Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Aug 18, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #691 of 1,507
Also looking to swap out my Primaluna EVO 400 integrated speaker amp for something more convenient and also more friendly for lower impedance headphones.

Riviera aic-10 runs LCD-R directly. Just sayin 😘

Aug 18, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #692 of 1,507
Riviera aic-10 runs LCD-R directly. Just sayin 😘

And I'm quite sure it sounds divine. I'm seriously jealous lol

It has somewhat similar (but to be clear absolutely not the same) magic to the midrange I experienced with the R10. Probably to a somewhat similar degree as the ES-R10. If I get a chance I'll try to compare the two a bit more directly.

Aug 20, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #694 of 1,507
Petition to change this thread title to “Long impressions of every TOTL made”

Hey now. I can think of at least 1 totl not listed here....

Aug 20, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #696 of 1,507
"Battle of the flagships 2?"...j/k. Number1sixerfan (and maybe Torq) may be in best position to take that mantle, but i think David mentioned that list took a toll on his health, so wouldn't wish that on Richard.

Love the journey/impressions format though and wouldn't want that to change. All flagships are one of a kind!

Aug 21, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #697 of 1,507
Hey now. I can think of at least 1 totl not listed here....

For now… but it’s clear every stone will be turned 👹

"Battle of the flagships 2?"...j/k. Number1sixerfan (and maybe Torq) may be in best position to take that mantle, but i think David mentioned that list took a toll on his health, so wouldn't wish that on Richard.

Love the journey/impressions format though and wouldn't want that to change. All flagships are one of a kind!

Lol I'm nearly done here, at least as far as it goes for acquiring new gear to compare. I think the headphone I wish I had the chance to hear is the Qualia, although I suspect it wouldn't necessarily be up there with the best of the best for me. Also, I've owned the HP1000 quite a few times, don't really see myself ever buying a pair again, but would have loved to compare to the newer TOTLs.

But thanks for the kind words. I'm not coming for any mantle, so Purk, Tork, Protoss, yourself and the rest, you all got it! In a couple years I don't think I'll be able to give much time to headphones and will offload most of everything, just want to over-indulge and enjoy it for now. :)

But point absolutely taken on the name of the thread lol. I'll figure something out and revise.

Aug 21, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #698 of 1,507
Should also mention that there are some present day TOTLs I'd love to hear although I doubt I'll get the chance. The Warwick Aperio seems to be extremely well received.. but definitely out of my price league lol. The Valkyria is another I'd want to try one day. And the HE-1.. unfortunately I found out the SF Sennheiser flagship store has been closed, so there goes my chance to hear them as well.

Not sure if I'm missing anything else, but would assume so. But again, outside of what I've already bought, I won't be buying anything else on that type of level given current contentment. If others own or get to spend a good amount of time with any of the above, definitely feel free to post impressions here. :)

Aug 24, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #699 of 1,507
T2 modded for HE90 use is on the way back to me. I can't wait to report back. Should have early impressions by next week.

BHSE did excellent justice standing in while sending it in, amazing with the 009 and x9000 in particular. With the SGL Sr., not so much. There's quite the gap between the pairing and it and the T2. Similarly, the 007 as well.. neither should be fully evaluated critically unless amplified to that degree. This experience has triple confirmed that for me 100%. More updates to come..

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #700 of 1,507
T2 modded for HE90 use is on the way back to me. I can't wait to report back. Should have early impressions by next week.

That was very significantly faster than I expected. I look forward to your impressions!

Aug 25, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #701 of 1,507
That was very significantly faster than I expected. I look forward to your impressions!

Insanely fast. I certainly expected to be without my amp for months potentially. But @Kerry was awesome in turning it around so quickly. I'm definitely grateful.

Aug 31, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #702 of 1,507
Warning, long post. Sorry in advance for the rambling. :)

As always, you all know I like to take my time in making assessments, so I can spend ample time getting to know new gear or changes in the system. I've been spending the past week with the T2 modded for the HE90. I spent three long sessions just listening to the combo without any comparison, and the last few days flipping back and forth between it and the Stax T1s. The other change worth noting is that I also have been using PSVANE new production EL34 tubes Kerry sent and they sound pretty good--still too early to say much in comparison to my NOS metal bases, but will be making comparisons at a later point.

Tonight I'm swapping back to the NOS tubes to see if anything major sticks out there as well.. but for now, there's two main things that stick out in a major way with the T2 and the T1s:

1) With the T2, the HE90 just opens up incredibly. It's much more spacious and has more of that stat layering that they're known for. If you've followed my posts, that's really important to me and is the bread and butter, along with airiness and detail.

2) The bass impact is noticeably stronger and the texture improved, with a greater sense of accuracy. This is impressive because I actually was pretty impressed by how the HE90's bass performed with the T1s. Just about anything you plug into the T2, you can expect an improved bass response.

More in depth impressions to share once I've spent more time. But right now, these are the two areas that have consistently stuck out in a major way. The other thing worth noting is that with the T2 there is insane smoothness, just a great pairing--and while the T2 has great tonality and synergy with everything I've thrown at it, the HE90 also meshed well with the T1s in this regard and I think may be more of a testament of the HE90's amazing tonality overall. I think you could plug it into just about anything and that aspect would impress.

IMG_5123 (1).jpg

Again, along the same lines as above on why I wait to share thoughts... I also recently acquired a Sony MDR-10. I've had it for I think about a month? lol. I haven't said anything because 1) I've felt so guilty for spending half of the money I've gotten back selling gear immediately on this lol. Seriously, I've felt terrible about it lol, and I'm selling more gear to make up for it.. and most importantly 2) I wanted to be sure that I heard the same magic I heard when I auditioned Van's set just a month ago. We talked a lot about the variance between pairs and I was just absolutely enamored by his set.

Thankfully, I quickly had the same exact experience with the set I bought. The seller was reputable, extremely knowledgeable and we had a really extensive conversation about the state of the headphones. The foam damping was replaced, without any other changes. The physical state is a 8/10 I would say, mainly in really great shape with just a few nicks (one on the right cup and one the metal connection to the cups). The price was already fair, but worked on that further due to the cup mark, and when I sell them, I'll sell just as reasonably. But all of that aside... the sound. It is just immaculate. Incredible midrange magic, amazing vocals and just a feeling while listening that's really hard to articulate.

The HE90 really leans into that lush intimate and natural tone and sound that the OG TOTLs are known for, the R10 takes that even further. But not without fault. They are absolutely bass light lol, which I made total peace with the day I heard them at Van's. He explained to me that the bass heavy versions he has heard (he's owned/heard over like 13 pairs I believe) take away from the strengths they're known for, which entirely resonates with me--hence the 009, HE60, Sr1a ownership and appreciation. The other thing I would mention is that similar to the HE90 (although to a much lesser degree to it), other TOTL headphones of today do perform at a higher technical level from a spacial information perspective. The 009, easily more detail and airiness.. Sr1a? Easily more spacious and holographic. SGL Sr. and x9000? Don't even get me started lol. But.. it absolutely has something none of them have and that's just the euphoric magic nothing can match, not even the HE90. Out of all of those mentioned, the SGL Sr. comes closest, but still it's just not the same. But it's all a game of tradeoffs.

Lastly, I actually have spent a LOT of time comparing the ES Labs ES-R10 to the Sony legend. I haven't written anything up, but I'm sure I will. But two things are very clear to me: 1) ES-Labs needs to be commended on their replica. If you can, I would go grab a pair right now. I would say they come 80-85% close to the original; 2) The Sony MDR-R10 has a midrange lushness and realism that the ES Labs version just can't match despite how close it comes to the overall presentation. That's all I'll say for now. (FYI, I've been using them both from the Chord Dave. I have done some testing and don't think the Dave is optimal for either. I'm on the fence of ordering an EC Studio B. For reference, the original R10 is harder to drive)

IMG_5105.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #703 of 1,507
Sony MDR-R10 to the right and ES Labs ES-R10 to the left in the above pic for ultra clarity.

Aug 31, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #704 of 1,507
Warning, long post. Sorry in advance for the rambling. :)

As always, you all know I like to take my time in making assessments, so I can spend ample time getting to know new gear or changes in the system. I've been spending the past week with the T2 modded for the HE90. I spent three long sessions just listening to the combo without any comparison, and the last few days flipping back and forth between it and the Stax T1s. The other change worth noting is that I also have been using PSVANE new production EL34 tubes Kerry sent and they sound pretty good--still too early to say much in comparison to my NOS metal bases, but will be making comparisons at a later point.

Tonight I'm swapping back to the NOS tubes to see if anything major sticks out there as well.. but for now, there's two main things that stick out in a major way with the T2 and the T1s:

1) With the T2, the HE90 just opens up incredibly. It's much more spacious and has more of that stat layering that they're known for. If you've followed my posts, that's really important to me and is the bread and butter, along with airiness and detail.

2) The bass impact is noticeably stronger and the texture improved, with a greater sense of accuracy. This is impressive because I actually was pretty impressed by how the HE90's bass performed with the T1s. Just about anything you plug into the T2, you can expect an improved bass response.

More in depth impressions to share once I've spent more time. But right now, these are the two areas that have consistently stuck out in a major way. The other thing worth noting is that with the T2 there is insane smoothness, just a great pairing--and while the T2 has great tonality and synergy with everything I've thrown at it, the HE90 also meshed well with the T1s in this regard and I think may be more of a testament of the HE90's amazing tonality overall. I think you could plug it into just about anything and that aspect would impress.

IMG_5123 (1).jpg

Again, along the same lines as above on why I wait to share thoughts... I also recently acquired a Sony MDR-10. I've had it for I think about a month? lol. I haven't said anything because 1) I've felt so guilty for spending half of the money I've gotten back selling gear immediately on this lol. Seriously, I've felt terrible about it lol, and I'm selling more gear to make up for it.. and most importantly 2) I wanted to be sure that I heard the same magic I heard when I auditioned Van's set just a month ago. We talked a lot about the variance between pairs and I was just absolutely enamored by his set.

Thankfully, I quickly had the same exact experience with the set I bought. The seller was reputable, extremely knowledgeable and we had a really extensive conversation about the state of the headphones. The foam damping was replaced, without any other changes. The physical state is a 8/10 I would say, mainly in really great shape with just a few nicks (one on the right cup and one the metal connection to the cups). The price was already fair, but worked on that further due to the cup mark, and when I sell them, I'll sell just as reasonably. But all of that aside... the sound. It is just immaculate. Incredible midrange magic, amazing vocals and just a feeling while listening that's really hard to articulate.

The HE90 really leans into that lush intimate and natural tone and sound that the OG TOTLs are known for, the R10 takes that even further. But not without fault. They are absolutely bass light lol, which I made total peace with the day I heard them at Van's. He explained to me that the bass heavy versions he has heard (he's owned/heard over like 13 pairs I believe) take away from the strengths they're known for, which entirely resonates with me--hence the 009, HE60, Sr1a ownership and appreciation. The other thing I would mention is that similar to the HE90 (although to a much lesser degree to it), other TOTL headphones of today do perform at a higher technical level from a spacial information perspective. The 009, easily more detail and airiness.. Sr1a? Easily more spacious and holographic. SGL Sr. and x9000? Don't even get me started lol. But.. it absolutely has something none of them have and that's just the euphoric magic nothing can match, not even the HE90. Out of all of those mentioned, the SGL Sr. comes closest, but still it's just not the same. But it's all a game of tradeoffs.

Lastly, I actually have spent a LOT of time comparing the ES Labs ES-R10 to the Sony legend. I haven't written anything up, but I'm sure I will. But two things are very clear to me: 1) ES-Labs needs to be commended on their replica. If you can, I would go grab a pair right now. I would say they come 80-85% close to the original; 2) The Sony MDR-R10 has a midrange lushness and realism that the ES Labs version just can't match despite how close it comes to the overall presentation. That's all I'll say for now. (FYI, I've been using them both from the Chord Dave. I have done some testing and don't think the Dave is optimal for either. I'm on the fence of ordering an EC Studio B. For reference, the original R10 is harder to drive)

IMG_5105.jpg
TYVM for sharing thoughts about some uncommon and very cool headphones. Always a great read : ) :)

Sep 2, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #705 of 1,507

Thanks and congrats. This is pretty much in line with the improvements I noticed when upgrading from the Aristaeus to Kerry's T2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back