Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Mar 18, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #991 of 1,545
yes, I hate it when only silver is offered.. why, oh why?
yeah black is a lot better. Luckily my incoming DAC looks very good in black 👌🏼

8631ACF4-0FBC-41E7-954B-014F1263439A.jpeg

82CA7A2E-FA90-43AC-805A-E6C45CBE5FA2.jpeg

Mar 18, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #992 of 1,545
yeah black is a lot better. Luckily my incoming DAC looks very good in black 👌🏼

8631ACF4-0FBC-41E7-954B-014F1263439A.jpeg

82CA7A2E-FA90-43AC-805A-E6C45CBE5FA2.jpeg

Only hearing good things about Lumin... but never tried.. please share impressions when you get it. Congrats :beerchug:

Mar 19, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #993 of 1,545
I love the Dave/Mscaler combo, but I certainly believe there is better out there.. especially if something can maintain the same resolution while adding a bit of weight and warmth. At times, especially in my stat system, the Chord chain can be a bit too analytical.
And what can you say about Eddie Current amp when it feeds by Dave? does it add warmth and musicality to the sound?

Mar 19, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #994 of 1,545
tried the Bartok headamp version and thought it was alright; nothing really blew me away and no wow moment. granted it was show conditions and not with headphones I preferred. I really need to try the Rossini some day but will likely regret doing so.
The internal headphone amp is the limiting factor with the Bartok. When I owned mine 3 years ago I was happy however not wowed when compared to my Linn Klimax DS. My dealer (who is well versed with the big 3 UK DAC's (dCS, Linn, Naim) suggested I bypass the internal ha amp and make my comparison using the same external amp (my GSX MK2). All of a sudden the Bartok was kicking at the heels of the Linn - enough so to have me demo a Rossini for my 2 channel system. That was a while ago and the Rossini immediately demoted the Linn to my headphone only system and the Rossini resides in my 2 channel one (after 12 years of using a Linn digital source)

APEX has simply blown everything out of the water. Early words are that Bartok APEX is impressive.

Mar 19, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #996 of 1,545
The Grand Cayman really is, both sonically and phyiscally.. it's massive

I've taken my Susvara to CanJam and tried many amps with it (I'm into a serious amp period:wink:). Some things I tried with the Susvara:

I found the Viva 845 very enjoyable. It wasn't actually the best, but it had a very fun and warm tube sound, wonderful sound stage and overall "tuby" feel. Not the best performing, and value to price is questionable. But definiltey fun.

The Zahl was a highly and deserves all the hype it got. Absolutely wonderful, super clear, effortless, and just beautiful sounding.

I thought the Bliss was overhyped. It's definitely very good. But I simply don't understand the reason for the gushing reviews. I like my CFA-3 (much) more, it provides more resoution and wider soundstage.

The Enleum R23 was very disappointing. Recessed and attentuated mid range. Everything acoustic and vocal (of which I have lots in rotation) sounded lacking. I supposed for EDM or other genres it's V shape may work well, but I thought it was not good at any price, to my taste.

Keep hearing the same things about the Zahl, sounds very interesting. Surprised to hear that about the Enleum, and I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a used unit. A recessed midrange is probably my biggest pet peeve, so glad I didn't.

Not to stir trouble guys, but 'Monsterzero' just put up his LAmp Atlantic TRP for sale... https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/lampizator-atlantic-trp.43646/#hfc-comment-65140 :)

Just saw that as well. Rare to see them pop up!

And what can you say about Eddie Current amp when it feeds by Dave? does it add warmth and musicality to the sound?

It's musical for sure. It's pretty transparent though, not really warm for a tube amp and definitely not in a "tubey" way. It also adds really nice slam and impact. Overall it is a mesmerizing amp. Mine came with electro harmonix tubes, I'm going to try WE300b's as they're known for their warmth, but I definitely don't want to lose the strong bass response either. But transparently, I would only buy the EC Studio B if you're buying it local. It does terrible with shipping, I've seen a lot of people go through the exact issues I had when mine was shipped. I feel like the amp is a total steal (paid $3200 for mine), but definitely would not buy it again if it had to be shipped to me.

---------

Haven't heard from the CFA3 seller, so not sure if that's going to pan out. Was going to use it behind the EC. I see another popped up on the boards, but really don't want silver gear given everything I have is black. May still inquire about it.

Mar 19, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #997 of 1,545
I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a used unit. A recessed midrange is probably my biggest pet peeve, so glad I didn't.

So was I..
and so am I…:wink:

Mar 19, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #998 of 1,545
The SGL Sr. off the Grand Cayman was the highlight of CanJam NYC for me. I was blown away by it. I find it hard to stomach an 18k purchase (though if I was rational, which I’m not, I should just offload 5-6 headphones and get it). I’m curious how close to it is the SGL Jr. and whether it would sound good off the Carbon or the iESL via speaker amps..
First off, congrats on snagging an iESL, a truly superb and versatile component! I encourage everyone potentially interested in one to visit the iESL Official Thread and vote "yes" on the poll there. If there's enough interest, iFi claims they may resume production.

iESL Official Thread

I agree with you and @number1sixerfan about the SGL being the king of headphones. For me, it's not particularly close, although I still haven't auditioned the Warwick offerings, and only heard the HE-1 briefly several years ago at CanJam LA. The good news is the iESL drives the SGL beautifully via a speaker amp, although I've not yet heard the SGL through a T2 or GC, so can't give an assessment of the relative merits of using a high-end dedicated estat amp vs. the iESL. The not so good news is that the SGL Jr. isn't really all that close in performance to the SGL. Don't get me wrong, the SGL Jr. is a wonderful headphone that I'm happy to own, but its early bass roll-off makes it a situational headphone for me. The SGL is a complete headphone which can handle any music, and it has stronger technicalities across the board vs. the Junior. Soundstaging and imaging on the SGL Jr. is excellent, but the SGL takes it to another level. The bottom line is that whenever I do pull the trigger on an SGL, the SGL Jr. will be sold without a second thought. FWIW.

Mar 19, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #999 of 1,545
First off, congrats on snagging an iESL, a truly superb and versatile component! I encourage everyone potentially interested in one to visit the iESL Official Thread and vote "yes" on the poll there. If there's enough interest, iFi claims they may resume production.

iESL Official Thread

I agree with you and @number1sixerfan about the SGL being the king of headphones. For me, it's not particularly close, although I still haven't auditioned the Warwick offerings, and only heard the HE-1 briefly several years ago at CanJam LA. The good news is the iESL drives the SGL beautifully via a speaker amp, although I've not yet heard the SGL through a T2 or GC, so can't give an assessment of the relative merits of using a high-end dedicated estat amp vs. the iESL. The not so good news is that the SGL Jr. isn't really all that close in performance to the SGL. Don't get me wrong, the SGL Jr. is a wonderful headphone that I'm happy to own, but its early bass roll-off makes it a situational headphone for me. The SGL is a complete headphone which can handle any music, and it has stronger technicalities across the board vs. the Junior. Soundstaging and imaging on the SGL Jr. is excellent, but the SGL takes it to another level. The bottom line is that whenever I do pull the trigger on an SGL, the SGL Jr. will be sold without a second thought. FWIW.
Thanks!

And, oy… that puts a very expensive target in my crosshairs, as I feared… 😱

Mar 20, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #1,000 of 1,545
IMG_6636.jpg

I am really horrible at taking valuable pics lol, but you get the idea. Spent today and the past few days comparing these three. Really great time, and I'm pretty much wrapped up for everything I intend to compare.

The SGL Sr. and Susvara wasn't anything new at all. I was reminded of why I sold the Susvara--not because the Sr. is 10x better than it or anything, but rather because they are voiced extremely similarly. Just too redundant. I may still spring for the Susvara again, but that was really apparent. What was also apparent is that because I've listened to the Sr. so much, which I do find easily better overall (which it absolutely should be given the price), that I think I was surprised this go round as to just how good the Susvara is. The price difference is really ridiculous lol, but I wouldn't give up the Sr. at all.

Both are pretty open and spacious, with really excellent imaging. The positioning of everything is similar, with the main differences being:

• SGL Sr. has increased clarity and resolution, by a pretty good degree--mainly I think due to the driver size. It has a "bigger", enveloping sound, with a bit better separation due to staging
  • The Sr. has better timbre, the weight of each instrument just seems so life like. The Susvara is also really good here, but just not at the same level. Easily one of my favorite traits of the Sr., and the best I've ever heard
  • The Susvara has a bit better bass impact. Might also have a bit more subbass, but a bit closer there. Although it's not by much overall, the bass improvement makes a difference with some genres for sure
  • The Susvara imo has the better tonality overall. I personally really love the tonality of each, but I think the Sr. could be too hot for some people in the treble during long sessions
  • The Sr. is quite a bit more open and spacious, and in a really cohesive way (compared to at times the x9000 sounding a bit artificially open in comparison, which is still a very excellent headphone)
The HE90 and Susvara comparison is a bit trickier, as they have a bit of a similarity in tone. I don't give the HE90 enough credit, it is one of the smoothest headphones you'll ever come across, and especially as a stat, while still being really technically proficient. Even so, it's not the most technically oriented stat. I think the 009 and the Susvara both clear it when it comes to resolution (keeping in mind they are both extremely resolving). That said, its main strengths are tonality, timbre, smoothness and completeness. Just a few small things to note:

• Susvara is more open and spacious, which to me, although I hear the same detail in the HE90, creates a sense of higher resolution, as everything is more highly identifiable
  • The HE90 has the better tonality overall, despite the Susvara being very good as well in this regard
  • HE90, similar to the SGL Sr. has a bit more life-like timbre--this to me is probably the only area despite amps (although, huge difference here between the GSX Mini and speaker amps driving it for example) that I think the Susvara could improve, but would not be welcoming if it meant losing it's air/lightweight feel
  • As just mentioned, the Susvara is more airy and I really like that about it. Very quick and lightweight feel, with tangible air.
  • Bass seems just a bit more authoritative and present on the Susvara
  • Both have an extremely good sense of "completeness", and very easy to get lost in and listen to
These two seem closer to equal and peers more than anything. I think the HE90 comes off as more unique (a warm and smooth tone, but highly capable stat is a bit rare), but the Susvara a bit more technically impressive. The thing with the Susvara that does bother me, and I don't know why lol, is that it doesn't really have a wow factor. Literally everything else does. The Utopia? It's bass impact and intimate presentation, Expanse? It's natural tone and resolution. The Sr.? It's huge sound, spacing and detail. Etc. etc... but bottom line, the Susvara is VERY good, and under $5k if I could only have one headphone, it would probably be it. (009 would be another contender for me, just a few issues in very long sessions given the brightness in the highs).

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #1,001 of 1,545
IMG_6636.jpg

I am really horrible at taking valuable pics lol, but you get the idea. Spent today and the past few days comparing these three. Really great time, and I'm pretty much wrapped up for everything I intend to compare.

The SGL Sr. and Susvara wasn't anything new at all. I was reminded of why I sold the Susvara--not because the Sr. is 10x better than it or anything, but rather because they are voiced extremely similarly. Just too redundant. I may still spring for the Susvara again, but that was really apparent. What was also apparent is that because I've listened to the Sr. so much, which I do find easily better overall (which it absolutely should be given the price), that I think I was surprised this go round as to just how good the Susvara is. The price difference is really ridiculous lol, but I wouldn't give up the Sr. at all.

Both are pretty open and spacious, with really excellent imaging. The positioning of everything is similar, with the main differences being:

• SGL Sr. has increased clarity and resolution, by a pretty good degree--mainly I think due to the driver size. It has a "bigger", enveloping sound, with a bit better separation due to staging
  • The Sr. has better timbre, the weight of each instrument just seems so life like. The Susvara is also really good here, but just not at the same level. Easily one of my favorite traits of the Sr., and the best I've ever heard
  • The Susvara has a bit better bass impact. Might also have a bit more subbass, but a bit closer there. Although it's not by much overall, the bass improvement makes a difference with some genres for sure
  • The Susvara imo has the better tonality overall. I personally really love the tonality of each, but I think the Sr. could be too hot for some people in the treble during long sessions
  • The Sr. is quite a bit more open and spacious, and in a really cohesive way (compared to at times the x9000 sounding a bit artificially open in comparison, which is still a very excellent headphone)
The HE90 and Susvara comparison is a bit trickier, as they have a bit of a similarity in tone. I don't give the HE90 enough credit, it is one of the smoothest headphones you'll ever come across, and especially as a stat, while still being really technically proficient. Even so, it's not the most technically oriented stat. I think the 009 and the Susvara both clear it when it comes to resolution (keeping in mind they are both extremely resolving). That said, its main strengths are tonality, timbre, smoothness and completeness. Just a few small things to note:

• Susvara is more open and spacious, which to me, although I hear the same detail in the HE90, creates a sense of higher resolution, as everything is more highly identifiable
  • The HE90 has the better tonality overall, despite the Susvara being very good as well in this regard
  • HE90, similar to the SGL Sr. has a bit more life-like timbre--this to me is probably the only area despite amps (although, huge difference here between the GSX Mini and speaker amps driving it for example) that I think the Susvara could improve, but would not be welcoming if it meant losing it's air/lightweight feel
  • As just mentioned, the Susvara is more airy and I really like that about it. Very quick and lightweight feel, with tangible air.
  • Bass seems just a bit more authoritative and present on the Susvara
  • Both have an extremely good sense of "completeness", and very easy to get lost in and listen to
These two seem closer to equal and peers more than anything. I think the HE90 comes off as more unique (a warm and smooth tone, but highly capable stat is a bit rare), but the Susvara a bit more technically impressive. The thing with the Susvara that does bother me, and I don't know why lol, is that it doesn't really have a wow factor. Literally everything else does. The Utopia? It's bass impact and intimate presentation, Expanse? It's natural tone and resolution. The Sr.? It's huge sound, spacing and detail. Etc. etc... but bottom line, the Susvara is VERY good, and under $5k if I could only have one headphone, it would probably be it. (009 would be another contender for me, just a few issues in very long sessions given the brightness in the highs).

Just.. wow

The Sr will be haunting my dreams for the foreseeable future… 🤪

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #1,003 of 1,545
Mar 22, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #1,004 of 1,545
Interesting comparison. The headphones in that picture are worth almost as much as an HE-1!

Also use it as somewhat of a savings fund, first sign of financial trouble and my gear definitely goes first lol. Unfortunately my company is one of the many tech companies going through layoffs actually right now, but fingers crossed on the job market if something does happen.

I think that ship has sailed for me, but that's a really cool offer. My dealer isn't local to me, so we don't ever do demos, need to find a dealer in Chicago to start building a relationship with, but that means buying more gear which I don't have a ton more needs for. But I think that's a cool offer. Thanks for sharing!!

Mar 22, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #1,005 of 1,545
Also use it as somewhat of a savings fund, first sign of financial trouble and my gear definitely goes first lol. Unfortunately my company is one of the many tech companies going through layoffs actually right now, but fingers crossed on the job market if something does happen.

Maybe we work for the same company, lol. I have a couple headphones I'd like to pick up, but I'm putting off major expenses for the time being.

I sometimes think about the total cost of my headphone and two-channel gear and think I should just focus on getting an HE-1, but I also really like having a bunch of different headphones to enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back