Vintage Stax repair and maintenance
Jan 7, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #106 of 236
Hi everyone. I'm new here and I want to share some problems with phones I've noticed when bought it 2 monts back from now. It's stax sr-x mk3 with low bias srd7/sb energizer. Problem is when turn up the music, left chanel is slightly lower then right, but after 6-7 minutes they are totaly equal. Do I need to concern about that issue or someone have suggestion solving this? Sorry for my bad language. Every help is welcome. Thanks

Not a concern but is something expected from such an old headphone, my personal SR-5's exhibit this and others that have owned vintage Stax stuff reported the same. The drivers are starting to show there age, it only becomes a problem if the imbalance stays and gets notably worse from regular use. But as long as there are no holes in the dust filter membrane, no loud volume abuse and driver tampering in a non humid place - should not be a problem.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #108 of 236

Thanks for fast reply good man. Well, then I'll just enjoy the music. Do you know where I can buy extension cable for my phones or just male/female connectors so I could make cabeles of my own?

Stax do make their own extension cables. Can be had through Stax and on amazon and ebay.. Don't know about extension cables with 6 pins, though.

STAX did make 6 pin (normal bias) extension cables. I bought mine in 1984-1985.

The headphone cables and the current extension cable are flat (ribbon). This old extension cable is different being round with medium grey outer insulation.

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #110 of 236
> The headphone cables and the current extension cable are flat (ribbon). This old extension cable is different
> being round with medium grey outer insulation.

I have an old extension cable like this. The female end has 6 holes and the male end has 5 pins. Normal bias 6-pin earspeakers (SR3) seem to work properly with this extension cable on their normal bias SRD-5 box. Is there any danger for man or machine using 6-pin normal bias earspeakers with a 5-pin cable?

Thanks.

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #111 of 236
As long as you don't use them with pro bias output.

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #112 of 236
Hi,

I have the same 5 pole male to 6 pole female extension and am using it with my SR-5 NB and SRD6/SB. One could also use it between a pro headspeaker and any bias amp.

You just need to make very sure not to connect a normal bias headspeaker to a pro bias amp/energizer - which the cable allows for - this will probably toast the phones. Since I don't own any device with pro bias, no danger here :wink:

Joachim

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #113 of 236
I own a number of Stax Sigmas.  About two years ago, two of my Sigma Pros died on me.  It seems that you can't mix vintage Stax headphones with new Stax amplifiers,  You also should come to the  realization that if you are using vintage Stax headphones, it might not be wise to crank the volume up too high.  I think I have also learnt that it may not be wise to use vintage Stax headphones with amplifiers that are not made by Stax.

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #114 of 236
I feel so sorry for you, dude.. 

What happened? I see no reason why not to use modern Stax amps with vintage stuff as long as it's compatible bias wise.

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #115 of 236
  I own a number of Stax Sigmas.  About two years ago, two of my Sigma Pros died on me.  It seems that you can't mix vintage Stax headphones with new Stax amplifiers,  You also should come to the  realization that if you are using vintage Stax headphones, it might not be wise to crank the volume up too high.  I think I have also learnt that it may not be wise to use vintage Stax headphones with amplifiers that are not made by Stax.

Ouch, that's too bad... as for vintage earspeakers and new amps (regardless of maker), you have to make sure that you run normal bias stuff (6 pole plug on the attached cable) on normal bias amp/energizer outputs only. Those also have a 6 pole female plug. Normally you will not be able to put a normal bias 6 pole plug into a 5 pole pro bias female - unless you have a non-standard amp with pro bias and 6 pole plug or the infamous 5 pole male to 6 pole female extension mentioned before or sb. messed up recabling the phones.

If you run normal bias stuff with pro bias, you will damage your phones, regardless of listening volume... the only exception might be an srd7/sb mk2 which generates the normal and pro bias voltages from the music signal and thus might not fry an old phone on the pro plug at low volumes...

With the correct bias you'll probably kill your hearing before killing the vintage stax.

Joachim

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #116 of 236

Ouch, that's too bad... as for vintage earspeakers and new amps (regardless of maker), you have to make sure that you run normal bias stuff (6 pole plug on the attached cable) on normal bias amp/energizer outputs only. Those also have a 6 pole female plug. Normally you will not be able to put a normal bias 6 pole plug into a 5 pole pro bias female - unless you have a non-standard amp with pro bias and 6 pole plug or the infamous 5 pole male to 6 pole female extension mentioned before or sb. messed up recabling the phones.

If you run normal bias stuff with pro bias, you will damage your phones, regardless of listening volume... the only exception might be an srd7/sb mk2 which generates the normal and pro bias voltages from the music signal and thus might not fry an old phone on the pro plug at low volumes...

With the correct bias you'll probably kill your hearing before killing the vintage stax.

Joachim

Yep - been there, done that. Fortunately no perceivable damage, but a lot of squealing firstly from the Sigmas and secondly from me. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #117 of 236
I use Sigmas Pro's with Srm-727mk2 it works perfectly and it actually sound slightly better than Sennheiser Orpheus and even better than SR-009/727mk2 .The Sigmas should used without the grills so that your ears completely enter the earspeakers.The wool should be kept away from the drivers as much as you get otherwise the cleanness and freshness is disturbed,when everything is ok it's the best phone on this planet.
-thinker

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #118 of 236
  I use Sigmas Pro's with Srm-727mk2 it works perfectly and it actually sound slightly better than Sennheiser Orpheus and even better than SR-009/727mk2 .The Sigmas should used without the grills so that your ears completely enter the earspeakers.The wool should be kept away from the drivers as much as you get otherwise the cleanness and freshness is disturbed,when everything is ok it's the best phone on this planet.
-thinker

You're crazy man, I thought your Malvalve amp was bestest thing that's happened to you since sliced bread?

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #119 of 236
Have an option to buy a 1000$ Sigma pro bias with srd7 and original box.. But no thanks, that's simply too expensive.
Oth if it's the best phone on the planet... :wink:

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #120 of 236
Have an option to buy a 1000$ Sigma pro bias with srd7 and original box.. But no thanks, that's simply too expensive.
Oth if it's the best phone on the planet...
wink.gif

Could you please send me PM i will buy the Sigmas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back