Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Jun 26, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #1,126 of 1,611
That's great you got to hear them. I must chime in and say it has all the clarity and resolution (some consider it bright, how funny is that!). It is very natural and not speedy and overly bright as most of the gear in your arsenal (SR, 009, HE60, etch..).

Once you spend time with the bass, you will realize, that it is the best bass, but yes it is overwhelming at first. With the perfect setup like @Saberpunch tube amps, the A800 balance out and shines and becomes a top-tier headphone.
With the OG pads, and 300B tubes, R2R dac, this headphone has become my top 5 in rank. After a full day or week, all other headphones will sound unnatural. :beerchug:

I agree with Protoss. It’s possible to achieve good clarity with the Onkyo A800, but I added a lot of stuff (which I think you still need in every digital audio chain). I just don’t think it will reach those crazy clarity as some other headphones. But every headphone has its trade off. I say the Onkyo A800 good enough clarity is a nice trade off for its other nice features like it’s satisfying bass and timbre on drums and electric guitar for me.

For my chain, it’s more than just the crazy tube amp combination. Stuff like a server, network streamer to avoid unwanted computer noises and a clean amp. Easier solution is a good CD transport and forget about digital. After all that just to keep a minimal noise/distortion in the chain, or at least try. R2R DAC for me at least is to add more musicality and sweetness into the chain. hearing really good R2R DAC like the SW1X DAC IV and my recently upgraded DAC Mojo Audio Mystique Evo B4B has been mind blowing equipments because I never knew a DAC could help the chain sound so sweet.

Again, they're good for the price, but clarity is definitely lacking a bit compared to TOTLs, and no other headphone felt like it lacked clarity in the DCS Lina Stack. And @Saberpunch you shared this weekend what you just mentioned about clarity yourself but also that it's the one thing other users call out. Still, a tremendous value, but I do think it's been overhyped in the official thread to a large degree and isn't on par with the absolute TOTLs available today. But again, it's $400, which is ridiculous for how good it actually is.

Jun 26, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #1,127 of 1,611
Again, they're good for the price, but clarity is definitely lacking a bit compared to TOTLs, and no other headphone felt like it lacked clarity in the DCS Lina Stack. And @Saberpunch you shared this weekend what you just mentioned about clarity yourself but also that it's the one thing other users call out. Still, a tremendous value, but I do think it's been overhyped in the official thread to a large degree and isn't on par with the absolute TOTLs available today. But again, it's $400, which is ridiculous for how good it actually is.

Seconded completely. Awesome for it's price and competes above what they seem to go for (also seems a bit picky with oi which is notable for anyone interested in nagging one) but it simply doesn't even make it to the race of totl conventional can (utopia/1266/sus) or estat detail much the less compete in it.

I 100% get the love but (as is tradition) I find a lot of claims in it's dedicated headfi thread exceptionally hyperbolic.

Jun 26, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #1,128 of 1,611
Yeah, it’s not touching the TOTL in clarity, but it’s good enough for most people standard. But again, in the subject of TOTL, it’s not on the same page. But, I will still take this headphone over a all of the TOTL today. It’s just a preference in its musical presentation.

I mention in it in a post on my reasons why

I heard a wise man once said, "My view on why people hear things differently and prefer different presentations, is that they don’t really hear things differently, but the value they place on differing parts of the presentation is weighted differently. Timbre might be important to me, but not so much to you." That person that said that is a genius and I highly respect his opinion when it comes to audio. In fact, he is the same person that sold me the EMM NS1 Streamer for a price that is too good to refuse. He and that group of people showed me the light on the importance of source material, "garbage in, garbage out", so I am grateful that I was able to engage in contact with that person and that group. So, my answer to your question on why I prefer the Onkyo A800 over $$$ headphones is that I prefer the Onkyo music presentation over the other headphones I own. I personally really enjoy how the Onkyo A800 presents my preference for music that contains the electric guitar, electric bass, drums, piano, and male/female vocals.
It really just comes to preference at the end of the day. I still agree with the statement that we all hear the same thing, it’s just we are all looking for different things on what we are hearing. With my preference of music, the Onkyo A800 just got the bill the most for me. It’s just my headphone preferred headphones for electric guitars and drums.

But on paper, it doesn’t compete with TOTL as you said.

Jun 26, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #1,129 of 1,611
Yeah, it’s not touching the TOTL in clarity, but it’s good enough for most people standard. But again, in the subject of TOTL, it’s not on the same page. But, I will still take this headphone over a all of the TOTL today. It’s just a preference in its musical presentation.

I mention in it in a post on my reasons why

It really just comes to preference at the end of the day. I still agree with the statement that we all hear the same thing, it’s just we are all looking for different things on what we are hearing. With my preference of music, the Onkyo A800 just got the bill the most for me. It’s just my headphone preferred headphones for electric guitars and drums.

But on paper, it doesn’t compete with TOTL as you said.

Yup! As @littlej0e just said in another thread.

Don't let anyone talk you out of your preferences. Ever.

Tangentially, something doesn't have to be the best in every single metric to be the best thing for you, and it's OK to recognize that

Jun 26, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #1,130 of 1,611
$18,000 vs $400
or
$6000 vs $400

Almost all estats are unnatural. This is not a exaggeration. Highs, wonky and strange.

Plywoodman $18,000 is next to highway robbery. No way this is justice. Plus, need another 10K amp for it to shine. Meh. Shine in what? Unnatural highs and brightness?

:p

Jun 26, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #1,131 of 1,611
$18,000 vs $400
or
$6000 vs $400

Almost all estats are unnatural. This is not a exaggeration. Highs, wonky and strange.

Plywoodman $18,000 is next to highway robbery. No way this is justice. Plus, need another 10K amp for it to shine. Meh. Shine in what? Unnatural highs and brightness?

:p
Nice way to dodge the critique. I don't disagree with this comment but it's not the claim you origonaly made that we were responding to.

Jun 26, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #1,132 of 1,611
@eskamobob1

I agree.

All I have to say is, this, all headphones are great. I remember @mulveling was puzzle with me when I said I love the Ath W10vtg and rank it in my top 3 woodies. LOL!

I actually don't even like ranks now, just have to keep up with the thread flow and post here and there it, but yeah, if we remove ranks, and top tier ideas. All headphones are equal in my eyes.

Jun 26, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #1,133 of 1,611
Now hold on. I will say this because I do owe Number1sixerfan one. He let me listen to his Shang Sr on the Grand Caymen and I will admit it was a amazing experience. Even if it’s a unnatural experience, it was still a one of a kind experience that no other headphone will let you experience. I didn’t care for 99% of the headphones at the show including the HE-1 (sorry, wasn’t a fan), but the Shang Sr did made a jaw drop. I would take the $18,000 Shang over the $50,000 HE-1 anyday.

Edit: sorry if I change subject, but couldn’t let the Shang Sr get bash like this.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #1,134 of 1,611
I got to try the Ultrasone 10, "The legendary mistake"

I actually like it LOL. It made me come to the conclusion above that, all headphones have a unique specialty in the frequency, hence all headphones are equal. No ranks, no top-tier ideas, just a fun unique sound.
:L3000:

Jun 26, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #1,135 of 1,611
I would take the $18,000 Shang over the $50,000 HE-1 anyday.

Yah, he-1 pricing is a bit of a piss take imo. It's an amazing system I seriously enjoyed, but even at the peak of my hype I realized you could probabaly build a system that would destroy it for a similar price if not even less.

That said, my opinion of He1 may be slightly colored by some recent issues I've had with one so maybe a pinch of salt? I'd realy like to hwvr it in house but I kinda suspect my current sus chain is on a very similar level to it after a quite extended demo of one (which included dac rolling it a bit which was awesome)

Jun 26, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #1,136 of 1,611
Not touching the cost debate, as I don't want to take away from the inflowing CanJam impressions and don't want the thread to get clogged. And everyone's impressions and reactions to the Shang Sr. spoke for itself, so no defense from me either on that note. :)

Let's get back to CanJam!

Although I was pretty surprised by many people's impressions of the HE-1, (expected people to be a bit more blown away than what the few people I know shared with me), I am absolutely kicking myself for not realizing they'd be there and to sign up for a slot. Would absolutely have loved to hear them.

On the flipside, it was really cool watching the reactions of the 5 or so people (which included a few people I don't know or have interacted with) that were able to try the Shangri-La Sr./Grand Cayman combo. And afterward, many of the things shared about it echoed my sentiments shared in this thread, so it was a cool confirmation that I'm not crazy lol.

It was also very interesting hearing just how differently everyone hears (obviously already knew this, but watching it unfold was interesting). As people were describing the HE-1, SGL Sr., and others, although there were a lot of aspects of the sound people could agree on, there was quite a bit of differences in how people described AND heard things. And I just think that's so paramount to keep in mind for the conversations that happen on here.

Jun 26, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #1,137 of 1,611
very interesting hearing just how differently everyone hears
And this for me concludes all headphones are equal and unique. I started appreciating them all as equals.

Jun 26, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #1,138 of 1,611

+1

Although I was pretty surprised by many people's impressions of the HE-1, (expected people to be a bit more blown away than what the few people I know shared with me), I am absolutely kicking myself for not realizing they'd be there and to sign up for a slot. Would absolutely have loved to hear them.

I got to spend nearly 30 min with the HE-1 (also heard it at CanJam NYC few months ago) and was blown away.

I still think the Gr Cayman and Shang Sr is better (though missed on chance to reaffirm it this time around) but I’ll say straight out that the HE-1 is truly exceptional. To my ears.

Jun 26, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #1,139 of 1,611
I got to spend nearly 30 min with the HE-1 (also heard it at CanJam NYC few months ago) and was blown away.

I still think the Gr Cayman and Shang Sr is better (though missed on chance to reaffirm it this time around) but I’ll say straight out that the HE-1 is truly exceptional. To my ears.

Yea I remember you and I know one other person I talked to as well that felt that way. And overall, I think everyone enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure in general I'd be impressed. I'm really most interested in just hearing how they differ from the HE90.

Jun 27, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #1,140 of 1,611
Yea I remember you and I know one other person I talked to as well that felt that way. And overall, I think everyone enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure in general I'd be impressed. I'm really most interested in just hearing how they differ from the HE90.

HE1 is a truly breathtaking system overall. I do agree that it isn't some unassailable panicle though (i've heard shang and sus both hit similar SQ tiers for that level of money). I look forward to getting some more time with the system in the future in a nice quiet place (and with a better dac). Honestly though, instead of those two, I think the biggest HE1 "competetor" (for me) is HE90. I heard it for the first time last week and even on sub-par chains from what I think is required to make shang and sus compete, HE90 gave me litteraly everything that made me love HE1 in the first place while removing basically my only two gripes (im not a mid-bass bump fan, and I thought depth separation was a little lacking for stuff like big band. Just to be absolutely fair though, I was using one hell of a dac for HE90 (big boy SW1X) and while I dont think its biased my opinions, I have had a little scuffle with HE1 recently that may be getting me a little down on it. Ultimately I think I just need to get HE1 in and bum another HE90 demo once Ive had more time to acclimate. Frankly, everything at this level is so astonishingly good its not like there is even a vaguely bad option and im just excited to play with the options some more in my home chain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back