Vintage/Current R2R DAC Owners Discussion, Insight, and Review Thread
Feb 28, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #1,051 of 1,111
Great review on the Mojo Audio Mystique V.3, congratulations to @MojoAudio !

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #1,054 of 1,111
Mar 31, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #1,055 of 1,111
So someone just picked up a long-searched EAD DSP-7k mkIII this week and got it up and running this morning. Thing is old but it can still play! Loving the tonal density and weight of this unit! (Not to mention the physical weight at 20lbs!)

Anybody else playing the EAD DAC game?

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #1,056 of 1,111
So someone just picked up a long-searched EAD DSP-7k mkIII this week and got it up and running this morning. Thing is old but it can still play! Loving the tonal density and weight of this unit! (Not to mention the physical weight at 20lbs!)

Anybody else playing the EAD DAC game?

I’m never going to let go (well, never say never) my Monarchy, though it is safe to say I’ll never return to Δς.

Mar 14, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #1,058 of 1,111
Here is a sweet little unit I though of trying - TDA541A and 6922 tubed output. Looks very well made for $579.

Muji DAC Digtal Analog Converter TDA 1541+SAA7220P/B PCC88 tube

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Muji-DA...-PCC88-tube-/261709677962?hash=item3cef1cc58a

I've just received an Muji Studio DAC II, will receive the 240v to 110v step down transformer so I can power it up on Monday. If interested I could share feedback on that DAC, see how it compares with my Gieseler Groß DAC + Kraftwerk Linear Power Supply (a DAC that's bested the PS Audio DirectSteam in a number of head to heads).

Without powering it on I was initially surprised at how big and heavy it is. Not a plus as I lugged it home on public transport. Still it feels solid and appears very well built. The only thing I don't much like is some print on the face plate where it states "Collect only good sound" and 'Stereo Integrated Amplifier"... Not a deal breaker though stupid. It's a DAC, not an integrated amp. The Chingrish with regards to sound, strangely didn't worry me so much as the incorrect classification. I'll remove with some mineral turpentine and a cloth. It's a full size stereo component.

It came stock with NOS Phillips ECC88's installed. I needed to open it up as I could see one wasn't in the socket correctly through the top grille. It likely moved in transit. The front selector knobs click into place rather nicely. Nice and solid feeling.

I've some Siemens gold pin silver shield tubes coming as I think I'll prefer those to the Phillips which tend to be a bit on the warm side (like Mullards or Brimar, though thankfully nothing like GE tubes). As far as I can tell it's a tube buffer rather than an output stage as theres a switch on the front to turn the tubes on or off.

There's also a pair of NE5532 (might be different as though relying on my often poor memory, was NE55 something or other) OPAMPS on the board near the tubes so I believe those are used for gain. They're not socketed unfortunately so I won't be swapping them out. A shame as I've generally found Burson discrete OPAMPS better than most anything else I've tried.

Anyway, I'll report back when I've had a chance to actually listen to some music through it though if it sounds as good as it looks and feels I'm in for a treat.

I've also a used TDA1541 S1 on the way so this should be a noticeable improvement. I'd love to source an S2 though as far as I can tell those on eBay are all fakes.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #1,059 of 1,111
I've just received an Muji Studio DAC II, will receive the 240v to 110v step down transformer so I can power it up on Monday. If interested I could share feedback on that DAC, see how it compares with my Gieseler Groß DAC + Kraftwerk Linear Power Supply (a DAC that's bested the PS Audio DirectSteam in a number of head to heads).

Without powering it on I was initially surprised at how big and heavy it is. Not a plus as I lugged it home on public transport. Still it feels solid and appears very well built. The only thing I don't much like is some print on the face plate where it states "Collect only good sound" and 'Stereo Integrated Amplifier"... Not a deal breaker though stupid. It's a DAC, not an integrated amp. The Chingrish with regards to sound, strangely didn't worry me so much as the incorrect classification. I'll remove with some mineral turpentine and a cloth. It's a full size stereo component.

It came stock with NOS Phillips ECC88's installed. I needed to open it up as I could see one wasn't in the socket correctly through the top grille. It likely moved in transit. The front selector knobs click into place rather nicely. Nice and solid feeling.

I've some Siemens gold pin silver shield tubes coming as I think I'll prefer those to the Phillips which tend to be a bit on the warm side (like Mullards or Brimar, though thankfully nothing like GE tubes). As far as I can tell it's a tube buffer rather than an output stage as theres a switch on the front to turn the tubes on or off.

There's also a pair of NE5532 (might be different as though relying on my often poor memory, was NE55 something or other) OPAMPS on the board near the tubes so I believe those are used for gain. They're not socketed unfortunately so I won't be swapping them out. A shame as I've generally found Burson discrete OPAMPS better than most anything else I've tried.

Anyway, I'll report back when I've had a chance to actually listen to some music through it though if it sounds as good as it looks and feels I'm in for a treat.

I've also a used TDA1541 S1 on the way so this should be a noticeable improvement. I'd love to source an S2 though as far as I can tell those on eBay are all fakes.

Nice. The Audio Note Kit DACs are very good, and can be heavily modded. They are also easy to build. I have built 3, the last one was a heavily modded 4.1 with upgraded OPTs, I/Vs and digital board, Duelund caps, NOS tubes.

Mar 17, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #1,060 of 1,111
Nice. The Audio Note Kit DACs are very good, and can be heavily modded. They are also easy to build. I have built 3, the last one was a heavily modded 4.1 with upgraded OPTs, I/Vs and digital board, Duelund caps, NOS tubes.

Have just had Dueland JAM caps put in my Oldchen K3 tube integrated. Incredible improvement over the French made Solen Tinfoils I had in previously. More extended treble and bass, smooth, detailed and natural sounding with a very open sound stage. Just have to get some hours on the. I believe 3-400 hours is needed to get the best from them or so I've read. I may just be my favorite amp just now. The Muji II will be used with it, along with my Dayton PS220-8 full rangers.

I may see if I can have someone install sockets for the NE5532's at some point. Would love to roll in a pair of Burson V5i or maybe even V6 Classics.

May 4, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #1,061 of 1,111
Finally joined the R2R club and IT was a ear opener.
Such a wonderfull and musical sound from this vintage:
Screenshot_20190503_163228_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

May 4, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #1,062 of 1,111
Finally joined the R2R club and IT was a ear opener.
Such a wonderfull and musical sound from this vintage:

Beautiful, enjoyA!

May 19, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #1,063 of 1,111
I've been listening to the parasound dac for 2 weeks now and this is the best dac I've had.
It focuses on the wholeness of the music, but if you listen to each instruments it has lots of details and naturalness to the instruments.
Instruments have a wonderful sound, texture and decay.
It handles lots of instruments in the sound stage without loosing details or smear the instruments together.
Voices sounds wonderful.
Cymbals finally sounds natural and there is a natural air on top.
I found the balanced out much better than RCA with my Gustard h10, debating to order xlr to RCA cables since my speaker amp only has RCA.
Yet to try it on speakers, I'll update impressions after this has been tested.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #1,064 of 1,111
Ok, I'm now running a pair of LM4562NA and Burson V6 Vivid OPAMPS and what a massive improvement it's made over stock with the original complement of 4x NE5534. Still running the stock Philips ECC88's.

I've actually never heard better from digital content and unbelievably digital files played back through JRIVER are sounding better than my vinyl rig. Despite the low level hum which is inaudible when music is playing this is by far the most realistic audio playback I've ever heard. This is just magic.

To be fair I've changed from my Dayton PS220-8 full rangers with no crossovers back to my Oatlon W2-1000F after a full crossover rebuild and that has made an incredible improvement too. Despite being 97db efficient vs the 96.5db efficiency of the Daytons these don't reproduce low level hum as much.

Every song sounds like I'm there in the studio, or on the audience for live recordings. I thought my main system was good, and now it's not being used. Most songs it's like I'm hearing them for the first time. Detail is revealed that I never previously knew existed yet in a completely natural way that I generally associate with vinyl playback.

This has been a real eye opener for me. Clearly FLAC and DSD playback is completely unnecessary. A complete rort. Why have we gone backwards since the 90's? The other DAC I run is a Gieseler GroB DAC + Kraftwerk linear power supply and is not a cheap unit, but this absolutely kills it.

Still, I've a pair of Burson V5i OPAMPS on the way. I'll give those a try. Apparently the LM4562HA in metal cans are better than the LM4562NA so I may give those a try too. The Burson V6 Vivids are staying in there though as those are magic. Interestingly the V6 OPAMPS only work in one position and not the other despite them all originally being NE5534's. A little odd.

My unit has also been converted for native 240v operation rather than using a step down transformer.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #1,065 of 1,111
"unbelievably digital files played back through JRIVER are sounding better than my vinyl rig"

This comes as no surprise to me.
I've been running R2R DACs for years.
Vinyl only wins if the mastering is significantly better than CD mastering. (rarely but can happen) yes, DSD uses lots of HDD space to achieve the same thing as 16/44.1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back