Vintage turntables vs. New Generation - Good value?
Jun 4, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #17 of 82
And I heard a Krell CD PLAYER slay an $8k SME table. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Jun 4, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #19 of 82
There are tons of opinions in the vintage v. new area. I feel that the vintage tables just can't compete with the newer ones in terms of resolution. However, the newer ones just don't have that warmth and musical touch old ones did. Plus, who needs resolutions for clicks and pops.
wink.gif

I have heard many tables and I feel the best way to go is vintage, Garrard 301, 401 and Thorens TD-124. When properly set-up, they are phenomenal.

Jul 7, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #20 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by wixy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do people rate a modded Pioneer SL1200 MK2?

As long as the mods didn't compromise the excellent performance of the stock table, I'd rate it somewhere between 'damn good' and 'near perfect'.

Remember the technics are flashbacks, basically being a 70s table still being manufactured brand new.

Aug 7, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #21 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend not even considering a vintage table unless you're willing to learn about restoration and you consider that sort of stuff to be an adventure rather than a chore. Or unless you're really poor like myself and come across an offer you can't refuse
wink.gif
. Otherwise, I think most people who care about SQ would be better off getting a modern table and avoiding the numerous potential pitfalls of vintage tables.

Spot on. A 1960s vintage deck like the Thorens TD125 will walk all over any modern deck right into VPI Scout territory and beyond BUT only if you give it a fighting chance by upgrading the tonearm and cart to at least 1980's standards, along the lines of a Rega RB250 and AT440MLA cart.

The deck itself is far superior to almost everything Rega or Pro-Ject et al make these days in the sub 1000 dollar bracket but the tonearms these tables are fitted with make the vintage Thorens ones sound pretty dated.

Of course some people like the sepia sounds of vintage tonearms like the SME 3009 and they do sound good with classical music and jazz recordings but if you want to hear the best that vinyl is capable of these days you will either need to tweak up an older deck or find someone else to do so or else buy a decent newer one.

Aug 13, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #22 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone who posted actually heard a Garrard or Thorens with a well-designed plinth? I haven't, but this guy is pretty enthusiastic about it.

Hi Hungrych,

I own a Garrard 401 with a Loricraft plinth and power supply; a SME IV and a Goldring Elite. I am totally happy with it and it sounds better than my cd player(Meridian). I never compare it side by side with a modern turntable but a few people have done that and you can do a search on it easily.

The thing to consider is that it is very costly to restore an old turntable like a Garrard 301 and 401. The Loricraft restored 401 will cost you about 2000 pounds(about 4000 dollars without arm and cartridge.)

I guess if you spend the same money on a modern turntable you might get better sound. For me though, I see my old turntable as a piece of antique and am more than happy to live with it.

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #23 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Hungrych,

I own a Garrard 401 with a Loricraft plinth and power supply; a SME IV and a Goldring Elite.

DROOOOOLLLLL!!!!!!
eek.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #24 of 82
I picked up an old TD-125 to get into vinyl, and simply because I like vintage stuff. So far, it has scaled very well with each extra that I added. I suppose you can tune a couple of these oldtimers to great performance, but this too, will cost you quite a bit, even if you are a handyman who does plinths, armboards etc himself. Currently I run my TD-125 Mk II with a Benz H2 cart into an Accuphase C-222 pre. Again you see my affinity for vintage stuff. The sound? i love it, but I am sure a vpi or other well renowned current make/model would sound just as good, if carefully tuned to ones liking. I am with Todd here - make sure you keep those records clean, otherwise the superior playback won't last you very long.

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #25 of 82
I have been playing my Thorens TD160 lately through a Hagerman Bugle phono stage.Its an enjoyable listen but a colored one.It generally has an old-timy sound,sort of juke box like and the high frequencies don't sparkle like a modern turntable.The table is silent and runs perfectly.The missing sparkle is of course due to the original wiring and plugs of its vintage TP16 tonearm and the colorations are from the arm itself.It would be no trick to install a JMW-9 tonearm and end up with a turntable more dynamic and lively than the Scout itself.The Thorens table is very well made and its bearing,platter,and motor are first rate.Good modern tonearms tend to be very expensive and this is the biggest problem with restoring any vintage turntable.Other than that,good vintage turntables as a rule are better than the newer ones.

Aug 19, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #26 of 82
ssportclay: Missing sparkle could also be a problem with capacity. What cable (type & length) do you run between the table and the phono stage - and does the phono stage allow adjusting input capacity?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 25, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #30 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ssportclay: Missing sparkle could also be a problem with capacity. What cable (type & length) do you run between the table and the phono stage - and does the phono stage allow adjusting input capacity?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Hi lini: The 6 Ft.cables with the oxidized plugs are original 1974 vintage Thorens.The cable looks little better than the free interconnects that come with most equipment.The Hagerman Bugle is 40db gain standard with an LM4562 op amp in the U3 socket.The Bugle sounds far superior to the NAD,Harman Kardon,Sony,and Denon receivers the Thorens has been matched with in the past and pretty much shows the TP16 tonearm for what it really is.One often recommended upgrade for the TP16 tonearm is to shorten and terminate the cables at the back of the deck and use modern quality RCA interconnects from the deck to the phono stage.This would of course improve high frequency sparkle but do little for the TP16 colorations.The TP16 is a classic tonearm from the past and sounds it.The best upgrade is to toss it and use something more modern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back