Vintage Receivers
Aug 5, 2007 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kanamin

100+ Head-Fier
I've been hearing some good things about vintage receivers, and it just so happened my local hobby shop dealer was into vintage audio. Any of these worth my money?

PICT1022.jpg

(pioneer SX-400 and yamaha DSP-E300)
PICT1023.jpg

He also had a larger (and older looking o.o, encased in wood and had analog meters and everything) Kenwood receiver, but it was $80. He wants $40 for the pioneer and $60 for the Kenwood pictured, and I have no idea what he wants for the yamaha.

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 18
so, no chance any of these have tubes?

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 18
OUt of those 3, I would take the Kenwood in the last picture.

The Yamaha and the Pioneer look to be from the 80s, which means that they probably feature less discrete circuitry and less robust power supplies, compared to the Kenwood which appears to be of 70s vintage.

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 18
None of the above is particularly noteworthy.

What is most important in terms of precedence:

Speaker amplifier
Tuner
phono preamp
headphone amp

Read the reviews on this site and Audio Asylum for the vintage Marantz 2230 as a good speaker and headphone amp with a nice phono preamp. Tuner is mediocre.

For a new unit, look at the Panasonic 57 digital receiver or HK's.

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 18
I'm just looking for something to drive some bookshelf speakers, gonna be using a chaintech av-710 as a source. I don't wanna spend a LOT of money, but I want something decently better than my Philips MMS321 2.0 set I'm using right now.

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just looking for something to drive some bookshelf speakers, gonna be using a chaintech av-710 as a source. I don't wanna spend a LOT of money, but I want something decently better than my Philips MMS321 2.0 set I'm using right now.

look around. there's plenty of deals for used amps around $120.

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 18
but the kenwood is only $60
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

but the kenwood is only $60
biggrin.gif

yeah you can try getting the kenwood. i tried out the vintage kenwood KA-2002A (1971-73) and it sounded OK. slow and mellow sounding. the modern SS amps are technically much better, though.

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

He wants $40 for the pioneer and $60 for the Kenwood pictured, and I have no idea what he wants for the yamaha.

Those are fair prices, as those receivers probably were all from their respective manufacturers' budget lines. For example Pioneer's best vintage integrated amplifiers didn't start until the 1000s (ex. SX-1250, SX-1280, etc.). Some of those higher-ranged vintage amps sell for a fair amount of money on eBay.

Keep in mind that vintage components will probably need a bit of maintenance. I've heard that leaky capacitors are the number one concern as far as maintaining sound quality.

Agreed with sschell and cotdt that the Kenwood is the most respectable-looking of the bunch, though I wouldn't buy any of them without taking a look inside. If you can get the owner to let you look, make note of the size and rating of the output capacitors (two large cylinders that are usually located near the back center part of the inside of the amp).

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #12 of 18
ok you guys have officially convinced me to not consider any of the above receivers. What kind of amp do I get?

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #13 of 18
Remind us of your budget again. Also, could you decrease the width of the pictures in the original post?
biggrin.gif

You could start looking at receivers, but if you only have two speakers, consider looking at integrated amplifiers like the Pioneer Elite A-35R or the NAD C320BEE (or C325BEE). The A-35R's MSRP is only $200, and it can be found used for much less. I own one and consider it to be one of the best values I've ever found. It also has a built-in MM phono preamp if you decide to go vintage, and the headphone jack is actually pretty good.

Aug 5, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the modern SS amps are technically much better, though.

i think theres quite a few people who might disagree with you on that

Aug 5, 2007 at 9:28 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by midnite8791 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think theres quite a few people who might disagree with you on that

the modern amps measure much better, so it's technically better. subjectively, people have their preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back