Vintage Columbia Speakers & Tube Amp!? What is this???
Jul 3, 2009 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jesse Peters

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I live in Baltimore so people throw cool stuff away all the time, so recently I came across this old beautiful Columbia Speaker Cabinet made out of this dark hardwood and a tube amp inside. Unfortunately, I can't find any information about this thing except that it was probably made in the late 50s, so I'm posting some pictures so you all can take a look and maybe tell me if it is something worth repairing? I can't find anywhere where it says Columbia made audio equipment like this, but it looks like they put a lot of effort in building this thing. Any help or feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks a lot guys.

SDC10445.jpg

SDC10441.jpg

SDC10444.jpg

SDC10443.jpg

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 12
I don't realy have any experience with speakers, but it looks pretty sweet!

From your post i asume its not working? Would love to hear from you how it sounds.

Nice piece of gear you've got there anyway.

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 12
Hey Stitch. Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the thing doesn't work and I don't know anything about the system, so I'm trying to figure out whether it's something awesome that I should invest my time repairing. But as of now I'm just waiting for some feedback.

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 12
I don't know, but I wonder if this is part of a PA or a studio monitor of some kind.

Also, I think that might be a stereo amp. According to the schematic, the power transformer has filament windings and it shows one output transformer. But there are three transformers on the chassis. So there's a fair chance that there is a second output transformer and it'll do stereo.

If that's the case, yank the amp and restore it. If you don't go boutique (try Orange Drops, Sprague electrolytics and Vishay-Dale resistors) you should be able to replace all of those for under $50. It should be entirely point-to-point inside, too, which is easy to work on.

Good luck and post updates if you take this on as a project!

Jul 5, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Peters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Stitch. Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the thing doesn't work and I don't know anything about the system, so I'm trying to figure out whether it's something awesome that I should invest my time repairing. But as of now I'm just waiting for some feedback.

This looks like real old amp. The capacitor might most likely non working. The tubes are probably bad too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know, but I wonder if this is part of a PA or a studio monitor of some kind.

Also, I think that might be a stereo amp. According to the schematic, the power transformer has filament windings and it shows one output transformer. But there are three transformers on the chassis. So there's a fair chance that there is a second output transformer and it'll do stereo.

If that's the case, yank the amp and restore it. If you don't go boutique (try Orange Drops, Sprague electrolytics and Vishay-Dale resistors) you should be able to replace all of those for under $50. It should be entirely point-to-point inside, too, which is easy to work on.

This is indeed a stereo amp. Input 5 and 6 is going to the other channel. Also there are two output transformers at the amplifier.

I am not an expert. IMO, this is not worth working on. This looks like one of those integrated stereo system with speaker, amplifier, radio and turntable furniture. When I was growing up my dad used to have one. I think the only value is the antique value.

Jul 5, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 12
Hey guys thanks for the input so far. You all are are correct - it is a stereo amp. I'm sorry I didn't take a picture of the full unit, there is an additional speaker on the left side (left channel). If I can fix this up for $50 and have a good tube amp and speakers I will definitely bite. I am an engineering college student with modest funds and a Hakko 936 soldering station
wink.gif
so I am certainly hoping to fix this baby up if I can find out if it's worth it. I will be sure to post pictures as well if anyone can tell me if she's a good system - also any part recommendations would be great (thank you Uncle Erik). I look forward to hearing more. Thanks again.

Jul 5, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This looks like real old amp. The capacitor might most likely non working. The tubes are probably bad too.

This is indeed a stereo amp. Input 5 and 6 is going to the other channel. Also there are two output transformers at the amplifier.

I am not an expert. IMO, this is not worth working on. This looks like one of those integrated stereo system with speaker, amplifier, radio and turntable furniture. When I was growing up my dad used to have one. I think the only value is the antique value.

The old can capacitor shown in the photo is likely bad. The old electrolytics don't hold up well and modern ones are much better and not expensive.

The tubes, however, are likely good. I've worked on lots of old radios over the years and, surprisingly, the tubes are almost always good. It's the filter capacitors (electrolytics) that bite the dust first. Then the old wax and paper capacitors open up and the carbon comp resistors drift like the sea.

When you replace all of those, you get surprisingly good sound from even a 60 year old set. My favorite place to find parts is Antique Electronic Supply, which has been good to me over the years. I strongly suggest replacing all of the resistors. They're cheap, but it ups the labor. However, the old carbon comp ones are never in spec (check them with your DMM as you yank them) so modern ones really stabilize the sound.

I disagree. I do think this is worth fixing up. You can find everything you need at AES. You can even get new grille cloth for the speakers if you want.

I haven't always been impressed with vintage speakers, but you can upgrade. There are good, inexpensive, fullrange units at Madisound. Be sure to check the specials. If you have a jigsaw, you can cut MDF to modify the internal size of those speakers to get the right size for the drivers you choose. MDF is dead cheap, and you might even be able to accomplish it with offcuts from Home Depot - they give them away.

So, get the amp working again. I think it's cool and would have absolutely picked it up, as well. If you want to take a shot at upgrading the speakers, you can do that, too. I think a pair of good quality fullrangers would sound terrific.

Jul 17, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 12
I found an audio-visual guy to do an inspection on the thing, and unfortunately one of the transformers was out so it wasn't worth repairing.

Luckily though, I decided to test out the speakers to see if they were garbage by stripping the wires and plugging them into a klipsch amp I had around.

All I can say is that the bass is gargantuan, the mids are a little muttled, the highs very sharp, and there is a glorious projection of sound that floods into the room that I have never before experienced. They probably had some good ideas way back then when they stuffed speakers into large cabinets.

Take care guys and thanks again for the help. - JP

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #10 of 12
My folks have an old Columbia stereo system. I removed the speakers(they seem OK) nad the amplifier. I would like to make a guitar amp using the speakers and the amp. the diode tube and the power transformer seem OK but the amp is missing the three amplifier tubes. What are the numbers of the tubes and where can I get  replacements? The model number of the amp is 59600.  Tigger 7074 

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #11 of 12
I had this stereo system in the late 50"s early 60's. Columbia had a deal whereby someone bought so many l.p.'s and the stereo was free!!! The sound was SUPERB!!! One side had the radio/stereo controls, and the other side the turntable. The top lifted to gain access. the center shelves had these large l.p. holders--10 of them I think. All in all, it was a sweet system!!!! When I purchased my first house, there was no space for this console, and get the full stereo effect, so----I cut the center section out, drilled holes in the floor, and reconnected the wiring in the basement. It was beautiful, although I do remember needing to have another beer before making the first cut!!!!

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #12 of 12
I had this stereo system in the late 50"s early 60's. Columbia had a deal whereby someone bought so many l.p.'s and the stereo was free!!! The sound was SUPERB!!! One side had the radio/stereo controls, and the other side the turntable. The top lifted to gain access. the center shelves had these large l.p. holders--10 of them I think. All in all, it was a sweet system!!!! When I purchased my first house, there was no space for this console, and get the full stereo effect, so----I cut the center section out, drilled holes in the floor, and reconnected the wiring in the basement. It was beautiful, although I do remember needing to have another beer before making the first cut!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back