Vintage RS-1 question
Nov 23, 2006 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Rhydon

MOT: Symphones
I managed to get a pair of vintage RS-1's for a great price the other day, see link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:L:RTQ:US:1

What really attracted me to the listing was the fact that these were a pair of some of the first RS-1's- Ive been doing some research behind this subject and the 'brown' leather headband indicates some of the very first production runs. It also seems that these RS-1's used a superior wood (first hand experience listening to pbalcer's old rs-1's at a meet) and had a much more refined sound to them compared to modern production RS-1's (less shouty mids, deeper bass, clearer highs etc)

But here is my question... Looking at the pics on the auction, would you say the drivers have been replaced? It just occurred to me that the earliest RS-1's had black driver protector fabric... Or were these right after the switch to the white fabric?

Either way, would you say these are indeed vintage RS-1's? Why or why not?

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 18
I'm not too sure on the black (or red?) fabric on the drivers, but the headband, green foam, and wooden box indicates that it is indeed a old RS-1. Very nice score for a nice price!

Nov 23, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 18
Are the caps on the adjusting rods metal or plastic?

Are the 'L' and 'R' gold coloured?

Nov 23, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 18
I have yet to receive the RS-1's, it will be a week or so until they arrive. Since i am bored, i decided to post this to see if i can answer the question before hand.

So your saying that the caps on the adustment rods and "L,R" symbols set it apart from the herd?

Rob have you ever seen RS-1's with metal endcaps, a wooden box, and brown leather headband, that have white driver fabric?

Nov 23, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rob have you ever seen RS-1's with metal endcaps, a wooden box, and brown leather headband, that have white driver fabric?

No I haven't.

The first pair of RS-1's I bought had the standard cardboardbox,black headband and metal caps and had black driver grills.

Nov 23, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 18
I bought them around 2000 - 2001,they had no serial number.Serial numbers on Grados are a relatively recent event.

Nov 23, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could it be that like wood instruments- the headphones sound better after use and as the wood ages?

Im sure the aging does attribute 'some' sonic qualities, but i beleive it has to be different in the first place to have a large impact on sound. Not ALL old RS-1's have a dark mahogany. I had an opourtunity to listen to Pbalcer's RS-1's at the Hamilton head-fi meet- they were the darkest set ive seen, with the nicest finish; serial number was 450 or so. Everyone at the meet acknowlaged they had never heard an rs-1 that was as accurate and smooth as Pbalcer's. Now it could of been placebo, or the playboy-bunny stamped pills that Philodox was so eager everyone sampled
icon10.gif
, but i cant wait to do a comparison between a current RS-1 i have on hand (SN# 2340) to this predated model. Also note, this ebay 'vintage' RS-1 has a darker wood, very similar to Pbalcer's in the Hamilton Head-fi meet pictures.

Does anyone know information about mahogany or woods in general? What does darker mean? more dense/ brittle, or aged? Better quality? etc.

Nov 23, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 18
Rhydon: Just checked out the auction pics, they definitely appear vintage but shouldn't all early RS-1s come with flat pads? I suppose the original owner may have very well replaced them and possibly sent them back to Grado for repairs to support your driver fabric theory.

Nov 23, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"It also seems that these RS-1's used a superior wood"

Could it be that like wood instruments- the headphones sound better after use and as the wood ages?

Mitch

Ive always wondered this too. My mons 1977 takamine coustic guitar sounds CONSIDERABLY more resonant and dynamic than current production guitars (of various makes)... costing upwards of ~$1000

On those RS1s... Is it a fact that the earlier production runs all had the black cheese-cloth? I could have sworn Ive seen pics of mixed types... black and white cloth.???

Those older headbands always looked to me like they have more head cushion in them than the current models.

Thats a great price too, nice to know they went to a forum member.
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

can you please post pics when you get em??

Nov 23, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know information about mahogany or woods in general? What does darker mean? more dense/ brittle, or aged? Better quality? etc.

TMK, the darkness of the RS-1/MS-Pros likely is due to the color of the stain applied to it. However, wood stains do appear to get a little darker over time, IME. I've hand-stained several pieces of unfinished furniture years ago. I've noticed all those pieces are noticably darker now. It is likely due to oxidation and not light exposure since I always keep the blinds closed in my apt. That said, I don't think that the newer "honey-colored" RS-1/MS-Pros will ever darken to look like the "walnut-colored" older ones.

Oh, here is a pic my MS-Pros for future comparison to your upcoming vintage RS-1. I think they used to be your own pair at one time.
rs1smile.gif

IMG_2818.jpg

Nov 23, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #14 of 18
yeah, Kev the weird thing is ive seen old Grado's that come in the custom wood boxes, they all have white driver fabric.... the only one that sticks out is Rob's- which was post grado wooden box.

kontai69, haha yep, those are m'old mspro's... That pair is one of my favourites.... to this day i still regret selling them
frown.gif

Nov 24, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 18
I have a older pair of RS1s I bought used in 1995 they where 6 months old.They look the same as the ones pictured.The driver cloth is actually clear looking(not White,may just be the way the camera took the pics ,lighting) over a black plate with holes in it.
Drivers are a brownish gold color with a clear looking center cap.
Brown headband,metal posts,Gold L/R lettering.Came with Flatpads which I prefer with the phones,wooden box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back