Vintage PCDP Pictoral Database (56k WARNING)
Dec 20, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #16 of 46
I agree with both warubozu and markot86. 9 times out of 10, when someone lifts somebody else's picture for an auction or sale, there is some level of intent to deceive. Whether it be misleading without saying anything untrue or outright lying. Or anything in between.

If you are too lazy or do not have the means to take a digital photo, you really should be using a manufacturer's or store's stock photos.

I've had situations where people have asked me to use my photos and I've obliged as long as they cited the source and were clear that the pictures were not of their own products.

Dec 20, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Ya know, this thread brings up a question in my mind: Why do people get so up in arms when sellers "borrow" their pics for use in eBay auctions? I mean, what's the big deal? Hopefully they're noting in the auction text that the picture isn't of the actual unit for sale; even if not, it's between the seller and the buyer. Who really cares if someone is profiting (very indirectly) by using someone else's pictures? If the pictures were mine, I wouldn't care a bit. In fact I would be flattered that someone found my photography nice enough to use in their auction.

P.S. on the flip side, most eBay auctioneers take pics *only* to sell the item in question, and probably delete them afterward. How many people here would be upset if they saw their eBay item picture used in a non-profit vintage PCDP gallery (without credit given)?

What's your POV on the morality/immorality of "borrowing" eBay pics for other purposes, and do you think it's OK to do it (nonprofit-wise) if a "removal on request" disclaimer is used?

Always the first to nitpick, eh?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Like what warubozu and markot86 said, if the pics are being copied, how the hell do you know if that seller actually owns the product and if they do, how will you know if the pcdp they have will be cosmetically identical?

There's no hoping in ebay, there's too many scams happening nowadays in which makes us all very cautious...or well...most of us
icon10.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #18 of 46
Very nice pics.

Your photo of the Toshiba reminded me of an auction I saw on ebay. It caught my attention, but I'd never heard of the model, or any other PCDP player from Toshiba for that matter. What do you think of it?

I'm also skeptical of auctions where there isn't a photo of the actual item for sale, even if they tell you it isn't the original photo but "looks exactly as pictured". Still, even with the risk, ebay can be so tempting sometimes
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #19 of 46
I like the Toshiba a lot. It's my most recent acquisition I think. Punchy and powerful out of the headphone out. Build quality is fantastic. Right up there with the best Sony's. The base station is kind of interesting.

Jan 11, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by YngwieJMalmsteen
You have quite a collection there insomniac. Mine is meager by comparison, but here goes.
D121.jpg

Sony D-121 (lots of these on head-fi)

Hard to see why... they are cheaply built and IMO don't sound particularly good.

BTW I've got some pics up here:

http://photo.head-fi.org/showgallery...00&ppuser=6793

Some of them are taken from eBay (in a dramatic reversal from the usual situation
tongue.gif
). Any photographers who don't wish them displayed (or who want attribution), drop me a PM.

Feb 19, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #24 of 46
Excellent pictures! Fewtch, your gallery has the best D-555 pictures I’ve yet seen! I can finally read the letters on the top LCD. Wow… there are no less than 3 of the D-555’s up for sale on ebay right now. I’m really tempted to get one, more than ever.. argh!

Feb 19, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #26 of 46
God i remember I had the D321 back in 1992-94 lol, my 1st CD player... I was like 8 years old

Feb 22, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #28 of 46
O.M.G I nearly had a heart attack looking at all those beauties in a single page...It's sad my D777 doesn't have DBB. It's line-out is broken too..no sound in one of the channels.. Sony is looking to cut my head off with its exhorbitant repair fees.

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mairltk
O.M.G I nearly had a heart attack looking at all those beauties in a single page...It's sad my D777 doesn't have DBB. It's line-out is broken too..no sound in one of the channels.. Sony is looking to cut my head off with its exhorbitant repair fees.

How is the line-out broken on it? If you pay for shipping both ways, one of the DIYers here may be willing to try to fix it. I just fixed the line out on a couple of my players the other day, so I have some reason to believe yours is salvageable. Although, I haven't tried it on one with an optical out shared (the D-777 has that right?). I think the line-out module is made by Sharp on your player, in case you want to look around for the part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back