Vintage PCDP Pictoral Database (56k WARNING)
Dec 19, 2005 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

insomniac

Headphoneus Supremus
This is a work in progress...

I credit (or blame) Duncan's fantastic review round-up for giving me the vintage PCDP jones a few years ago. But the one thing I always thought the otherwise comprehensive compilation lacked was pictures. I've gone through a "personal PCDP journey" myself and while I could never match Duncan's reviews, I can share my pics and attempt to fill that hole. Enjoy!

This will be under construction for awhile but I'm going to start posting pictures and then eventually add comments/mini-reviews.

Here is the first batch of 22. Many more models to come...

xr9459_2_wm.jpg

Toshiba XR9459

xp7_3_wm.jpg

Aiwa XP7

t_slxp6_1_wm.jpg

Technics SL-XP6

slxp505_2_wm.jpg

Technics SL-XP505

slxp700_4_wm.jpg

Technics SL-XP700

slxp50_4_wm.jpg

Panasonic SL-XP50

slxp5_2_wm.jpg

Technics SL-XP5

d777_1_wm.jpg

Sony D-777

slct470_1_wm.jpg

Panasonic SL-CT470

d555_1_wm.jpg

Sony D-555

d515_2_wm.jpg

Sony D-515

d465_1_wm.jpg

Sony D-465

d335_2_wm.jpg

Sony D-335

d330_1_wm.jpg

Sony D-330

d311_6_wm.jpg

Sony D-311

d321_1_wm.jpg

Sony D-321

d223_2_wm.jpg

Sony D-223

d303g_1_wm.jpg

Sony D-303

d25s_1_wm.jpg

Sony D-25S

d35_1_wm.jpg

Sony D-35

d15_1_wm.jpg

Sony D-15

az6819_1_wm.jpg

Philips AZ6819

de905_009_wm.jpg

Sony D-E900

denon_002_wm.jpg

Denon DCP-100

denon_018_wm.jpg

Denon DCP-50

denon_009_wm.jpg

Denon DCP-150

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 46
Nice watermark too, so folks can't steal the pics for eBay. Nice touch. Ah, so nostalgic to see the D-15 and D-25 again! And the D-35 and D-555 look amazing...

Dec 19, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 46
Very nice! Thanks for sharing and now i'm getting the urge to run to ebay...maybe in a few weeks!
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Dec 20, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Nice watermark too, so folks can't steal the pics for eBay. Nice touch. Ah, so nostalgic to see the D-15 and D-25 again! And the D-35 and D-555 look amazing...

Haha, thanks. One of the reasons why it took so long. I'm a photo-editing noob. Thanks to blessingx, by the way. It was over a year ago he gave me some tips on photography and photo-editing.

In terms of looks, out of the ones posted, my favorites are the D-311, SL-XP700 and the AZ6819.

But we have the D-J50 pic, among others, coming soon.

Dec 20, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #11 of 46
Sweet pics. Been toying with the idea of doing something like this myself, and asking eBay sellers if I can use their pictures. Either that, or the usual "please contact me if you want it removed" blah blah.

Dec 20, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #13 of 46
Ya know, this thread brings up a question in my mind: Why do people get so up in arms when sellers "borrow" their pics for use in eBay auctions? I mean, what's the big deal? Hopefully they're noting in the auction text that the picture isn't of the actual unit for sale; even if not, it's between the seller and the buyer. Who really cares if someone is profiting (very indirectly) by using someone else's pictures? If the pictures were mine, I wouldn't care a bit. In fact I would be flattered that someone found my photography nice enough to use in their auction.

P.S. on the flip side, most eBay auctioneers take pics *only* to sell the item in question, and probably delete them afterward. How many people here would be upset if they saw their eBay item picture used in a non-profit vintage PCDP gallery (without credit given)?

What's your POV on the morality/immorality of "borrowing" eBay pics for other purposes, and do you think it's OK to do it (nonprofit-wise) if a "removal on request" disclaimer is used?

Dec 20, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Ya know, this thread brings up a question in my mind: Why do people get so up in arms when sellers "borrow" their pics for use in eBay auctions? I mean, what's the big deal? Hopefully they're noting in the auction text that the picture isn't of the actual unit for sale; even if not, it's between the seller and the buyer. Who really cares if someone is profiting (very indirectly) by using someone else's pictures? If the pictures were mine, I wouldn't care a bit. In fact I would be flattered that someone found my photography nice enough to use in their auction.

P.S. on the flip side, most eBay auctioneers take pics *only* to sell the item in question, and probably delete them afterward. How many people here would be upset if they saw their eBay item picture used in a non-profit vintage PCDP gallery (without credit given)?

What's your POV on the morality/immorality of "borrowing" eBay pics for other purposes, and do you think it's OK to do it (nonprofit-wise) if a "removal on request" disclaimer is used?

I think the problem is that pictures like these can be used to scam people into thinking the seller has the item when in reality he does not.

Dec 20, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 46
fewtch, I think the big problem is many times the seller doesn't state in their auction that the pic being used isn't a pic of the actual PCDP that's being sold. True the buyer could also very well contact the seller and ask if the pic being used is a pic of the actual PCDP, but many times buyer don't ask and automatically assume that the PCDP in the pic is the one they're actually bidding on. When the buyer wins the auction and then receives the PCDP, he or she may feel like they got ripped off when they realize that the actually PCDP they had won may be in worse condition than the one depicted in the pics. As the saying goes "A picture is worth a thousand words", many buyers rely on pics (and many put a lot of emphasis on this) along with the description to give them some idea the condition of the item being sold. Another problem as it has been mentioned by markot86 is that many sellers are trying to run scams on Ebay by using pics that aren't actually theirs to try and make a sale when they don't even have the PCDP. This practice has been happening very often recently (as recent as last week) with the some sellers trying to sell R10's with the same pic use in other similar scams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back