Vintage/Current R2R DAC Owners Discussion, Insight, and Review Thread
Apr 21, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #781 of 1,111
They seem to go for close to $2K these days, at least the ones I've seen listed...(cheap compared to the original price, but still pricey)

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #782 of 1,111
So I swapped my Modi 2 out for the Progeny. My chain is now Wyrd -> Gustard U12 -> Progeny -> HD650

I used to use SonarWorks EQ to help out with sub-bass rolloff.  But I hook up the Progeny and holy cow.  HUGE subbass coming out of nowhere!  No longer need to use EQ, the bass hits very deep and hard.  I thought the HD650 was a bit light in the subbass region but maybe it was just the Modi.  Very happy with my purchase thus far.

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #783 of 1,111
Congrats and welcome to the Theta club!
Bass slam surely is a signature of Theta Dacs.

May 2, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #784 of 1,111
  So I swapped my Modi 2 out for the Progeny. My chain is now Wyrd -> Gustard U12 -> Progeny -> HD650

I used to use SonarWorks EQ to help out with sub-bass rolloff.  But I hook up the Progeny and holy cow.  HUGE subbass coming out of nowhere!  No longer need to use EQ, the bass hits very deep and hard.  I thought the HD650 was a bit light in the subbass region but maybe it was just the Modi.  Very happy with my purchase thus far.

The Progeny has better and bigger bass than the Chord Mojo too.

I prefer hi-res out of the Mojo though over downsampling to 16-bit / 44.1khz for the Theta. Redbook playback is the progeny's biggest strength
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #786 of 1,111
I was ready to sell the Assemblage DAC 2 as I'm close to grabbing an SFD-1.

I left it plugged in all weekend.

Got to work and it sounds much better after staying on for a few days...

Look forward to impressions, need R2R for the Bedroom Sytem now!

May 3, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #788 of 1,111
I was ready to sell the Assemblage DAC 2 as I'm close to grabbing an SFD-1.

I left it plugged in all weekend.

Got to work and it sounds much better after staying on for a few days...

http://www.audiophilia.com.vs5.korax.net/hardware/dac2.htm

I found this link when I was looking for reviews or information about the Theta progeny.

I thought you would enjoy this read. It compares the Assemblage DAC 2 to the Theta DS Pro progeny even though the DAC2 cost half of what the progeny cost in the day. The reviewer seemed to favor the treble presentation over the progeny too.

May 19, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #792 of 1,111
The Sonic Frontiers SFD-1 MKII arrived yesterday. It is absolutely gorgeous. It's the first oversampling DAC I've enjoyed in months.

Rich, organic, and musical with amazing extension on both ends. Some of the best bass I've heard out of anything, and the soundstage is pretty incredible.

I still love my MHDT Labs Atlantis w/ mods, but I'm going to sell my other Atlantis (unmodded) after it gets back from the mini tour.

I had to really love this thing to be able to deal with the massiveness, age, and lack of high sample rate compatibility, but it sounds too good to really care.

Paired with an ampsandsound Mogwai and the sound is simply heavenly. I was actually skeptical about this beast and expected to feel like it was overhyped, but I really don't think it is.

May 20, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #793 of 1,111
BIG NEWS, found out yesterday from Ben at Mojo Audio that they have a new DAC in development built around NOS PCM63K Chips!!! The finest sounding DAC Cip ever made, hopefully I'll have one in for review late Summer/early Fall!!!

May 20, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #794 of 1,111
BIG NEWS, found out yesterday from Ben at Mojo Audio that they have a new DAC in development built around NOS PCM63K Chips!!! The finest sounding DAC Cip ever made, hopefully I'll have one in for review late Summer/early Fall!!!

hmmmm... I sure don't need another DAC but........ the PCM63K huh? intriguing

May 20, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #795 of 1,111
I should be (finally) getting me LH labs Vi tube dac special Edition on the next few months, decidedly not R2R, but likely not needing more dacs...though it sure is tempting. Heard am early Mojo prototype, Ben makes fine sounding gear...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back