Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Dec 7, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #856 of 1,520
It was their latest revision, however, I was informed I should likely avoid them as their circuit stresses the filaments causing them to rip. So now I'm in limbo.
That's the first I have heard that I don't have a problem with either the Big7 Or pacific and never had anything like that
if you can get a demo do so before you dismiss the GG

Dec 7, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #857 of 1,520
That's the first I have heard that I don't have a problem with either the Big7 Or pacific and never had anything like that
if you can get a demo do so before you dismiss the GG
It was confirmed to be multiple models although it's obfuscated which versions as Lampizator was addressing the design issue.
I'm just not willing to take that risk knowing the pains between manufacturer accountability.

Hopefully you won't have issues with the tubes you're using.

Dec 8, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #858 of 1,520
It was confirmed to be multiple models although it's obfuscated which versions as Lampizator was addressing the design issue.
I'm just not willing to take that risk knowing the pains between manufacturer accountability.

Hopefully you won't have issues with the tubes you're using.
I have been using my b7 since 2016 with no issues, only recently using the pacific.
I get your concerns but you do get a 5year warranty if you buy used balance of the 5 years remaning is transferable.
I know that users aren't a fan of the elgrogs In lampiztors
I have a guad of 90 reissue WE as well as Cunningham engraved Globe 45s used in the B7
Best to buy what you are comfortable with.

Dec 8, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #859 of 1,520
I have been using my b7 since 2016 with no issues, only recently using the pacific.
I get your concerns but you do get a 5year warranty if you buy used balance of the 5 years remaning is transferable.
I know that users aren't a fan of the elgrogs In lampiztors
I have a guad of 90 reissue WE as well as Cunningham engraved Globe 45s used in the B7
Best to buy what you are comfortable with.
Well, context leading was around my interest in the GG, Pacific and Horizon.
What's alarming is they were working on solving the issue which I understand is upon start up but then dropped off.

I am not as concerned with the unit as servicing is available, however, I won't receive tube support which then becomes a costly dilemma.

Dec 8, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #860 of 1,520
Well, context leading was around my interest in the GG, Pacific and Horizon.
What's alarming is they were working on solving the issue which I understand is upon start up but then dropped off.

I am not as concerned with the unit as servicing is available, however, I won't receive tube support which then becomes a costly dilemma.
I get it, tubes aren't cheap.THe pacific has a slow start & runs the tubes at 25% you can also download owners manuals to look over

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #861 of 1,520
I get it, tubes aren't cheap.THe pacific has a slow start & runs the tubes at 25% you can also download owners manuals to look over
I also use TM300B which are tubes that are simply very difficult to acquire so I will have to reconsider where to go.

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #862 of 1,520
It's been a while since I've updated this thread, mainly because life has been insanely hectic lol. The great thing is I've completed the first part of the move, everything loaded up on my truck and headed to the midwest to be with my fiance. :)

Interestingly enough, after the truck picked up most of my things, I had a week without my TVs, my speaker system, and just about anything lol.. except for my Dave (no mscaler), T2, SGL Sr., R10, HE90 and x9000. All of which my most expensive gear that I'm simply not trusting on a moving truck. This gave me quite a bit of listening time--had multiple 5hr sessions that I haven't really had since the beginning of the pandemic.

A few thoughts to share from the experience..

-We really spend a LOT of money optimizing and perfecting things lol, which is totally cool and all a part of the hobby. In addition to not having the Mscaler or Phoenix, I also ended up packing some of my higher quality cables and having to run and get cheap cables temporarily, etc. and still, just blown away and lost in the fidelity of the system. Definitely a noticeable step below my usual system, but still just breath-taking. (I mean duh, still very high quality dac, amp and incredible headphones, but still, was interesting to reflect on)

-I had only a few nights with the x9000 before sending them to their new owner. Every time I put them on it's a pleasant experience. They are very relaxing lol, but more so, the unique spaciousness mainly from left to right is just unparalleled for the most part. Still definitely more soft however. If I can secure more head time that I've been getting lately (maybe 8hrs a week now), then I definitely want to own them again. If not (I have a hunch I'm going to have to pivot to speakers given my new joint life), then I likely won't, as I still prefer to grab the other three here first.

-The R10. Boy. I want to wait until I finish moving to assess again, but more and more these are just rising up the list. I think I prefer them overall to the HE90 now. I've always felt like the HE90 is a great balance between the more technically proficient SGL Sr. and the more emotionally mesmerizing R10, which is what I've loved about them most. And still do for that reason. But the R10 is just insanely good. It's like everything disappears. There is no experience like it, not even the SGL Sr. in that regard. The Sr1a, while totally different, has a small degree of this element, as the headphone feels like it disappears and the sound floats.. but it's the smoothness across the highs and mids and extreme realism overall that just pushes it forward. I continue to be impressed by these in a major way; this has been one of my most fulfilling purchases since the Shangri-la Sr--easily.

-The Sr. continues to be my favorite, with the R10 creeping up and the HE90 still up there as well. Nothing new to report there. The last thing is I'm eager to get back to the L3000 with the original pads once settled in my new space. I got this last pair with perforated Dekoni pads, which alters the sound pretty significantly compared to the stock pads I had--more clarity and transparency, but quite a bit less bass impact/presence and midrange. I just haven't gotten to it, but I think once I swap back, the L3000 will be back to owning a top slot in my head time, will do a detailed comparison post here once I do!

Happy New Year to all! Cheers. :)

Dec 31, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #864 of 1,520
You need to try the R10 with a good 300b amp one of my favorites

I have! That's what caused me to buy it in the first place. I heard it at a friends house on the Eddie Current Studio B, absolutely an amazing pairing. I'm still interested in picking one up or another 300b amp, but it will just have to wait for the time being due to other priorities right now. But I definitely know that I have some additional room to gain once I do. :)

Dec 31, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #866 of 1,520
happy new year, i think others will agree when i say this thread is a great read so thanks for that :dt880smile:

Thank you and thanks for reading and posting, I really appreciate that! :)

Dec 31, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #867 of 1,520
@number1sixerfan
Nice update - happy new year and congrats on the move :)
Yeah I can agree we often end up focusing too much time, money and energy on cables & small tweaks (power, digital, vibration control). These are changes which seem substantial some days (especially the FIRST day we plug them in), but can largely evaporate into thin air on other days. This itch is perhaps better and more satisfactorily satiated with tube or cartridge rolling (where applicable). There too my mood will love a tube one day and not so much the next, but at least I'm consistently and easily hearing the same kinds of changes there.

Some days I feel like liquidating a lot of expensive cables and enjoying a loom that is still crazy (by normal standards), but relatively more sane. But FOMO has always stopped me, so far! What has almost never let me down, is spending a lot of money on an amazing amp. A good amp renders so much musical pleasure, and elevates both its downstream and upstream partners. I listen loud so maybe that's more important for me lol. But I'm definitely feeling like team "amp first" here, these days. I recently upgraded to the next huge-er VAC tube monoblocks in my main 2ch, and holy crap!! I though 200 Watts/ch on 96dB / Watt Tannoys was overkill, but these new 300 Watts / ch monos are crushing the old amps lol.

* Actually I am kind of thinking about listing an expensive AQ WEL Signature interconnect or 2 - what a sales pitch I just wrote, haha.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #868 of 1,520
@number1sixerfan
Nice update - happy new year and congrats on the move :)
Yeah I can agree we often end up focusing too much time, money and energy on cables & small tweaks (power, digital, vibration control). These are changes which seem substantial some days (especially the FIRST day we plug them in), but can largely evaporate into thin air on other days. This itch is perhaps better and more satisfactorily satiated with tube or cartridge rolling (where applicable). There too my mood will love a tube one day and not so much the next, but at least I'm consistently and easily hearing the same kinds of changes there.

Some days I feel like liquidating a lot of expensive cables and enjoying a loom that is still crazy (by normal standards), but relatively more sane. But FOMO has always stopped me, so far! What has almost never let me down, is spending a lot of money on an amazing amp. A good amp renders so much musical pleasure, and elevates both its downstream and upstream partners. I listen loud so maybe that's more important for me lol. But I'm definitely feeling like team "amp first" here, these days. I recently upgraded to the next huge-er VAC tube monoblocks in my main 2ch, and holy crap!! I though 200 Watts/ch on 96dB / Watt Tannoys was overkill, but these new 300 Watts / ch monos are crushing the old amps lol.

* Actually I am kind of thinking about listing an expensive AQ WEL Signature interconnect or 2 - what a sales pitch I just wrote, haha.

Yea it's definitely an ever evolving situation. Although I've been content the past week, I'm sure when I get my full setup back I'll feel like I just upgraded my entire system lol. I'm a transducers first and amp/dac next kind of person, but definitely think all are critical. I do need to get more into tube rolling for my headphone (T2) and speaker (EVO 400), but I'm just a bit worried about going down that rabbit hole and spending all the money I have left lol

And I've always wanted a pair of mono blocks. I think that's next once I upgrade my 2ch system next year. :) edit* just saw the pic of your system in your sig, absolutely beautiful!

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #869 of 1,520
Well, I'm fully moved as of yesterday. The entire process has been hell, even with a good company. I should have sold everything (non-gear) and just started over lol. Anyways, I'll spare the details there, but the good news is that ALL of my most valuable gear made it safely (either shipped UPS 2 Day Air insured or carried on plane (headphones)). My T2, HE90/R10/L3000/SGL Sr., EVO 400, Dave etc. etc.

That was my biggest concern and I'm in good shape. This was the night before my delivery truck arrived, don't mind the somewhat unsafe and less than ideal setup here, I only spent an hour checking whether everything worked and packed back up to wait for my delivery truck a few days later, same barebones basic/stock cables as right before I left. I'll put my full system with the mscaler, power conditioner, etc. later this week in a second room which will be a small "audio room". Just really happy everything arrived safely.

IMG_5956.jpg
IMG_5957.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5958.jpg
    IMG_5958.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 14, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #870 of 1,520
Also, I ended up selling more gear than I needed to lol. And I'll also be getting reimbursed for my move considerably (few weeks delayed), I've been thinking about upgrading my Klipsch Heresys once I settle. I just don't have an ideal space tbh. The second bedroom is too small for really nice speakers, although I could force it. And the living room is huge (high rise loft apartment), 30x17x12, with wall to wall windows, so pretty awful actually lol.. but the Heresys do sound good enough in it (only in the sweet spot). Looking around for houses by the end of the year, so it's only temporary anyway.

I'm really focused on the Focal Kanta 2's. Saw some demos and read a lot up on them for a while. I'm interested in several others, the electrostatic speakers mentioned in this thread earlier, + KEF, Sonus Faber, etc., but these would also make the cut for my fiance's future living room lol. Everything else for the most part she'd rather have in my basement "man cave" lol. Anyways, just thinking out loud, I may not because again, the room has a lot of problems and I would like to save money lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back