Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Sep 2, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #706 of 1,507
TYVM for sharing thoughts about some uncommon and very cool headphones. Always a great read : ) :)

Thank you, and as always I appreciate you all reading. :)

Thanks and congrats. This is pretty much in line with the improvements I noticed when upgrading from the Aristaeus to Kerry's T2.

Thank you! And it's good to hear that it's pretty similar to what you found. Btw, does your HE60 get much head time with the other stats you have? When I actually plug them in and give them a go they sound amazing, but I just don't end up reaching for them all that often.

Sep 2, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #707 of 1,507
Hi everyone,

Althought I know some of you from other threads, it's my first time here. So, first all, hello!

I just read through this entire thread over the last couple of hours (all 48 pages of it) and it's been super enjoyable and informative. What a great forum.

I have some of the headphones mentioned. Sorry for the multiple nested replies, hopefully this is efficient 🙏

Happy to join the convo..

I consider Stax 007MK1 as the best headphone ever made. I like it more than HE90 and Omega.

I love the 007mk1 and it's one of my favouriate headphones. It's bass energy so unusual in the stax line. I don't find is the most technically proficient or best performing, but its tuning it's just so enjoyable. If there is an estat that makes you forget your gear and tap your foot, this is it... :)

only headphone recently that I largely disliked and was quite frustrated I bought was the LCD-5. For the price, just pretty bad and not comparable to other TOTLs.

I had the same impression. I demo-ed it both at CanJam NYC and CanJam Chicago, and just couldn't find an emotional connection to it. It's tunining to me is (with apologies to anyone who loves it!) somewhat bland

With the X9k, I can’t listen to more than a few tracks.

A few weeks in, my impression is a bit different - I find the X9k non-fatiguing and easy to listen to. I wonder if this relates to genre? I find its mids range lush and sound stage expansive with great imaging, but the bass is a tad saturated. Perhaps if one listened to lots of rock or other rhythmic music at a stretch?

I'm very curious about the Megatron /SRX9k pairing. With the Carbon it's a lot to digest over a long session

I enjoy the Carbon/X9k combination. I do tend to listen more to acoustics and vocals and I think that allows for very relaxing listening session on the X9k. But I have listened to @Kerry 's T2 and without doubt, it is better...

AT nailed it specifically on L3000. The shallow cups mean soundstage is limited, but everything else about them is glorious. Exceptionally well tuned

All this L3000 talk makes me so curious to hear it properly.

My L5000 wasn't so hot unfortunately - beautiful looks, but sounded too thin.

I have botht he L3000 and L5000.

I have swiched the pads of both to ZMF Universe Lambskin solid pads, and the change was incredibly - both in comfort and sound.

The L3000 soundstage certainly hasn't expanded, closed back, solid pads, and all - but it has become natural.

The L5000 design is so rigid that, unless you have a very speciifc head shape, the headphones will simply be to uncomfortable to wear and, most importantly, most people therefore don't get proper seal - which completely throws off the intended tuning of the headphone (resulting in shouty treble and low bass).

The pads I put on both, which are deep and lush, have made both headphones among the most comfortable I have (as comfortable as my Susvara).

And, criticlaly, the L5000 has transformed and became one of the best headphones I've ever heard. Extraordinarily well resolving, excelletn imaging, and really really well balanced tuning acrosst the board. Excelletn bass - more defined and crisp than the L3000. It supplanted my beloved Verite Closed as my best performing closed back headphone

they all are a bit more forward or neutral center, I guess I should say, in comparison to the x9000. The overall presentation of the x9000 is a bit more distant.

Compeltely agree. I've spent a lot of time this week comparing the Susvara and X9k, and one of the key difference I've found was along that dimension - the X9k seems laid back across the board, creating a slightly expanded soundstage (to my ears) and great imaging; while the susvara is definitely more mid forward and intimate. I still haven't decided which I like better, but I'm working on getting to know their relative strengths. My first impressions are that the Susvara has a cleaner and tigher bass, while the X9k just edged slight on mids and treble.

And I'm quite sure it sounds divine. I'm seriously jealous lol

It has somewhat similar (but to be clear absolutely not the same) magic to the midrange I experienced with the R10. Probably to a somewhat similar degree as the ES-R10. If I get a chance I'll try to compare the two a bit more directly.
it absolutely has something none of them have and that's just the euphoric magic nothing can match

I've recently taken my MDR-R10 and tried it on @hifixman 's AFC-10 (it's the AIC-10 without pre) - that combo was quite incredible. The synergies was awesome!

Petition to change this thread title to “Long impressions of every TOTL made”

As someone who's just read through the entire history of this thread... I agree :)

Valkyria is another I'd want to try one day

I tried it at both CanJam NYC and Chicago. It's a really unique headphone, built for live music reproduction - so if that's something you especially enjoy, it may be worth checking it out, or it's "cheaper" $6k cousin, the Pulsar (my detailed CanJacm Chicago write-up: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...s-thread-june-18-19-2022.963828/post-17016052 )

The foam damping was replaced

If there were one thing I'd do with my R10 it's exactly that - may I ask how/where have you done that? (I'm natuarlly afraid of any maintenance on that one)

Sep 6, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #708 of 1,507
Sep 7, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #709 of 1,507
I have both the L3000 and L5000.

I have swiched the pads of both to ZMF Universe Lambskin solid pads, and the change was incredibly - both in comfort and sound.

The L3000 soundstage certainly hasn't expanded, closed back, solid pads, and all - but it has become natural.

The L5000 design is so rigid that, unless you have a very speciifc head shape, the headphones will simply be to uncomfortable to wear and, most importantly, most people therefore don't get proper seal - which completely throws off the intended tuning of the headphone (resulting in shouty treble and low bass).

The pads I put on both, which are deep and lush, have made both headphones among the most comfortable I have (as comfortable as my Susvara).

Welcome to the thread my friend. :)

The seal issue is exactly what plagued the W5000. They have to know that it won't be optimal for most, seems like bad design to release them like that. However, you're saying the pads you put on them also helped with that issue as well?

I've recently taken my MDR-R10 and tried it on @hifixman 's AFC-10 (it's the AIC-10 without pre) - that combo was quite incredible. The synergies was awesome!

If there were one thing I'd do with my R10 it's exactly that - may I ask how/where have you done that? (I'm natuarlly afraid of any maintenance on that one)

I was really hoping to not need a separate amp for the R10 other than the Dave HP out, and mainly because their so efficient and to be cautious with the older drivers, but I'm convinced that it needs a good dedicated amp.

The damping was done by ES-Labs and purchased that way, and given my experience with their ES-R10 and their knowledge, I was pretty confident in purchasing. I would reach out if you need the work done--but you do have to ship overseas.

--------------

Haven't been on head-fi much recently, after working so much the past few months, decided to take a well needed weekend fishing trip over the labor day weekend. Outside of a few small system tweaks, I'm going to be focusing much more of my energy on music discovery rather than substantial new gear (again outside of the amp I land on for the R10).

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #710 of 1,507
Sep 7, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #711 of 1,507
you're saying the pads you put on them also helped with that issue as well?

Yes!!

The ZMF pads resulted in: (1) the L5000 transformed from uncomfortable and bad-fitting to one of the most comfortable headphones I ever put on my head!, (2) as a result - the shouty and bass light tuning I incorreclty perceived earlier, which in retrospect was (as I'm guessing for most) entirely a result of lack of proper seal, also transformed - the L5000 is one of the best headphones I've ever heard - gorgeously tuned, beautiful and extremely well-defined bass, and oustanding resolution. It is, bottom line, one of the best headphones I've had.

Using the same pads on the L3000 I got the same level of upgrade comfort (though the issue of fit and seal wasn't there to begin with, but the deeper pads a real joy). And also, bass is more defined with new ZMF pads.

The damping was done by ES-Labs

thanks! shipping will be hard to come to terms with, but I guess one day I will take that leap...

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #712 of 1,507
Had an excellent lengthy session last night. 009/HE90/SGL Sr./R10/007/x9000, in that order.

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 8.50.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 8.53.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 8.49.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 8.57.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 9.12.55 AM.png

Also, I'm ready to update my overall rankings from the very beginning of the thread, will do so once back from my next trip. I'll do so in multiple categories, should be interesting and a lot of fun. :)

Sep 11, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #714 of 1,507
Great to know and will enjoy learning some new albuns.. Re the ranking update, anything less extensive than Battle Of The Flagships thread is unacceptable!

Lol I'm absolutely not going to be able to compete with that!

Sep 23, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #715 of 1,507
Actively working on two sets of ranking. Having some awesome sessions along the way. Just two observations for now:

1) The top two are very clear and evident for me. SGL SR. at #1 and the Sennheiser HE90 at #2. I could absolutely sell everything and just live with these two forever. Each are so excellent, both in the confirmed 'best I've ever heard category', and yet so different from each other.. (fyi R10 at #3 and x9000 at #4 would be next for me, with much of the rest a much harder crap shoot)

2) For the 10th time lol, the single greatest thing about the T2 is how it makes every single headphone sound its absolute best ever. I've been rediscovering the 007 and 009 both with it and they are both just truly sublime with it. Same for a evening session I had two days ago with the HE60. Each time you revisit the T2 with a headphone you've given a bit of time off, it just surprises you every time.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #716 of 1,507
Actively working on two sets of ranking. Having some awesome sessions along the way. Just two observations for now:

1) The top two are very clear and evident for me. SGL SR. at #1 and the Sennheiser HE90 at #2. I could absolutely sell everything and just live with these two forever. Each are so excellent, both in that confirmed 'best I've ever heard category' and yet so different from each other.. (fyi R10 at #3 and x9000 at #4 would be next for me, with much of the rest a much harder crap shoot)

2) For the 10th time lol, the single greatest thing about the T2 is how it makes every single headphone sound its absolute best ever. I've been rediscovering the 007 and 009 both with it and they are both just truly sublime with it. Same for a evening session I had two days ago with the HE60. Each time you revisit the T2 with a headphone you've given a bit of time off, it just surprises you every time.
Such a shame the SGL wasn’t built as well as the Srx9k and wasn’t priced so insanely

Sep 23, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #717 of 1,507
Such a shame the SGL wasn’t built as well as the Srx9k and wasn’t priced so insanely

Ehh.. nobody listens to build quality lol

And on the price point, I can say with confidence that there are many people here with (2-3) $3-5k headphones that they could easily have 2-3x the performance of by just going with a single SGL Sr. It is quite simply that much ahead of the pack..

Sep 23, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #718 of 1,507

And on the price point, I can say with confidence that there are many people here with (2-3) $3-5k headphones that they could easily have 2-3x the performance of by just going with a single SGL Sr. It is quite simply that much ahead of the pack..
Facts. I pretty much only listen to my SGL and TCs now. If I didn’t listen to so much hip-hop, I could maybe be fine with only owning the SGL. It really is that good. It’s just not great with sub bass quantity, so the TCs are needed as well for me personally.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #719 of 1,507

I’m talking about how the SGL sr. is built so terribly that they grow mold. Most owners have reported needing to get a replacement in year 2.
How long have you owned yours for ?

Sep 23, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #720 of 1,507
I’m talking about how the SGL sr. is built so terribly that they grow mold. Most owners have reported needing to get a replacement in year 2.
How long have you owned yours for ?
Most is a stretch. I only recall seeing one person say that

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back