Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Aug 8, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #646 of 1,507
There's a user on here who believes that the all-tube Novem is the best amp for the SRX9k, not an ultra powerful T2/carbon etc.
I'm very curious about the Megatron /SRX9k pairing. With the Carbon it's a lot to digest over a long session ... just like the SR009S was.
I’m not sure about power since the T2 is also a very delicate amp and provides power only when it’s called for. (The Megatron is very powerful too AFAIK). But an all-tube amp to compensate for the sharp edges and shouty highs of the modern Stax cans (X9k to a lesser extent) makes sense.

Which reminds me of the Grand Cayman that is supposedly being resuscitated.
So much new and cool stuff. Great times for stats.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #647 of 1,507
The L3000 is incredible and divinely unique. Although imperfect, nothing like it. I'd buy it for a fourth time if I had to.
Those closed wood cup dynamics can have quite some charm, can't they? So many ways these kinds of headphones can go bad (fatiguing, bad tonality, horrible FR balance), but AT nailed it specifically on L3000. The shallow cups mean soundstage is limited, but everything else about them is glorious. Exceptionally well tuned, clearly by a consummate music lover. WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT GUY, Audio-Technica?? He disappeared from all their other wood releases.

Also really like the ES-R10 - you should try those sometime. Really proves what a wonderful effect deep wood cups has on the soundstage. The Zelkova wood is amazing - a timbre that simply can't be replicated by tubes or other woods. I even still kind of like the JVC DX1000 sometimes, with deeper wood cups than AT ever ventured into, and this reaps rewards on its soundstage - unfortunately the bass is just ridiculous, like they spliced basshead cannons onto an otherwise audiophile headphone (nice mids & treble).

Aug 8, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #648 of 1,507
I’m not sure about power since the T2 is also a very delicate amp and provides power only when it’s called for. (The Megatron is very powerful too AFAIK). But an all-tube amp to compensate for the sharp edges and shouty highs of the modern Stax cans (X9k to a lesser extent) makes sense.

Which reminds me of the Grand Cayman that is supposedly being resuscitated.
So much new and cool stuff. Great times for stats.
On T2, I find the 009 to be plenty warm and smooth. It really eliminates any issues I had with tonality and brightness on other amps. The early KGSShv minis and KGSShv Carbon were the worst offenders at exacerbating the problem and making 009 hard to listen to for a session. 009S or 007 for those amps (or ES-1a), IMO. Then again the Sanyo KGSShv was almost too warm and smooth again, so it's not just a tube thing.

Aug 8, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #649 of 1,507
On T2, I find the 009 to be plenty warm and smooth. It really eliminates any issues I had with tonality and brightness on other amps.
Totally agree with this. I didn't like the 009 on the BHSE. This has changed with T2.

Aug 8, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #650 of 1,507
Aug 8, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #652 of 1,507
Aug 8, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #653 of 1,507
Was it enough that tubes would not have changed this?
Good question, but I may not be in the best position to answer that. I never rolled any tubes with the BHSE, but it's my understanding that due to the nature of the amp (mostly just solid state with only a tube output stage), changing tubes has but a small impact on the sound. I certainly can't imagine liking the 009 on the BHSE. Then again, I never thought the T2 could make me like the 009, let alone prefer it over the 007. YMMV.

Aug 8, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #654 of 1,507
Was it enough that tubes would not have changed this?
Tube rolling helped a little, but not nearly enough - it's like an order of magnitude off. I liked the 009 on BHSE, but only because I REALLY like the 009, warts and all. T2 dissolves the warts.

British Mullard are the warmest EL34, but they're actually TOO tonally warm, almost wooly at times (IMO) so that you end up sacrificing clarity, detail, and microdynamics (at least on xf3 and xf4 models) - and that kind of kills what the 009 are good for. Amperex / Holland brown base EL34 were more neutral tubes, didn't help the 009 tonality much, but still better overall for the BHSE / 009 combo. You still have to really like the 009 as-is.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #655 of 1,507
The Omega is certainly related to the 007, but quite different at the same time.
Basically, all Stax flagships stand on their own, despite sharing some similarities between them.

Agree here. There are some similarities across most of them, but they are each uniquely different. That's part of what makes their lineup so polarizing. There really aren't linear upgrades, and people will prefer what they prefer based mainly on preferences.

So true. I usually listen to 2 or 3 albums in a row in each listening session with the HE90. So engaging and non-fatiguing.

With the X9k, I can’t listen to more than a few tracks. Definitely not a whole album.

Gotcha. If the x9000 is bright to your ears, I don't think you'd want the SGL Sr. Although it improves on timbre and sounds more natural to me, it definitely has more energy and is also more forward.

Those closed wood cup dynamics can have quite some charm, can't they? So many ways these kinds of headphones can go bad (fatiguing, bad tonality, horrible FR balance), but AT nailed it specifically on L3000. The shallow cups mean soundstage is limited, but everything else about them is glorious. Exceptionally well tuned, clearly by a consummate music lover. WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT GUY, Audio-Technica?? He disappeared from all their other wood releases.

Also really like the ES-R10 - you should try those sometime. Really proves what a wonderful effect deep wood cups has on the soundstage. The Zelkova wood is amazing - a timbre that simply can't be replicated by tubes or other woods. I even still kind of like the JVC DX1000 sometimes, with deeper wood cups than AT ever ventured into, and this reaps rewards on its soundstage - unfortunately the bass is just ridiculous, like they spliced basshead cannons onto an otherwise audiophile headphone (nice mids & treble).

Yea, definitely a more intimate soundstage, but definitely has midrange magic that only a few have. And I have the ES-R10 :) I do prefer the L3000, but they both have totally different presentations. The ES-R10 is really good, and especially for the price.

Aug 8, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #656 of 1,507
Tube rolling helped a little, but not nearly enough - it's like an order of magnitude off. I liked the 009 on BHSE, but only because I REALLY like the 009, warts and all. T2 dissolves the warts.

British Mullard are the warmest EL34, but they're actually TOO tonally warm, almost wooly at times (IMO) so that you end up sacrificing clarity, detail, and microdynamics (at least on xf3 and xf4 models) - and that kind of kills what the 009 are good for. Amperex / Holland brown base EL34 were more neutral tubes, didn't help the 009 tonality much, but still better overall for the BHSE / 009 combo. You still have to really like the 009 as-is.
Thanks.

Aug 8, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #657 of 1,507
On T2, I find the 009 to be plenty warm and smooth. It really eliminates any issues I had with tonality and brightness on other amps. The early KGSShv minis and KGSShv Carbon were the worst offenders at exacerbating the problem and making 009 hard to listen to for a session. 009S or 007 for those amps (or ES-1a), IMO. Then again the Sanyo KGSShv was almost too warm and smooth again, so it's not just a tube thing.

Totally agree with this. I didn't like the 009 on the BHSE. This has changed with T2.

Yup, this was my experience as well. Also the same is true for the Aeras. Can only speak to the BHSE, but definitely the 009 is just brighter on it (but also with a ton of air and great transparency)

Also, as I mentioned in the other stax thread, sensitivity to brightness is so individual, it just really depends on the person. For me, there's barely any brightness with the 009 and T2, and even less so with the x9000 to my ears. But for some, I know that's different and subsequently, warmer headphones are preferred overall.

Good question, but I may not be in the best position to answer that. I never rolled any tubes with the BHSE, but it's my understanding that due to the nature of the amp (mostly just solid state with only a tube output stage), changing tubes has but a small impact on the sound. I certainly can't imagine liking the 009 on the BHSE. Then again, I never thought the T2 could make me like the 009, let alone prefer it over the 007. YMMV.

Tube rolling doesn't really change this imo. It generally just has more of a solid state sound. I've only had brightness issues with the 009, but even then still enjoyed the pairing due to the insane detail, openness and layering. But still, absolutely much better on the T2. Without question.

Aug 8, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #658 of 1,507
I know there aren't many RSA A-10 amps out there, 26, but has anyone tried the new stax or others on this amp? Or the latest version of the LTA Z10e?

Aug 8, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #659 of 1,507
Aug 8, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #660 of 1,507
Yup, this was my experience as well. Also the same is true for the Aeras. Can only speak to the BHSE, but definitely the 009 is just brighter on it (but also with a ton of air and great transparency)

Also, as I mentioned in the other stax thread, sensitivity to brightness is so individual, it just really depends on the person. For me, there's barely any brightness with the 009 and T2, and even less so with the x9000 to my ears. But for some, I know that's different and subsequently, warmer headphones are preferred overall.

Tube rolling doesn't really change this imo. It generally just has more of a solid state sound. I've only had brightness issues with the 009, but even then still enjoyed the pairing due to the insane detail, openness and layering. But still, absolutely much better on the T2. Without question.
The BHSE does indeed have a more SS sound overall, with a touch of tube sound. And if you're going to "touch" a SS sound with tubes, EL34 is an excellent choice - always a great sounding tube. Not that SS type sound is necessarily a bad thing - just that it won't morph the 009 to be more generally palatable :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back