Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
May 19, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #466 of 1,516
Do you have both the Aeras and a T2? Could you please post some comparisons when you get a chance?
I heard both on two occasions one at CanJam and one at Kerry's apartment, but only have the Aeras myself. Here is my impression on T2 and Aeras.

May 19, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #467 of 1,516
Agree with all the assessment, except the SGL SR and HE60 which I haven't heard. What volume level are you listening at? For me on the Aeras 9-10 o'clock position is plenty of volume even at 9'o clock the decibels range from 75-85dB already with the 009S.

About 10 o'clock on my end. But I haven't measured the decibels at any point, but I would assume around 70-80. (trying to get better with not going too loud). But I will test the decibels when I do formal comparisons to make sure the volume is adjusted and accounted for as a factor.

Congrats on the Aeras, I really think highly of it and enjoyed it a lot. The 009 on it was my favorite pairing, just really synergistic overall.

Do you have both the Aeras and a T2? Could you please post some comparisons when you get a chance?

I do have both on hand, and will be able to keep them for a bit to compare and provide impressions. I also just got my Blue Hawaii back from headamp. They actually rebuilt the entire amp, with an upgraded power supply, so really looking forward to comparing it as well!

Again I won't get to the comparisons until I'm back in town, and I'll need at least two weeks to do enough due diligence in doing so. But stay tuned!

May 28, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #468 of 1,516
Got back home midweek, and I have the BHSE back and up and running. Major thanks to Headamp, they actually ended up rebuilding the entire amp, as it ended up being easier to do on their end. I had a pretty old unit.. so all new parts and entirely upgraded power supply.. we also ended up swapping out the color plates as well due to availability.. but really worked out nice because I was just drooling over pics of someone else's black unit.

So my Blue Hawaii is no longer gloss blue; it's now satin black. :sunglasses:

IMG_4597.jpg

Have been taking time to get reacquainted, so will finish up the weekend only listening to it.. and then next week I'll start comparing between the Aeras and T2. :)

May 28, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #469 of 1,516
Got back home midweek, and I have the BHSE back and up and running. Major thanks to Headamp, they actually ended up rebuilding the entire amp, as it ended up being easier to do on their end. I had a pretty old unit.. so all new parts and entirely upgraded power supply.. we also ended up swapping out the color plates as well due to availability.. but really worked out nice because I was just drooling over pics of someone else's black unit.

So my Blue Hawaii is no longer gloss blue; it's now satin black. :sunglasses:

IMG_4597.jpg

Have been taking time to get reacquainted, so will finish up the weekend only listening to it.. and then next week I'll start comparing between the Aeras and T2. :)
Too bad you’re not in Cali yet. I’m tempted to send you my Mjolnir Carbon for the full amp shoot out.

May 28, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #470 of 1,516
Too bad you’re not in Cali yet. I’m tempted to send you my Mjolnir Carbon for the full amp shoot out.

I actually am based in Cali. I'll be moving to Chicago later this year to be with the Mrs. :)

I thought about trying to secure one for loan. Then I got overwhelmed by how much testing I'll need to do lol. But I'm still open if someone would like to.

May 31, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #471 of 1,516
IMG_4626.jpg

IMG_4625.jpg

IMG_4628.jpg

ES-Labs ES-R10 and ES-1a arrived. Testing both of them out briefly, they each perform well above the price in comparison to the TOTL competition out there. As I thought, there's a lot of general similarities between the ES-R10 and the Audio Technica L3000 I own--bit more intimate sound of a closed back, very prominent and organic vocals and a euphoric lushness that is more unique to the OG TOTL headphones. I prefer the L3000's signature over the ES-R10, but will report back as there's more mental acclimation or physical burn in (again, not a huge believer in this beyond a minimal amount).

ES-1a is pretty impressive. It performs at a pretty high level technically. Although it may not come out on top, it definitely is in the general technical ability range of the 009, x9000 and others. Will need more time to really put in perspective against the others. Either way, an absolute steal for the price. If for some reason you can't snap an x9000, I would definitely look into these.

One of these will likely go, and it's probably going to be the ES-1a given all the stats I have. Also, I've been selling off gear and also liquidated/exited another hobby of mine. I'm definitely not buying new gear without compensating lol (just holding myself accountable here on prior posts made about downsizing lol)

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #472 of 1,516
I prefer the L3000's signature over the ES-1a, but will report back as there's more mental acclimation or physical burn in (again, not a huge believer in this beyond a minimal amount).
Thanks for the impressions and the great photos.

I'm guessing you meant ES-R10 instead of ES-1a?

Jun 1, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #473 of 1,516
Thanks for the impressions and the great photos.

I'm guessing you meant ES-R10 instead of ES-1a?

Yes! Great catch, will edit. The ES-R10 and L3000 are different, but they have a lot of loose similarities. And just for perspective, the L3000 is one of my favorite headphones ever. Probably second all time. And they also go for about $4k or so used when they pop up once a year or so. So the fact that the ES-R10 comes nearly close is a major compliment. Looking forward to giving it more time.

Jun 2, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #474 of 1,516
Yes! Great catch, will edit. The ES-R10 and L3000 are different, but they have a lot of loose similarities. And just for perspective, the L3000 is one of my favorite headphones ever. Probably second all time. And they also go for about $4k or so used when they pop up once a year or so. So the fact that the ES-R10 comes nearly close is a major compliment. Looking forward to giving it more time.
If you like the L3000.. keep your eyes peeled for something big in the near future from A-T :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 2, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #475 of 1,516
If you like the L3000.. keep your eyes peeled for something big in the near future from A-T :)

Very interesting.. please share more if you can, when you can. :)

Jun 7, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #476 of 1,516
Will be posting impressions on the BHSE and Aeras in the next few days. Spent a few weeks just going back and forth between them. Actually had a lot of fun doing so. All in all, this is just a really exciting time for stats.

Today I'm starting to compare the T2 with them both and will post thoughts on this a week or so out.

Jun 7, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #478 of 1,516
Will be posting impressions on the BHSE and Aeras in the next few days. Spent a few weeks just going back and forth between them. Actually had a lot of fun doing so. All in all, this is just a really exciting time for stats.

Today I'm starting to compare the T2 with them both and will post thoughts on this a week or so out.
don't make me buy more stuff

Jun 7, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #479 of 1,516
Jun 15, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #480 of 1,516
Finally sharing some initial thoughts on the Eksonic Aeras and Headamp Blue Hawaii SE after a few weeks of comparison. I’ve owned the BHSE for years now, initially for a few years w/the Woo Wes as a companion, and I’ve had an Aeras prototype possession for the past 3 or so months. I’ve been comparing the two for the past 3-4 weeks now. Breaking this up into parts or I’ll never get it out lol. This set of posts will cover the general sound signature and core aspects of the sound. It may sound a bit more vague, as I will get into more specifics in the next two parts, which will be: a) specific synergy comparisons w/HE60, CRBN, 007, 009, x9000, SGL Sr.; and 2) comparisons between the T2 and BHSE/Aeras.

Before really jumping in, I must say that both amps are truly impressive, and you can’t go wrong with either. To my ears they’re in the same tier of performance—which I would say is absolute TOTL and nearly endgame. They both excel in a lot of the same areas, but with a few key differences that will ultimately come down to user preference and headphone pairing & synergy. I could honestly live with either amp happily forever, but end the end, for my collection, there is one I would take over the other which I’ll share much later. 

Setup: Innuos USB Phoenix > Mscaler > Dave > BHSE/Aeras. For tubes, I’m using pretty standard tubes in each intentionally to replicate what one would expect right out of the box—Mullard EL34’s (copy of the 60’s tubes) in the BHSE and RCA 64SA’s in the Aeras.

I've used a wide array of genres for this test; acoustic, classical, jazz, classic rock, electronic, soul/funk, female vocal heavy (across genres).. but if I can find the time, I’d like to take a few song requests to give specific differences in performance. (a cool idea I got from @BassicScience's thread).

For reference, I currently have the DIY T2 (by Kerry), Aeras and BHSE on hand, which Iv'e been comparing over the past month. I've also had the Aeras for at least four months or so and have owned the BHSE and Woo Wes together for years. Prior to that I mainly used lower level stax amps with stats. Unfortunately I haven’t owned or heard the Carbon, so I can’t compare it. I know it’s known to be in this same tier, I just haven’t had the chance to come across it. So this isn't so end-all comparison, it's just of what I have and have experienced.

FYI, Aeras and BHSE impressions are going to be listed in alphabetical order, always starting with the Aeras—it isn’t due to bias or anything lol. I’ve been a huge fan of the BHSE for a LONG time, one of my favorite amps.. and I’ve been impressed by the Aeras since day 1—so big fan of both.

Lastly, I'm not a reviewer and I want to make that clear lol. There are people far more experienced in this hobby that can better express what they hear, are far more technically advanced, and/or far more qualified to actually be reviewers. I'm just an average head-fier sharing what I hear, my word is not golden--as always differing opinions and impressions are welcome in this very thread. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back