Vintage/Current R2R DAC Owners Discussion, Insight, and Review Thread
Aug 23, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #136 of 1,111
That mirrors my findings with the Monarchy DAC, probably going to sell the Bifrost and pick up a Lite 60, RB2013 has me highly intrigued.

Glad to see the cap and transformer upgrade improved the sound. 

Remember over on the Lyr tube rolling thread - every time I would mention R2R DAC vs the SQ of the Uber - the flames came out. 
redface.gif

Really happy you started this thread.

Aug 23, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #137 of 1,111
Glad to see the cap and transformer upgrade improved the sound. 

Remember over on the Lyr tube rolling thread - every time I would mention R2R DAC vs the SQ of the Uber - the flames came out.  :xf_eek:

Really happy you started this thread.

After the demise of Purrin's Thread I wanted to start a place where the technically adept and those like myself to share R2R "love".

Plus the market is really responding to the R2R demand, so a place to discover the new stuff available.

Aug 23, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #138 of 1,111
I'm actually curious as to how that DiYinHK PCM1704 kit will do. I might pick it up and have a play-around once I'm done with my current project.

Aug 23, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #140 of 1,111
I have the Audio-GD Master 7. Everybody who has heard it says it is the best bass they have ever heard
The bass is deep and very tight. I just was listening to Alien 3 and the bass was thunderess. This Master 7 is the best dac I have ever heard
It replaced my Metrum Hex which I feel is a great dac but can't compare to the Master7
Alan

Aug 23, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #141 of 1,111
I have the Audio-GD Master 7. Everybody who has heard it says it is the best bass they have ever heard
The bass is deep and very tight. I just was listening to Alien 3 and the bass was thunderess. This Master 7 is the best dac I have ever heard
It replaced my Metrum Hex which I feel is a great dac but can't compare to the Master7
Alan
Metrum Hex - no slacker there. Chaulk up another one for the R2R PCM1704

Cheers

Aug 23, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #142 of 1,111
Alan

Hey Alan, good to see you here. Lots of 1704 love around these parts. Good to hear that your bass reproduction is not lacking. Nice.

Perhaps system integration and/or configuration holds sway for the Model 7. It certainly has a lot of options up its sleeves.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #143 of 1,111

I won't be surprise if someone at headfi starts a new thread: Sigma Delta DAC Owners Discussion, Insight, and Review Thread

Are you saying the sigma delta folks have thread envy, lol:beers:!

To be fair, some well implemented sigma delta dacs can sound good(very difficult to detect the sigma delta harsh unless you try hard or have very resolving gear). And there are some badly implemented R2R dacs(murky or noisy sounding) as well(due to bad power supply, bad usb chipset or just bad design). 

Power supply quality, USB input, Digital Filter stage, Analog Stage all can dramatically affect the sound in one way or another. R2R is just one(bigger) part of the equation.

Of course I will highly recommend everyone who can afford the possibly higher price tag of R2R DAC to go experience it for yourself if you have never heard one before.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #144 of 1,111
To be fair, some well implemented sigma delta dacs can sound good(very difficult to detect the sigma delta harsh unless you try hard or have very resolving gear). And there are some badly implemented R2R dacs(murky or noisy sounding) as well(due to bad power supply, bad usb chipset or just bad design). 

Power supply quality, USB input, Digital Filter stage, Analog Stage all can dramatically affect the sound in one way or another. R2R is just one(bigger) part of the equation.

Of course I will highly recommend everyone who can afford the possibly higher price tag of R2R DAC to go experience it for yourself if you have never heard one before.

True, but the delta sigma implementations are very expensive. Though R2R is heading that way as well, fortunately there are still quite a few "vintage" DACs popping up on-line. Though I am guessing they all will become like the Theta stuff.

I need to find that list of PCM63/1704 DACs from Purrin's list.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #145 of 1,111
Agree with the above...had an Adcom CD player back in the day, believe it was R2R, wound up trading it for the Proceed CD plaber, then gave that to my brother in law and got the Meitner Museatex Bidat, which I used for quite a long time. didn't like the Adcom at all, muddy and flat sounding if I remember correctly. It was entry lever DAC, and early in the digital days, so that's not a smack at it, but it wasn't up to my analog rest of system. Nor was the Meitner for that matter, but it came closer...

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #146 of 1,111
From looking at eBay a bit, looks like Theta has been bid up, not a way to get in on the cheap any more.
Have to look into getting my Mojo Mystique R2R back in the chain, have to contact Mojo about it.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #147 of 1,111
Looking forward to hearing more about your impressions with the Mojo back in your system!

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #148 of 1,111
Alan

Not everyone.  If you read back in the Master 7 thread.  You'll get an understanding on how most people who've owned it fill about the bass.

I bought it twice and sold it twice.

Aug 24, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #149 of 1,111

For me, an easy test is a complex horn sound. The French horn is particularly good at revealing the limits of a Sabre design, especially long sustained tones. Too often, a Sabre design will sound like it is trying to guess what a French horn sounds like while reconstituting the timbre - seemingly recalculating the timbre, subtly shifting and altering it as it plays, second-guessing itself. 

An R2R, properly designed, will sound fulsome and assured, and not like aural steak tartare, so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back