

I've been a fan of Vangelis from before the Bladerunner soundtrack. Jon and Vangelis. Im not saying I have all his records but a lot. From Aphorodites child to some of his latest works, although I never bought them on CD. I lost track a bit at 'El Greco', after that I thought it was more of the same. Not as strong thematically as my favorite 'Soil festivities'.
Others I find particularly strong are:
Heaven and Hell
Albedo 0.39
Mask
Spiral
China

One that was incredibly hard to get was Antarctica. It was originally 'just' a soundtrack for a Japanese nature documentary. As such it was only obtainable as import CD. Lp was next to impossible to get. So I ordered it on CD. I remember it cost me NLG 70 (≈€33), which was almost double the price of a normal CD (NLG 40) that was double the price of an lp (NLG 20) then. That was a lot of money for me in 1986! But I m a fan and that was his ultimate recording then.

Another difficult one was indeed Bladerunner. I've seen that in the theater too. But it didn't come out as a Vangelis album. Only this one:

IMG_20221010_184319.jpg

It's just incredibly stupid it is only obtainable on lp now. Just inconceivable. There have been 3cd fan rip versions of it on the internet.

Oct 10, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #1,858 of 2,710
Just arrived from Amazon. Ordered Thursday, delivered Monday. But what baffles me... And is infuriating to me... It comes from the UK! No taxes! Not that I want to pay extra taxes, but when I buy from Amazon it just sails through, when I buy from an original UK business I get taxed. This is corruption 101
IMG_20221010_195225.jpg

Not complaining about the lp or the €20 price. But it is destroying small business that we all need. And I do feel guilty about that, but I know my shop doesn't have it, so I can't buy it there.

Oct 10, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #1,859 of 2,710
Just arrived from Amazon. Ordered Thursday, delivered Monday. But what baffles me... And is infuriating to me... It comes from the UK! No taxes! Not that I want to pay extra taxes, but when I buy from Amazon it just sails through, when I buy from an original UK business I get taxed. This is corruption 101

Not complaining about the lp or the €20 price. But it is destroying small business that we all need. And I do feel guilty about that, but I know my shop doesn't have it, so I can't buy it there.
you worry too much dude..enjoy!

Oct 10, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #1,860 of 2,710
Maybe you missed my back story on my last lp from Boomkat in the UK. The package was lost, returned to England, resent without tracking again and after almost 3 months in limbo and countless emails finally turned up.
Moreover, I had ordered and payed this record 'Are you experienced' on a b&m stores website but they never communicated that they didn't have it. It just said 'delivery in 2 weeks'. After over 2 months I changed my entire order to things they 'had' and I received those only after more than 3 months total. So, from virtual unobtainium and total sh!7show now I order at slave labor camp Amazon and I get it without any problems.

Not to mention how the postal service is degrading to banana republic standards lately. All my neighbors are complaining and asking: did you get my package?

I'm not worrying but I used to order stuff in the UK when it was EU and never had a problem. Now due to 🇪🇺 harassment and postal reorganisations it simply doesn't arrive, plus we get taxed an extra 25% just to punish the British for brexit. Tax is just an agreement to legalise highway robbery.

It severely hinders ordering hard to get lp's. And it takes all the fun out of it.

Btw: look at the hype stickers. This is a good version!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back