Vintage Rs-1?
Oct 10, 2007 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

Wil

1000+ Head-Fier
I just scored a pair of used RS-1s and they seem to me like they're vintage.

Can anyone confirm?

The fonts on the buttons look different from any fonts i've seen so far, and the leather on the head band is a dark tan, not the normal black you would usually see on newer RS-1s.

rs1001ya4.jpg

rs1002cd2.jpg

Fonts on buttons.

rs1004mc7.jpg

Tan leather.

rs1003qv8.jpg

Vintage or not, they certainly sound stunning.

I wonder if the newer Rs-1s sound just as good....hmmm....

I compared these babies side by side with a GS1k via a Cary 300B amp and the RS1 trounced it by far. More musical and much more fluid and smooth. If i wanted neutral, i rather go for AKG( which i have in the form of the 701!) thank you very much!
icon10.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 85
Those are vintage ! Can also see that they have been used firmly as they have some minor dents but but thats what vintage should look, sweet and awesome! Give me a word if you want to sell them to me
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 85
Ive always dreamt of Vintage RS1s so i think ill hold on to them for abit first...hehe.
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 85
Definitely a cheap Hong Kong imitation
rolleyes.gif
...but if you want to sell them send me a pm
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 85
those are BOTH rare and vintage. Ive never seen italicized button logo font like that, and the earcup font is different too. We all know Grado never really adheres to set standards for anything cosmetic, it doesn't surprise me.

curious, did it come with a wooden box? can you post pics of that too?

I dont believe the bowl pads are original, at least they appear to be too new looking for a can of that vintage.

"trounced the GS1000... More musical and fluid than a GS1000", Hmm... Now you got me thinking. Its well known that the earliest John Grado designs used left over Joe Grado drivers. Can you post pics of the drivers and inside the earcup, through the mesh screen?

I'm wondering if there are old HP1000 drivers in there(?)

All the RS1's I have heard none of them are what I would consider to be smoother or more fluid than a GS1000. Even Craig (of eddie Current) OLD vintage RS1, still sounded like an RS1.

the tan leather is a dead give away. AFAIK, only the oldest RS1s had tan leather, and theres probably only a handful of them in head-Fi existance.

Thanks for sharing and heres a bunch for you
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 85
nice,
I have a vintage pair, one of the last pairs perfect and old I expect.
The L and R will be in gold on this phone as well if vintage. The cabling on the older RS series phones is a bit more flexible as well. Also, this phone will feature the metal rod caps VS hard plastic in a newer RS model. To the OP, hold onto this pair, it looks nice and aged. The sound is better on the older RS series for my ears but this a preference call I suppose..

Look at the color of the driver, is it white or black/dark colored? That will indicate the driver type installed. Doubt there is a s/n on this one, the older did not feature batch references usually, unless a prototype or working model.

Nice do, nonetheless

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #13 of 85
Last summer I listened my uncle's vintage RS1. It had a tan headband, flats and wooden box. He bought them somewhere in the early 90's.

I didn't like them from Corda Headfive. Sounded so muddy. All I could hear is huge bass and nothing else. I just might make a reservation of them if he decides to replace them some day.
rs1smile.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #14 of 85
Mine have no serial number.

To Kramer - I had the old pads removed and installed new pads because the old ones were falling apart.

To Audiofiler - the L/R are not gold but silver.

Hm....i wonder.

The drivers are dark ( not black ) and have the usual putty on them, also, no wooden box because it was a demo set from a local store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back