Vintage/Current R2R DAC Owners Discussion, Insight, and Review Thread
Sep 29, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #526 of 1,111

Here is a review of the DAC 83. And another. Make of them what you will! (I suspect the anonymized chip is an AD1896 ASRC used in conjunction with a DF1704.

Take a look at the Audio-GD DAC-19(10th anniversary edition). It's $800, dual PCM1704 R-2R and it sounds terrific. Audio-GD makes some very good DACs and this one would be better for you compared to the Gungnir multibit as I've heard the Gugnir multibit is brighter than the DAC-19.

It has single ended output only, but compares favourably to the Gungnir multibit balanced output.

I'll find the link to the comparison for you.

Edit: Here it is.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/763905/finding-a-dac-for-the-cavalli-liquid-carbon-only-four-months-to-go/1005#post_11872598

Well the DAC-19  just shot up straight up my list! Is it also a NOS, no negative feedback DAC as well?

Because for for $200+ more, the Lite DAC 83 has twice as many  PCM1704 chips, is balanced & is a no negative feedback/NOS. Seems like a better deal.

Though John H. Darko from digitalaudioreview.net said he choose the $500 TeraDak Chameleon (16 x tda1543 chips) over the Lite Dac 83 in one of his reviews.

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #527 of 1,111
Well the DAC-19  just shot up straight up my list! Is it also a NOS, no negative feedback DAC as well?

Because for for $200+ more, the Lite DAC 83 has twice as many  PCM1704 chips, is balanced & is a no negative feedback/NOS. Seems like a better deal.

Though John H. Darko from digitalaudioreview.net said he choose the $500 TeraDak Chameleon (16 x tda1543 chips) over the Lite Dac 83 in one of his reviews.

The 4 PCM1704 are because it's balanced. You need two 1704 in a stereo setup and four for a balanced setup. I've never heard the Lite DAC 83.

You can adjust the over sampling and PLL with jumpers in the DAC-19 (won't void warranty). I was a bit bummed that I don't get a balanced DAC with the DAC-19, but then again if it can dance toe to toe with the Gungnir multibit balanced then I guess I'm not really missing out. The SQ is both punchy and musical and very detailed (nano detail) at the same time. Kingwa (the designer at Audio-GD really knows his stuff).

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #528 of 1,111
The 4 PCM1704 are because it's balanced. You need two 1704 in a stereo setup and four for a balanced setup. I've never heard the Lite DAC 83.

You can adjust the over sampling and PLL with jumpers in the DAC-19 (won't void warranty). I was a bit bummed that I don't get a balanced DAC with the DAC-19, but then again if it can dance toe to toe with the Gungnir multibit balanced then I guess I'm not really missing out. The SQ is both punchy and musical and very detailed (nano detail) at the same time. Kingwa (the designer at Audio-GD really knows his stuff).

I think this describes the 1704 sound very well. And Audio-gd are known for their efforts in this area, so they would be a good bet and you should choose an Audio-gd player if you are in any doubt.

I did a lot of research into 1704 designs before buying. I'm not sure why others have chosen the DAC 83 (and many have), but my reasons are that I tend toward long-term satisfaction with gear that elevates the musical experience over and above the sonic one - if there is a choice to be made. It just so happens that the design of the DAC 83 sounds extremely impressive too. Magisterial, is a word that comes to mind. Extraneous detail (detail for detail's sake) and abnormal tonal emphasis are deal-killers for me.

Lastly, I'll note that none of the reviews that I have read on the 83 indicate whether the reviewer was able to implement the I2S connection. They all refer to the more normal digital inputs. I use the I2S connection exclusively with the Lite Audio LT-1 transport because it is superior to the others. As well as authority to the sound, there is an additional degree of sheer subtlety and delicacy to the sound that adds realism. Sometimes it really just sounds delicious. When I tried it with a fancy I2S cable, even more so.

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #529 of 1,111
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but thought this might be a good place to ask this.

I'm thinking about a source and amp upgrade and have been reading about the various R2R / multibit DAC's both new and old. I only use a MacBook Air as my source so USB is a big consideration. Most of the newer DAC's seem to have reasonably good USB implementations but if I wanted to try something that doesn't have USB does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced USB to SPDIF converter that does a decent job?

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #530 of 1,111
  Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but thought this might be a good place to ask this.

I'm thinking about a source and amp upgrade and have been reading about the various R2R / multibit DAC's both new and old. I only use a MacBook Air as my source so USB is a big consideration. Most of the newer DAC's seem to have reasonably good USB implementations but if I wanted to try something that doesn't have USB does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced USB to SPDIF converter that does a decent job?

I'm using a Peachtree Audio X1.
I hesitate to say you'll find it bit-perfect, but I like it. It is certainly decent, if not up the standards of John Darko.

Sep 30, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #531 of 1,111
Lite DAC 83 is a quite flat and boring sounding DAC. Detailed yes. But very flat and boring. Not vibrant. Not forward. Not recommended. However the lite DAC 68 with pcm1704 and tube output sounds excellent.

Sep 30, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #532 of 1,111
I couldn't care less what John Darko says. I've heard many dacs he reviews and find his opinion constantly conflicts with my experience with the same product. Also remember that he gets paid for his reviews so he always has something positive to say. Its not prudent to bite the hand that feeds. I on the other hand have no hesitation to say if something sounds below average or well above average.

Sep 30, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #533 of 1,111
Lite DAC 83 is a quite flat and boring sounding DAC. Detailed yes. But very flat and boring. Not vibrant. Not forward. Not recommended. However the lite DAC 68 with pcm1704 and tube output sounds excellent.

Erin - Thanks for your thoughts! Regarding the Lite DACs, were you referring to the DAC68 or the DAC60? From the data pages I can find the DAC68 uses a AD1853 while the DAC60 is PCM1704.

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #534 of 1,111

Well, agree that it doesn't sound forward. But it doesn't sound backward either. On he rest of your characterisation, I couldn't disagree more. 

I have no experience with the DAC-68, so cannot comment other than to say a) it's a Delta Sigma DAC, b) it uses JFET in the first part of its output stage and c) the tubes are only there as a buffer to add to the sound. Maybe you like the sound of Delta Sigma and tube buffers. Not me, though. I do like properly designed tube output stages though, or class A solid-state, but for seemingly the opposite reasons to you - which is totally cool.

I couldn't care less what John Darko says. I've heard many dacs he reviews and find his opinion constantly conflicts with my experience with the same product. Also remember that he gets paid for his reviews so he always has something positive to say. Its not prudent to bite the hand that feeds. I on the other hand have no hesitation to say if something sounds below average or well above average.

I also disagree with a lot of his rankings, but I didn't buy based on his opinion, and nor does it mean his reviews lack value. The points made about payment for services are not unusual, but notoriously difficult to prove (or show causality) with any reviewer. Using critical thinking is always good, however.

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #535 of 1,111
Just found a list of DAC chips & the short summery of each
http://www.soundbsessive.com/room/information-about-dac-chips/

So the (discontinued) PCM1704 chips in the Audio-GD & DAC lite are the top tier DAC chip right now.

Only the PCM63 & PCM65 chips are better. Which are even older & only available in vintage equipment?

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #536 of 1,111
One thing I know for sure is that my Theta DS Pro Progeny A is far from boring sounding. It's musical and engaging with tons of slam and good leading edge on instruments. The EAD w/ 2x PCM63P-k is arguably IMO more resolving and defined approach, but doesn't have the fun factor or as big of a soundstage as the Moffatt filtered Progeny which has a DSP. Remember this is 18-bit hybrid PCM67P-k versus two 20-bit PCM63P-k. So the DAC probably makes up roughly 20% of what you are hearing with the other 30-40% based in the power supply and output.

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #537 of 1,111
I repeat what I said before here. The sound you get from an R-2R is not just the chip set and the fact it doesn't mess (upsample) the data. It is also as big a deal the fact if it has a brick wall filter, (better without any), a well designed power supply (I much prefer tubed) and a well designed true amplifier section, not some buffer or negative feedback design.

There are some great R-2R, some not good, also some great DS designs, many many not good. Of course IMO. But I am hoping some of you guys will check out the better tubed R-2R DACs there is around, it is a revelation - trust me, or better, trust your ears....

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #539 of 1,111
Take a look at the Audio-GD DAC-19(10th anniversary edition). It's $800, dual PCM1704 R-2R and it sounds terrific. Audio-GD makes some very good DACs and this one would be better for you compared to the Gungnir multibit as I've heard the Gugnir multibit is brighter than the DAC-19.

It has single ended output only, but compares favourably to the Gungnir multibit balanced output.

I'll find the link to the comparison for you.

Edit: Here it is.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/763905/finding-a-dac-for-the-cavalli-liquid-carbon-only-four-months-to-go/1005#post_11872598

+1 on the Dac19 - excellent choice if you're considering a gumby or the gungnir multibit...

the SE sounds amazing on the DAC19 and the SE sounds "meh" on the GMB. Overall the DAC19 is much better than the GMB in all aspects and significantly less. order it with the Amanero Combo 384 USB input and you'll have internally linear powered usb input with super ultra low jitter spec of .02ps-2.42ps...near femto level accuracy. (.5ps or less)

anyhoo... DAC19!!!  

if you're in Yggdrasil territory, no brainer to go for the master11 instead. :wink:

a yggdrasil and ragnarok is a fortune = 4-5k?
a master 11 is.... 2k  and sounds better than the above to many. but honestly it's in the same category imho. it's more of an preference. Schiit is more forward and aggressive, personally I find fatiguing...same with GMB... the DAC19 and Master11 is full of rich details and amazing sound stage, yet smooth enough to not be fatiguing for long term listening.  Maybe if you're older and losing your hearing the schiit house sound might be ok...i'm still kinda sensitive to overly bright sounding dac's. I prefer as neutral as possible. Just my two cents. 

-T

Sep 30, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #540 of 1,111
has anyone had the opportunity to audition both the Yggy and AGD Master 7? They are priced equally and both fully balanced. Wondering which one you would choose and why? Yes... I am going to order one of these very soon and am a bit conflicted over my choice. Many thanks for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back