Vintage Stax repair and maintenance
May 6, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #181 of 236
  Stax Sr80 and SRDX Combo recently restored need help on matching amp and pads:

(Already started a thread on this but members pointed out that I should post this here to get the right replies)
(Here's the link to original thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/765324/stax-sr80-and-srdx-combo-recently-restored-amp-and-pad-options )

I recently had a STAX SR80 and SRDX Combo restored by a local tech and he did an outstanding job with the SRDX and the SR80 just needed a lot of playing and are now starting to bloom.

(Tech did some minor cleaning on the outside of the cans and replaced some caps on the energiser)

However I feel that the combo has more to give in terms of bass, headroom and dynamics, that's why I'm asking if this combo has a better match in terms of amplification. I'm not a bass head and I listen mostly to classic rock and jazz (I stay away from Hip Hop and EDM as a preference) so my bass expectations are still pretty lean.

At first the unit seemed to distort at high volume, but the tech advised me to leave them on to let the drivers charge and they're now quite okay.

Don't get me wrong, I've grown to love this pair of earspeakers but I have a nagging feeling that they can be more optimized.

The pads are now flat and they seem to press painfully over my ears on long listening sessions so I'm thinking of replacing them but I'm too cheap to get a Stax original replacement. I also think that a mod to the earpads can make my listening more comfortable.

Currently I run them with a Project Headbox that I alternate with a Sansui AUD607G with a headphone amp and I mostly listen to vinyl using a Technics SL1200 mk2 or some FLAC via a Macbook Pro Retina.

I read somewhere that I can connect the SRDX to a stereo speaker amplifier out? (I could be wrong about this)

Also, Any suggestions on an earpad tweak, mod or replacement and will this enhance my listening experience?

Thanks!

PS: Quick Noob Question, Do I need a seperate amp for these even if it comes with an Energiser?

Current chain is:
Sr80 < SRDx Energiser < Project Headbox < Sansui Line Out (Using MM for TechnicsSl1200 and/or Macbook Pro HP out

Here are some pics of the STAX combo:

These phones are, I believe, electrets, rather than true electrostatics.  There is no bias needed, so you can run them from any Stax amp, i.e. the original low bias models, or the later high bias models since the bias pin is not present.

Regarding mods, you might want to look at my thread on using sorbothane to dampen the earcups. This probably seems odd but I have found that virtuall all headphones, not simply Stax have audible resonance.  Get rid of it and you have a very big jump in performance.  Your is I believe essentially the same as a Lambda so my first few posts would probably apply.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/744839/cleaning-up-the-sound-of-stax-phones-with-sorbothane-lambdas-srxiii-pro-sr003-sr007-and-finally-the-sigma/90#post_11576812

Working with sorb is fairly inexpensive and the effects are reversible.  A good place to start is with self-stick 1/8 inch 30 or 40 duro sheets.  These can be had from ebay or Amazon for about $10.00.

May 7, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #182 of 236
  These phones are, I believe, electrets, rather than true electrostatics.  There is no bias needed, so you can run them from any Stax amp, i.e. the original low bias models, or the later high bias models since the bias pin is not present.

Regarding mods, you might want to look at my thread on using sorbothane to dampen the earcups. This probably seems odd but I have found that virtuall all headphones, not simply Stax have audible resonance.  Get rid of it and you have a very big jump in performance.  Your is I believe essentially the same as a Lambda so my first few posts would probably apply.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/744839/cleaning-up-the-sound-of-stax-phones-with-sorbothane-lambdas-srxiii-pro-sr003-sr007-and-finally-the-sigma/90#post_11576812

Working with sorb is fairly inexpensive and the effects are reversible.  A good place to start is with self-stick 1/8 inch 30 or 40 duro sheets.  These can be had from ebay or Amazon for about $10.00.

Thanks for the tip! Will definitely take a look at the thread!

So It would mean that the SRDx can function without the added amp and it would be better to just feed the line out straight into the SRDx?

Also, any tips on replacement pads that are more comfortable?

Thanks in advance!

May 8, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #183 of 236
  Thanks for the tip! Will definitely take a look at the thread!

So It would mean that the SRDx can function without the added amp and it would be better to just feed the line out straight into the SRDx?

Also, any tips on replacement pads that are more comfortable?

Thanks in advance!

The SRDX is an amp. I have one myself. It was originally set up to plug into a conventional headphone
Socket. I guess you can modify the plug to a pair of RCA's to run from a line out, but there may be an impedance problem and the sound may be a bit off.  What I am saying is that you can run your phones off any Stax headphone amp. These amps  are all set up for a line-in.

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #184 of 236
My Stax SR-Gamma lose one side of sound if I don't push up the cable... which means that there is problem with the wiring.

Any guide on how to safely open and fix this problem?

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #185 of 236
 Usually when I have had this problem it has been because a wire in the cable has broken somewhere outside of the earcup.  You could either get  a new cable or  cut off the broken section and resolder it to the cup, if possible.  However, I don't know what tricks you need to know to open a gamma earcup.

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #186 of 236
Dear Forum,

I don't know if I am posting to the correspondent forum, but I am asking the following:
I have read once that there is a significant difference between SB (Self-biasing) and non-self biasing transformers regarding the sound quality.

I am asking if this information true and if yes, can anyone tell me in which aspects one can percieve the difference?

Thank you for your reply in advance

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #187 of 236
  Dear Forum,

I don't know if I am posting to the correspondent forum, but I am asking the following:
I have read once that there is a significant difference between SB (Self-biasing) and non-self biasing transformers regarding the sound quality.

I am asking if this information true and if yes, can anyone tell me in which aspects one can percieve the difference?

Thank you for your reply in advance

You'll probably find more experience and feedback in the Stax thread and in the "My DIY Electrostatic headphone".

You should probably play your SBs loud for a while and then dial in the volume you; the self BIAS tap the energy from the music signal, and thus playing loud will allow the circuit to build up proper charge, and hopefully maintain it afterwards.
Years back I had a SRD7SB that I had replaced by a SRD7mkii and noticed that my NBs apparently sounded a tad more refined and tighter after the replacement ... didn't have the oppertunity to do a comparison afterwards though.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #188 of 236
I read once from a listing at eBay, that the self-biasing transformers are 'out-of-phase' less dynamic, and other poor qualities compared to those are runs from the mains.
I will copy and paste my question there, thank you for your help.

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #189 of 236
  I read once from a listing at eBay, that the self-biasing transformers are 'out-of-phase' less dynamic, and other poor qualities compared to those are runs from the mains.
I will copy and paste my question there, thank you for your help.

the transformers are the same, just the bias circuit that taps of the music signal rather than the mains

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #193 of 236
   Usually when I have had this problem it has been because a wire in the cable has broken somewhere outside of the earcup.  You could either get  a new cable or  cut off the broken section and resolder it to the cup, if possible.  However, I don't know what tricks you need to know to open a gamma earcup.

But if I push up the side without sound towards the earcup the sounds come back.

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #195 of 236
Dear Forum,

I've acquired a set of SR-5 earspeakers. I am aware that there are different versions available (New, Gold etc.) and I am asking that how can one's determine which version is which?
Mine is white (now it's rather yellow due to it's age), and the tag boards are rather silver than gold, however it's box states that it is a gold version.
I've seen black SR-5 with gold tagboards and lids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back