Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
May 21, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #1,096 of 1,545
Lastly, I keep having to last minute travel for work, but going to try to get to CanJam Chicago next month if I don't end up traveling. Looking forward to meeting anyone that also gets a chance to if so. :)

I’ll be at CanJam Chicago for sure :)

May 21, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #1,097 of 1,545
I’ll be at CanJam Chicago for sure :)

Good to know! Will definitely PM you and keep you posted if I'm able to. Would be cool to link up!

May 21, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #1,098 of 1,545
May 23, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #1,099 of 1,545
Finally just went ahead and ordered the CA-1a and the Star-8 cable. Should be here by the end of the week. If it keeps much of the Sr1a's strengths and improves the bass, I think it can be pretty interesting. Given my strong hesitancy to purchase another amp just for the Sr1a, maybe this can replace it altogether for me. Will share thoughts as I can as I go. :)

May 23, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #1,100 of 1,545
are you using the ti1b box?

May 23, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #1,101 of 1,545
are you using the ti1b box?

Yup, grabbed the package with the interface. I'll be trying them with the Studio B amp and my EVO or Hegel speaker amps.

May 23, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #1,102 of 1,545
Yup, grabbed the package with the interface. I'll be trying them with the Studio B amp and my EVO or Hegel speaker amps.

That's great man. I'm really enjoying the Ca1a. fit and comfort are not the best, but I quickly forget about it once the music starts.

The sr1b benefits from the vm1a more than the Ca1a does.

May 28, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #1,103 of 1,545
I've been listening to the SGL Sr. through the T2 mostly the past few weeks... it is so far ahead and above everything else that it's just not funny. The thing that stands out the most consistently is that the sound is just bigger than life in comparison to everything else.. whether talking the TC, Susvara, x9000, Sr1a, HE90, R10 etc. Just a more huge and engulfing sound, while being the most resolving of anything.

It's not a rock out set of cans at all though. If heavy rock, metal, hip hop etc is your go to, then it likely doesn't fit the bill imo. TC, L3000, Caldera etc. would be much better. The only thing I would mention, is that I recently revisited these genres + other bass heavy/dependent songs and it still ends up being a revelation lol, just with a bit more needed/wanted bass impact. (Also, same is true with the HE90 and R10, which are the two next best headphones I have ever heard)

May 28, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #1,104 of 1,545
I've been listening to the SGL Sr. through the T2 mostly the past few weeks... it is so far ahead and above everything else that it's just not funny. The thing that stands out the most consistently is that the sound is just bigger than life in comparison to everything else.. whether talking the TC, Susvara, x9000, Sr1a, HE90, R10 etc. Just a more huge and engulfing sound, while being the most resolving of anything.

It's not a rock out set of cans at all though. If heavy rock, metal, hip hop etc is your go to, then it likely doesn't fit the bill imo. TC, L3000, Caldera etc. would be much better. The only thing I would mention, is that I recently revisited these genres + other bass heavy/dependent songs and it still ends up being a revelation lol, just with a bit more needed/wanted bass impact. (Also, same is true with the HE90 and R10, which are the two next best headphones I have ever heard)

If you ever get to try the Sr with the Grand Cayman and offer a comparison to the T2 would love to hear that. I have no idea if that amp will be back at CanJam Chicago or not (hope so)

May 28, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #1,105 of 1,545
If you ever get to try the Sr with the Grand Cayman and offer a comparison to the T2 would love to hear that. I have no idea if that amp will be back at CanJam Chicago or not (hope so)

I would absolutely love to. I may reach out to Justin and ask. I'd be a bit hesitant to take any really expensive gear there, but that would absolutely be a treat.

May 28, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #1,106 of 1,545
I would absolutely love to. I may reach out to Justin and ask. I'd be a bit hesitant to take any really expensive gear there, but that would absolutely be a treat.

completely understand you. At CanJam NYC, JT Marshal brought a pair which was fortuante for me, but I only tried them with the Grand Cayman (phenomenal) but didn't have a chance to do the same with the T2, so I can't offer any insight on comparison. Lmk what Justin says.. if he's there with it, you may want to consider trying that out (other estats on it soudned good, but it wasn't the same at all; e.g. the X9K on my Carbon sounded just as good as on Grand Cayman, so this is a specific synergy thing)

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #1,107 of 1,545
Stop talking about the ShangriLa! I do not want to get the itch :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I am just sitting here hoping my X9000/T2 still remains supreme.
Let's not forget source - which for me, being primarily in 2 channel land, remains the most important part of the chain. I would like to think my Linn Klimax DS and dCS Rossini "compensate" for the "weakness" of my X9000's.

HiFiMan need to make a ShangriLa available for demo to seriously interested parties. It is a BIG ask for someone to make a purchase on the blind.

May 28, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #1,109 of 1,545
May 28, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #1,110 of 1,545
Stop talking about the ShangriLa! I do not want to get the itch :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I am just sitting here hoping my X9000/T2 still remains supreme.
Let's not forget source - which for me, being primarily in 2 channel land, remains the most important part of the chain. I would like to think my Linn Klimax DS and dCS Rossini "compensate" for the "weakness" of my X9000's.

HiFiMan need to make a ShangriLa available for demo to seriously interested parties. It is a BIG ask for someone to make a purchase on the blind.

The x9000 comes close to a lot of the technicalities of the SGL Sr. The Sr just improves on everything (except bass response) very slightly, and pulls it all together with a better, more coherent presentation. The Sr. has more energy and is less laid back, which amplifies its slightly better qualities imo. But the price discrepancy between the two is really outrageous and not indicative of the difference between the two. The SGL Sr. is easily overpriced and I really wish it wasn't, but that's the market fit they went after smh

Absolutely worth a demo or listen if you like the x9000. Or Susvara. Or 009. That I can promise you.

How does the SGL sr sound on cheaper amps ? Like the kgsshv or something of that tier

Just needs an amp with ample power. I think the Kgsshv should do it justice. I was absolutely blown away by the BHSE and it until hearing it on the T2, which it just absolutely jumps up a bit--just like the 007. But it was very enjoyable on the BHSE and Aeras.

It was absolutely awful on the SRM-1 MK2, which is my back up amp.. and really soft on the stax T1s which is my backup HE90 amp (everything else outside of the 007 actually does really well on this amp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back